vb:literal>

Thread: Sunkhaze meadows

Default Sunkhaze meadows

Does anyone have any info on paddling in Sunkhaze? putin & take out spots? has anyone ever paddled this area? Any geocaches there?
    I plan to go with my mom july 4th so any info would be helpful,
    thanks
    Carol

There is a boat launch on the Penobscot River right where Sunkhaze Stream runs into it. I have never paddled it. There is one cache in the Refuge, but I think you might have trouble getting to it by kayak. I don't think you could even get close without having to walk through half a mile or more of swamp. But you could drive to it while in the area.

For the Love of Peat (GCHNEK) by maineguide (2/2)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

That cache is a nice walk in on the gated access road. I really enjoyed it. And while there you can scoot out the Stud Mill Road and get Maine's Rock Star. Or for Carole whose Mom is down East that might be a way in.

d’76 Guest

I have paddled Sunkhaze and it is a good paddled. I would recommend paddling from the launch on the Penobscot or the Stud Mill rd. From the Penobby I can only think of one Beaver Dam a couple of miles up and as I remember it was a small one. The last time I was up there we saw a bear cub.

Good Luck

thank you all for the info. I will try that launch on the penobscot. My mom is actually coming out to Bangor tue night to meet me and we are going north from there, we will paddle here on wed, and then go again north....

thanks again for the info!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cape ann carol View Post
    thank you all for the info. I will try that launch on the penobscot. My mom is actually coming out to Bangor tue night to meet me and we are going north from there, we will paddle here on wed, and then go again north....

thanks again for the info!
    If MApsource is correct here is the coords. N44 59.200 W68 38.161 Heading out of Old Town going North it will be on the Right, opposite the River. Its a tough launch to use since they used a very course, kinda ragged stone to grade the launch.

Good Luck and take some pics and post them please.

cool - thanks for the coords.
    is the launch a steep embankment on that ragged stone? I will be hauling my trailer, do you think there is there enough parking here?
    If anyone would like to join us - please let me know.
    Counting the days .....I cant wait!

d’76 Guest

cool - thanks for the coords.
    is the launch a steep embankment on that ragged stone? I will be hauling my trailer, do you think there is there enough parking here?
    If anyone would like to join us - please let me know.
    Counting the days .....I cant wait!
    Parking is back up on the road a bit and the trialer would be tough to use to launch the canoe. Maybe you could hand cary the canoe

Talking

Cool thanks Dave,
    I will look for that parking spot. does the launch have a turnaround or does it just go in straight?
    I just got the trailer last year so I am still getting used to turning it around and backing up and all so I try not to get into a spot I cant get out. I carry the canoes no problem, but when i need more than one boat I have to bring the trailer.
    Do you know anything about the roads into Desconeag? That is where we will be heading to after Sunkaze. I hope to get the trailer in there with the boats. We plan to paddle, camp & cache there for a couple days too.
    thanks again!!!
    We paddled to a cache today here in Gloucester from the beach and had some fun current under the bridges that we played in...so much fun...the weekend needs to be extended!

d’76 Guest

Cool thanks Dave,
    I will look for that parking spot. does the launch have a turnaround or does it just go in straight?
    I just got the trailer last year so I am still getting used to turning it around and backing up and all so I try not to get into a spot I cant get out. I carry the canoes no problem, but when i need more than one boat I have to bring the trailer.
    Do you know anything about the roads into Desconeag? That is where we will be heading to after Sunkaze. I hope to get the trailer in there with the boats. We plan to paddle, camp & cache there for a couple days too.
    thanks again!!!
    We paddled to a cache today here in Gloucester from the beach and had some fun current under the bridges that we played in...so much fun...the weekend needs to be extended!

Yes I am familiar with Debsconeag, You need a 4 wheel drive to get in there. The road is horrible and its about 4 miles in there. Good luck with that. The boat luanch at sunkhaze would be best carried in.