vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now this is a 4x4 event!!!

Default Now this is a 4x4 event!!!

I think we need two things... 1) a freind with lots of land we can put trails on. and 2) these guys to come show us how it's done!....

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-27043b6764ae
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

If I were to take the time to host a 4x4 event this would be how I would like to host it.

The event would be at a location that you could only get to by a 4x4. It does not have to be a built up 4x4 but something that needs a 4WD engaged to get there and just a little bit rough.

It would not be a short trip in either. It would have to be at least 4 or 5 miles in.

If you can not get to the event by walking in, coming in with a 4WD then you can not log the event.

The best way to do this though would be as a group and meeting at a specified location first and then all drive in together, but this would not be a requirement.

It would also be an overnight event at the event location.
    Blazing Troll

Slightly off-topic: I was reading an article a while back - I wish I knew the magazine and date so I could have a copy as it was interesting. Anyway, they were talking about these people who surveyed maps and aerials of Maine to find where the most remote spot was (remote meaning the longest distance from any road or trail). IIRC, the longest I they could find was only about 5 miles! We think of maine as being remote, but there are lot of trails and many miles of logging roads - I think he same article was stating we have more miles of logging roads than paved roads, highest percentage in the U.S..

More on-topic: There is a way to make a mandated longer drive to an event - make it a multi! I know Rick don't care for them as much, but you could have coords to different spots to get you to the actual event. It could even be markers where you need to turn. I bet I could do a good job out near my old house... hmmm... I refuse to host an event, but I might be willing to help anyone out there. I think I could make a decent multicache 4WD trip from Old Town about 10 miles crossing a stream and few puddles and some rougher rocky stuff having the event on a mountaintop with a great view. The good part about it would be once you are finished it would be a 1.5 mile drive to paved road to go home.
    Last edited by brdad; 06-26-2007 at 06:34 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I think we need two things... 1) a freind with lots of land we can put trails on. and 2) these guys to come show us how it's done!....

Sooooo . . . is our Tread Lightly event going to have all you can eat pizza, videos, GPSr units given away as door prizes, etc. Quite an event they put on . . . too bad you couldn't make it . . . I think you could have taken away the Most Trail Damage to Jeep award.

Speaking of the TL Event . . . any word on when, an itinerary for the trip, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention . . . I know a guy who 1) has lots of land that he has built 4 x 4 trails on in Western Maine and 2) he would probably be willing to show folks how to really use their 4WD vehicles -- of course this might be a bit extreme for some folks -- myself included -- I have no issues going off road and engaging the 4WD, but since my SUV is also my POV I really can't do too much heavy-duty off-roading (that's where my ATV comes in handy.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Yeah, it would be nice to set somethin up like this, but like dave said, only about 5 miles is about as good as youll get. Even that trail that we drove down for the last 4x4 even was only about 10 (and it was only that bad because all the culverts were ripped out) The other hard thing about it is finding a trail that isn't on private property, or just a 4wheeler trail (vehicles arent allowed on wheeler trails) last weekend when stef and I went scouting again for more places to play, just about every time we found a good spot, it was marked off as private property no trespassing, or logging property no trespassing... out in colorado is a completly differnt story... (lucky bastards...)

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    If I were to take the time to host a 4x4 event this would be how I would like to host it.

The event would be at a location that you could only get to by a 4x4. It does not have to be a built up 4x4 but something that needs a 4WD engaged to get there and just a little bit rough.

It would not be a short trip in either. It would have to be at least 4 or 5 miles in.

If you can not get to the event by walking in, coming in with a 4WD then you can not log the event.

The best way to do this though would be as a group and meeting at a specified location first and then all drive in together, but this would not be a requirement.

It would also be an overnight event at the event location.
    Sort of like the Tread Lightly 2007: The Return of Hiram's White Jeep (aka What Parts Will He Lose This Time) Event?

Personally, I liked Day 2 of last year's TL Event as the rough road to Greenville, ride into Arc de Vic (OK, I kind of forgot the actual name of that cache), etc. was just what I was looking for and expecting in that event.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Sooooo . . . is our Tread Lightly event going to have all you can eat pizza, videos, GPSr units given away as door prizes, etc. Quite an event they put on . . . too bad you couldn't make it . . . I think you could have taken away the Most Trail Damage to Jeep award.

Speaking of the TL Event . . . any word on when, an itinerary for the trip, etc.

thanks for the encouraging words jake... maybe i could make it if other people were willing to help out as much as they were willing to talk...

no word yet, were going on 60hours since I posted the cache page, the guidelines say that it could take up to 72hrs... so at 71hrs and 59 minutes i'll send an email to GPSfun and find out whats goin on...

thanks for the encouraging words jake... maybe i could make it if other people were willing to help out as much as they were willing to talk...

no word yet, were going on 60hours since I posted the cache page, the guidelines say that it could take up to 72hrs... so at 71hrs and 59 minutes i'll send an email to GPSfun and find out whats goin on...
    If that's a hint, can I help out with anything for the TL event . . . short of ordering up enough UHOP pizzas for everyone? Uh, seriously, if there is anything I can do let me know . . . even if it's just a financial donation to offset the cost of the give-aways you bought.

And if it's any consolation I sent in a cache about 2 hours after you did apparently and I'm still waiting as well . . . not a big deal, but very unusual for GPSFun.

Yeah, it would be nice to set somethin up like this, but like dave said, only about 5 miles is about as good as youll get. Even that trail that we drove down for the last 4x4 even was only about 10 (and it was only that bad because all the culverts were ripped out) The other hard thing about it is finding a trail that isn't on private property, or just a 4wheeler trail (vehicles arent allowed on wheeler trails) last weekend when stef and I went scouting again for more places to play, just about every time we found a good spot, it was marked off as private property no trespassing, or logging property no trespassing... out in colorado is a completly differnt story... (lucky bastards...)
    So that said, where you able to find anything decent to ride on . . . surely there must be some road up that a way that is in disrepair.