vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Now this is a 4x4 event!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Slightly off-topic: I was reading an article a while back - I wish I knew the magazine and date so I could have a copy as it was interesting. Anyway, they were talking about these people who surveyed maps and aerials of Maine to find where the most remote spot was (remote meaning the longest distance from any road or trail). IIRC, the longest I they could find was only about 5 miles! We think of maine as being remote, but there are lot of trails and many miles of logging roads - I think he same article was stating we have more miles of logging roads than paved roads, highest percentage in the U.S..

More on-topic: There is a way to make a mandated longer drive to an event - make it a multi! I know Rick don't care for them as much, but you could have coords to different spots to get you to the actual event. It could even be markers where you need to turn. I bet I could do a good job out near my old house... hmmm... I refuse to host an event, but I might be willing to help anyone out there. I think I could make a decent multicache 4WD trip from Old Town about 10 miles crossing a stream and few puddles and some rougher rocky stuff having the event on a mountaintop with a great view. The good part about it would be once you are finished it would be a 1.5 mile drive to paved road to go home.
    Sounds like that could be quite fun Dave . . . maybe someone else in the area might run with that idea at some point or it could be Tread Lightly 2008: The Old Town Odyssey (aka Hiram Loses Even More Parts on His Jeep) Event.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    If that's a hint, can I help out with anything for the TL event . . .
    well.... we have asked for help that last few weekends for a second vehicle to go with us to find good trails, but everyone is too busy for us... (there's only so much stuff I'm willing to solo, I need someone to follow behind to pick up the parts... and have a tow strap ready, the first weekend stef and I went was when we framed it in the quick sand, then last weekend it almost didn't start... but it's still running!! )
    short of ordering up enough UHOP pizzas for everyone? Uh, seriously, if there is anything I can do let me know . . . even if it's just a financial donation to offset the cost of the give-aways you bought.
    but if you wanted to do somethin to help out in this manner, extra door prizes would be nice (so far I have TL mug, water bottle, and stickers,)

And if it's any consolation I sent in a cache about 2 hours after you did apparently and I'm still waiting as well . . . not a big deal, but very unusual for GPSFun.
    but i want it approved now!!! it's drivin me nuts with anticipation!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    well.... we have asked for help that last few weekends for a second vehicle to go with us to find good trails, but everyone is too busy for us... (there's only so much stuff I'm willing to solo, I need someone to follow behind to pick up the parts... and have a tow strap ready, the first weekend stef and I went was when we framed it in the quick sand, then last weekend it almost didn't start... but it's still running!! )
    but if you wanted to do somethin to help out in this manner, extra door prizes would be nice (so far I have TL mug, water bottle, and stickers,)

but i want it approved now!!! it's drivin me nuts with anticipation!!
    Oh yeah . . . mea culpa . . . but I did have some good excuses didn't I -- a good friend was getting married but then I had to cancel because Heidi ended up in the hospital and then my dog ate my homework and . . .

Yeah, I'm sorry about that . . . I can provide some door prizes of some sort. Let me think of what I can come up with . . . or send me a list of some ideas . . . I could provide all kinds of really cool smoke detectors, but somehow that just doesn't seem to fit in with the theme of this event and most normal folks don't find smoke detectors all that cool for some odd reason.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Doh! the page just got denied... it needs to be more cache orriented... I'll have to work on it I guess...

Doh! the page just got denied... it needs to be more cache orriented... I'll have to work on it I guess...
    Mine just came through as approved . . .

So are you off today or just getting a late start?

So what can you do to make it more cache oriented? Pick a 4WD route to a series of caches culminating in a campfire discussion about caching? Just curious having never hosted an event and only having gone to 1 1/2 (I figure I was only at Vic's Winter Camping Cache Event for a short time . . . hence the 1/2. )

Oh yeah, remind me again . . . is it July 21-22 or July 28-29 . . . I know both of those dates were thrown around at some point . . . need to block it out on my work calendar, Palm, etc.

Mine just came through as approved . . .

So are you off today or just getting a late start?

So what can you do to make it more cache oriented? Pick a 4WD route to a series of caches culminating in a campfire discussion about caching? Just curious having never hosted an event and only having gone to 1 1/2 (I figure I was only at Vic's Winter Camping Cache Event for a short time . . . hence the 1/2. )
    He just wanted the page reorganized to be more caching oriented, i just resubmitted... well see how it goes... and yeah, I think im havin a late start... lots of uhhh.. paperwork to catch up on...

Oh yeah, remind me again . . . is it July 21-22 or July 28-29 . . . I know both of those dates were thrown around at some point . . . need to block it out on my work calendar, Palm, etc.
    28/29

well.... we have asked for help that last few weekends for a second vehicle to go with us to find good trails, but everyone is too busy for us... (there's only so much stuff I'm willing to solo, I need someone to follow behind to pick up the parts... and have a tow strap ready, the first weekend stef and I went was when we framed it in the quick sand, then last weekend it almost didn't start...
    Man, if my Jeep was drivable, I'd be there. Due to circumstances (i.e. Jeep not getting done in time), it looks like we'll be heading West later than anticipated, and likely won't make Cali. The plan now is to at least make Utah, but we'll see how things go.

The good news: the lift is on, and the new rear driveshaft should be here in a couple of days so we can burn the spring pads and shock mounts on the new axle--that will pretty much complete the rear end. We got the ARB compressor and air lines pretty much done yesterday and are now working on switch wiring. Then we've gotta address the brake booster swap and ABS removal issue for the rear discs. Once the thing is drivable again, it goes to the "real" garage for front axle/locker/R&P install. Then, we'll need to trim off enough sheet metal to get the 33"s to fit w/o rubbing.

That sounds like a lot, but I'm hoping to be able to give it a shakedown run within 2 weeks (probably optomistic, but you never know). I'll give a shout when it is actually ready and perhaps we can find some trails to break it in (or just break it).

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    Man, if my Jeep was drivable, I'd be there. Due to circumstances (i.e. Jeep not getting done in time), it looks like we'll be heading West later than anticipated, and likely won't make Cali. The plan now is to at least make Utah, but we'll see how things go.

The good news: the lift is on, and the new rear driveshaft should be here in a couple of days so we can burn the spring pads and shock mounts on the new axle--that will pretty much complete the rear end. We got the ARB compressor and air lines pretty much done yesterday and are now working on switch wiring. Then we've gotta address the brake booster swap and ABS removal issue for the rear discs. Once the thing is drivable again, it goes to the "real" garage for front axle/locker/R&P install. Then, we'll need to trim off enough sheet metal to get the 33"s to fit w/o rubbing.

That sounds like a lot, but I'm hoping to be able to give it a shakedown run within 2 weeks (probably optomistic, but you never know). I'll give a shout when it is actually ready and perhaps we can find some trails to break it in (or just break it).
    when do you plan on taking your trip??? you'll be cuttin pretty close if ya go on your trip and try to make the event. (and yeah, that sounds like a lot of work to be done in that amount of time, that'll take a lot of beer to do...)

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    More on-topic: There is a way to make a mandated longer drive to an event - make it a multi! I know Rick don't care for them as much, but you could have coords to different spots to get you to the actual event. It could even be markers where you need to turn. I bet I could do a good job out near my old house... hmmm... I refuse to host an event, but I might be willing to help anyone out there. I think I could make a decent multicache 4WD trip from Old Town about 10 miles crossing a stream and few puddles and some rougher rocky stuff having the event on a mountaintop with a great view. The good part about it would be once you are finished it would be a 1.5 mile drive to paved road to go home.
    Dave, I want to set up a fall event so I may be getting a hold of you on this one. I have some great ideas for a event of this type and maybe since you refuse to hold an event maybe you will think about helping to setting one up.
    Blazing Troll