vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: TL 2007: Return of the ORCA (recon)

Default TL 2007: Return of the ORCA (recon)

Well, it looks great for having a downeast adventure this year. And not only can it just be an off-road adventure, but it can be a canoe/kyak/boat/hike/atv/or sit around the campfire adventure weekend!!

Stef and I went up this weekend to do a little recon for the adventure, and it started out like any other adventure (meaning that it started out terrible...) First the A/C in the jeep died (it appears to be the clutch on the compressor, and it gets loud...) Second every single primitive site that we went to from west lake up to duck pond and middle unknown pond were packed shoulder to shoulder... We finally found a windy spot on the beach of middle unkown, the neighbor had the radio in his truck blaring TOS, but it was just one guy in the afternoon enjoyin himself, no big deal... so we setup the tent (in very windy conditions) and soon they came... ATVs, lots of them... so given my camping intuition we packed up in less than 5 minutes and we're on the road (sound familiar??) We stopped for lunch and weighed our options, just about every site on map within a 50 mile radius was taken up or undesirable... So feeling conquered and staring at the map I saw a little number by a tent... what's this?? a campground!! we called the number in the atlas... no answer, so for our one last attempt for survival we ventured off towards topsfield in hopes of finding a beacon in the dark... and boy did we find it!!!

The Maine Wilderness Campground: Set back in the woods about 3 miles, has everything from camper hookups, cabins, tent sites, boat, canoe, and kyak rentals, docks, a beach for swimming, surrounded by lots of forest, atv trails, and loons! (they're also open year round! winter event!!) The nice lady that runs the place (Charolette) lives there with her family (off the grid, year round) And was very welcoming of the idea about having our group stay a weekend up there!

Now all we need to do is set a date!

(we're also going to try and do another trip up there to place a few caches in the area)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Yeah, the whole morning was kinda just a big rut... (pun intended) we were tryin to find a remote primative site on the back side of duck pond, went a bit to the side of the road to go around a fallen tree and found some quick sand (this is why they tell you to stay in the middle of the logging roads) on the return trip I just moved the tree... (we had so much sand packed in, that even after hosing it out we were picking rocks out of the brakes all weekend, the sand was packed in so much into the wheel wells that it was actually throwin off the weigt of the tires making a very bumpy ride, and the rocks hidden in the muck stopped us dead in our tracks and knocked the jeep outta alingment)

Plenty of room! there's about as much space at one of these sites that we had at the 2006 rally.

My favorite part about the campsite.... this is what the place looks like on memorial day weekend! (and the lady was complaining how busy it was!)

ahhhhhh....

and there's good directions along the logging roads on how to get there.

So - do you have a date yet? Don't have a 4 x 4 but the campground looks inviting.......and a geoevent is always fun :-)
    Last edited by hollora; 05-28-2007 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Needed to add something

Exclamation Pick a Date!!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    So - do you have a date yet?
    No, Hollora, we need one. Folks were honing in on late July...
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

P.S.... I spelled the thread name wrong... how do i change that???

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    P.S.... I spelled the thread name wrong... how do i change that???
    You can't. I have to correct it. What is is suppose to say?
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    You can't. I have to correct it. What is is suppose to say?
    I'm guessing it is supposed to be "TL" as in Tread Lightly, not "TR" (Tread Rough ).
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    So - do you have a date yet? Don't have a 4 x 4 but the campground looks inviting.......and a geoevent is always fun :-)
    That shouldn't be an issue as many folks are willing to haul a passenger or two or three to an event like this.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Well, it looks great for having a downeast adventure this year. And not only can it just be an off-road adventure, but it can be a canoe/kyak/boat/hike/atv/or sit around the campfire adventure weekend!!

Stef and I went up this weekend to do a little recon for the adventure, and it started out like any other adventure (meaning that it started out terrible...) First the A/C in the jeep died (it appears to be the clutch on the compressor, and it gets loud...) Second every single primitive site that we went to from west lake up to duck pond and middle unknown pond were packed shoulder to shoulder... We finally found a windy spot on the beach of middle unkown, the neighbor had the radio in his truck blaring TOS, but it was just one guy in the afternoon enjoyin himself, no big deal... so we setup the tent (in very windy conditions) and soon they came... ATVs, lots of them... so given my camping intuition we packed up in less than 5 minutes and we're on the road (sound familiar??) We stopped for lunch and weighed our options, just about every site on map within a 50 mile radius was taken up or undesirable... So feeling conquered and staring at the map I saw a little number by a tent... what's this?? a campground!! we called the number in the atlas... no answer, so for our one last attempt for survival we ventured off towards topsfield in hopes of finding a beacon in the dark... and boy did we find it!!!

The Maine Wilderness Campground: Set back in the woods about 3 miles, has everything from camper hookups, cabins, tent sites, boat, canoe, and kyak rentals, docks, a beach for swimming, surrounded by lots of forest, atv trails, and loons! (they're also open year round! winter event!!) The nice lady that runs the place (Charolette) lives there with her family (off the grid, year round) And was very welcoming of the idea about having our group stay a weekend up there!

Now all we need to do is set a date!

(we're also going to try and do another trip up there to place a few caches in the area)
    Great pics, great story (remind me to always volunteer to be the driver and provide the vehicle when we go out geocaching together by the way since most of your off-road geocachers result in repairs for some odd reason) and it looks like a great place . . . now just let me know of the date. As far as I know, July is wide open for me right now . . . June has the NFPA conference at the start of the month and a wedding in the County at the end.

Incidentally, I was going to mention to you that it seems as though the campsites out that way tend to fill up pretty quickly during Memorial Day Weekend but I didn't want to be a buzz kill and thought you might get lucky . . . besides the last time I suggested a spot it turned out to be "THE" party place for all the rowdy river guides.

This spot (based on the pics) looks pretty good . . . I'll have to check it out on-line and see where it is on the map . . . and if it would be worth bringing my quad along . . . maybe make this an extended geocaching/ATVing event for me personally.

Hey Hiram . . . quick question . . . did you bring the mascot along . . . and if so where are the pics? OK, that was actually two questions. . . .