vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting money aside for Geocaching Maine

Nor do I but having others donate who don't even come to the site or aren't members isn't fair to them either especially if it is tied into the price of the coin. I would say half or more of the last coins we sold were sold to cachers from out of state.

As far as the same people donating all the time , well I say the majority of the people who use this site are the ones who are donating anyway so I don't see the problem as long as the bills are paid. The ones who use the site and who don't donate don't have anything to complain about then do they? I guess you can include me in that bunch now then can't you?

Not to get off topic but the next event that is put on by a member of GC.org, there should be a donation box put out specifically for the website. I remember there was one put out at a previous event, I believe it was one of Mainiac's Beer and Wings events and there was enough money to get the site some updated software. I see no harm in that.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Hmm, well, that's true. It may or may not be a good thing too that it's always the same people that contribute. At least you have a dedicated "customer" base! I don't see a reason to force the rest to contribute if they don't want to freely on their own though. I agree with Haffy on a donation box. You could even do that for other items like a banner and other supplies as well. I bet if put to the challenge the money would be raised for anything that the group would decide benefits them. If it's not raised, then they didn't think it was necessary and there's no way to tax it out of them! Hehe!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I posted that I think this money should be totally separate from the web site donation money. It would not be used for people holding personal events. It would only be used for purchases of things that would be used for Geocaching Maine. I used the banner as an example because the banner could be used at all events and at other places other then events. I could think up a few more things if need be. The idea would be that it could not be used towards the web site or towards personal events, this way people could not ask for money to help with there events. It would not be a lot of money right now seeing it would only be $1 per coin, but over time it would add up. It is not intended for personal use or gain.

As I said I just wanted to here opinions on putting money aside without getting into the details of the bank account and all that, but I should have known that somehow it would have turned into people worrying about taxes where to put the money, who would take care of it, how to distribute it. I only wanted the questions answered as to whether we should start putting money aside. I have found we have to make one decision at a time with this group. It will be just like the coin thing we started the first time. If we talk about all the legal things about it then it will never get done. Look how long it took to get our first coin done.

Rick, you have a way of making these issue sound like a personal affront to yourself. I think I can safely say that everyone has nothing but the utmost respect in your ability as the webmaster.

It's not about "raising legal issues" when I mentioned that you need to be aware of legal and tax ramifications. If you sell something for profit you will be subject to state and federal taxes. You can't sell your own home for a profit without paying taxes so how do you think you can sell a coin at profit and not claim it. (Yeah, yeah, I know, one time exemptions, rolling assets etc, etc..)

If GCM.org needs money then the best way is to have a fundraiser or ask people to donate to meet the needs of that specific goal. I realize you have a core group of contributors but we are also the ones that benefit the most. Charging people, at a profit, simply because they want a coin or whatever means you're in business to gain profit/benefit.

The short answer to your question from my point of view; its not a great idea..

So why wouldn't we be able to use the money that is donated to the site for such things like a banner???

I think that due to all things said so far (such as taxes and laws ect) keeping as a "ask for it when it's needed" basis would be the best way to go. So that way people that want to give to certain things (like a banner) can give to those certain things (otherwise you end up with situations like federal embrionic stem cell funding, some taxpayers want to pay for it, others don't and then everyone gets angry about it... I think it'd be best to let those who want to pay for things pay for them, as opposed to making everyone pay for them)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Not to get off topic but the next event that is put on by a member of GC.org, there should be a donation box put out specifically for the website. I remember there was one put out at a previous event, I believe it was one of Mainiac's Beer and Wings events and there was enough money to get the site some updated software. I see no harm in that.
    at the pigroast event Brdad put out a coin for a raffle, and everyone wrote their name on a $1 bill (some on 5s or 10s) and then the bill was pulled for the winner. Something like that is a good idea too.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

A raffle is a great fundraiser I think!

Everyone so far has said we can ask for the money as we need it and it always seems to work out. Well that is an easy thing to say because if you were the ones that have tried to collect the money from members then you would know this is not always true. Most of you know it always works out but what most of you don’t know is that behind the scenes it does not. There are always a few others that have to add a little more money then what they originally put in because it never does work out. When you are not the one collecting money and you only read that we reached our goal you don’t really know what went on behind the scenes to reach that goal. That is all I am going to say on that subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    Rick, you have a way of making these issue sound like a personal affront to yourself. I think I can safely say that everyone has nothing but the utmost respect in your ability as the webmaster.

It's not about "raising legal issues" when I mentioned that you need to be aware of legal and tax ramifications. If you sell something for profit you will be subject to state and federal taxes. You can't sell your own home for a profit without paying taxes so how do you think you can sell a coin at profit and not claim it. (Yeah, yeah, I know, one time exemptions, rolling assets etc, etc..)

If GCM.org needs money then the best way is to have a fundraiser or ask people to donate to meet the needs of that specific goal. I realize you have a core group of contributors but we are also the ones that benefit the most. Charging people, at a profit, simply because they want a coin or whatever means you're in business to gain profit/benefit.

The short answer to your question from my point of view; its not a great idea..
    Steve, I also have the utmost respect for you to so please do not take this next statement wrong because it is not directed at you but at everyone worried about taxes.

We are non profit organization so to heck with the state taxes. If we go through paypal or something like that then who is to say where or what state were are selling them from. Besides we are paying taxes on the coin when they are purchased. $1 is not going to kill a person buying a coin. If we sold 200 coins then we put aside $200. I say put the taxes worries aside people always try to dig to deep and always try to find reason why not to do things and blame it on taxes. Heck if everyone is so worried about taxes then I will make an offer to put the profits that are made on the coins or anything else we do on my taxes and not touch any of the profits and put them in a Geocaching Maine checking account. I am serious on this offer.

Yes Steve I probably do take the web site and our group personally because I am pretty proud of what we have all accomplished so far as a group. I would like to see us move forward. Nothing against anyone else in the group but it seems like every time something has needed to get done or some type of organization needs to happen to get some thing done. I am always one of the one stepping up to the plate. Sure there are a few others that jump in. Is it only me that is thinking about the future of Geocaching Maine here? I love our Geocaching Maine community and I will always continue to help in every way I can and will always try to help it grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Nor do I but having others donate who don't even come to the site or aren't members isn't fair to them either especially if it is tied into the price of the coin. I would say half or more of the last coins we sold were sold to cachers from out of state.
    It is not like we are making a million dollars on this venture or like we are trying to screw the people who are not members that are purchasing coins. Like I said to Steve’s reply, it is not going to kill someone to pay $1 more added on to the coin price. If someone is worried about paying $7 for a coin vise $6 then maybe they should not be buy the coin. It is there choice and we are not twisting there arm to buy it. In other respects it is our coin and we (GeocachingMaine) can set the price to what ever we as a group decide to set the price at and if people do not want to buy it then they do not have to. If you look at most state geocoins you will see that they sell for about $9 to $12 apiece and some for even more. My point is, it looks like we are the only ones just breaking even on them, why not just add $1 and but it in a kitty for later use. Even if we do not use it for a year or so it will be there later.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Yes Steve I probably do take the web site and our group personally because I am pretty proud of what we have all accomplished so far as a group. I would like to see us move forward. Nothing against anyone else in the group but it seems like every time something has needed to get done or some type of organization needs to happen to get some thing done. I am always one of the one stepping up to the plate. Sure there are a few others that jump in. Is it only me that is thinking about the future of Geocaching Maine here? I love our Geocaching Maine community and I will always continue to help in every way I can and will always try to help it grow.
    Rick, you should be proud of the job you have done. No one questions your commitment and dedication to these forums. I've been a very vocal proponent/supporter about organizing but the general concensus was a "lose" organization. I, personally, would consent going to the next level (incorporating as a non-profit) but in keeping with the status quo of the group at large, that step should be avoided until the group, as a whole,
    decides upon it.

As far as you putting the money in an account and claiming it on your personal taxes is a minor concern compared to the animosity it could cause in the future if someone should question your integrity regarding GCM.org funds. While I have the utmost faith in you and your desire to make this a great site I think you are taking on great risk.

I would be willing to pay the extra $1 for a coin knowing it will help GCM.org. The cost isn't the issue, my concern is the welfare of this site today, tomorrow and the future and nothing can destroy a good thing like money issues.

Peace!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun View Post
    Rick, you should be proud of the job you have done. No one questions your commitment and dedication to these forums. I've been a very vocal proponent/supporter about organizing but the general concensus was a "lose" organization. I, personally, would consent going to the next level (incorporating as a non-profit) but in keeping with the status quo of the group at large, that step should be avoided until the group, as a whole,
    decides upon it.
    What people may not realize is that we at Geocaching Maine are already registered with the IRS and have a tax number. This was done quite a while ago.

As far as you putting the money in an account and claiming it on your personal taxes is a minor concern compared to the animosity it could cause in the future if someone should question your integrity regarding GCM.org funds. While I have the utmost faith in you and your desire to make this a great site I think you are taking on great risk.
    It was only and offer and that was all. If it is done right and records kept properly then there is nothing to worry about. The records could be kept open for all to see any time they want. I do it now with another organization I am a member of. It is a piece of cake if you keep up on the records. If we are only making $200 a year then that does not even have to be reported if that is all we are making, but we would still need to keep records.
    Blazing Troll

[QUOTE=attroll;33259]Everyone so far has said we can ask for the money as we need it and it always seems to work out. Well that is an easy thing to say because if you were the ones that have tried to collect the money from members then you would know this is not always true. Most of you know it always works out but what most of you don’t know is that behind the scenes it does not. There are always a few others that have to add a little more money then what they originally put in because it never does work out. When you are not the one collecting money and you only read that we reached our goal you don’t really know what went on behind the scenes to reach that goal. That is all I am going to say on that subject.]

Well for being on the board as long as I have and being a member from day one I would like to know what instances you are referring to when you say we needed money for something and it wasn't enough and others had to put in more to meet the demands? I have never been asked for money and up until the last renewal my donation to the site have always been donated. Where has it been noted that we needed money for anything? You have always said that we are in good shape financially. If money is needed for the site then just come out and say we need such and such an amount to keep things going. Please don't beat around the bush,we are all grown adults here.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.