vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to TAT for the first Maine Earthcache

Default Congrats to TAT for the first Maine Earthcache

So that makes us the first Mainiacs to get an Earthcache too then since we visited Tidal Cache the other day. Good going Tat and let's see who else can come up with a new Earthcache. Maybe one of those glacial erratics that we have all visited in the state or a new one that hasnt been made into a regular cache yet.

Cool Cool!

That is fantastic! There is so much to learn from this cache and others like it - thanks for sharing!!

I don't understand... Is it listed as an EarthCache? I don't find it on the listing.

Is it listed differently from a regular cache? Can you claim it twice? (It IS about the numbers, after all...)

Thumbs up Congrats,Tat

Do we have to go and claim it again? Thanks for the interesing science lesson. We should get together once a month for another lesson.

Default Thanks, everybody!

Maine might be the most active place in the EarthCache world, thanks to you.

Now that's what numbers are all about!

Exclamation New To This

I AM NEW TO CACHING. WHAT IS AN EARTHCACHE? I WANT TO PUT OUT A CACHE IN MY AREA, TOWN, BUT THERE ISN'T MUCH PUBLIC PROPERTY TO DO IT. HOW DO YOU PEOPLE FIND PLACES TO HIDE CACHES?http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...uote=1&p=1906#
    Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)

Muffin -

There aren't many caches in the Farmingdale/Gardiner area, so you should be able to find a spot or two or three.

Go to the main geocaching.com page (http://www.geocaching.com/) and enter the zip code for Farmingdlae in the search block. This will show you the nearest caches and will probably give you an idea for aspot for a cache of your own.

Also, make sure you come to the geocaching event in Winslow next weekend.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-dfc5c2e4d15f

You be able to meet lots of other cachers and they'll be glad to answer questions and give you advice.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 01-16-2005 at 09:30 AM.

Default Earthcaches

Quote Originally Posted by MAD-MUFFIN
    I AM NEW TO CACHING. WHAT IS AN EARTHCACHE? I WANT TO PUT OUT A CACHE IN MY AREA, TOWN, BUT THERE ISN'T MUCH PUBLIC PROPERTY TO DO IT. HOW DO YOU PEOPLE FIND PLACES TO HIDE CACHES?http://www.geocachingmaine.org/forum...uote=1&p=1906#
    Roll Eyes (Sarcastic)
    Earthcaches are a relatively new catagory of geocaches. Most will be of a virtual nature and related to making visitors aware of geological formations and processes. Some caches already in existance may qualify and be
    re-designated as earthcaches but all have to be submitted and approved through the normal Geocaching.com process. Today's Cacher has provided some information at http://www.todayscacher.com/2004/dec/caches.asp
    in the December issue. Hope this helps answere your question.

Smile Hiding new caches

Hey MAD-MUFFIN,welcome to the new addiction of geo-caching. What a blast isn't it? I don't want to discourage anyone from hiding caches but I think they should take a lot of forethought before doing one. I see you are new,finding I think 4 or 5 caches so far if I am correct. I had approximately 80 to 100 before I hid my first one. I wanted it to be special and I think I succeeded in doing just that. Unfortunately it was muggled this fall when I was out of town for a few weeks and havent made it back up there to replace it yet but I will. I think the choice you make shouldnt be rushed into. It shouldnt be just a jaunt into the woods,getting a couple of bearings and sticking a tupperware container under a log with Mctoys for the finder or placing a micro-cache(film cannister) under a lampost either. I tried to incorporate a couple of things when I placed mine. I wanted it to be a place to remember.with a little hike, a nice view, and with things in the cache that would be enticing to young and old alike. From the cachers who logged their find on the site and their comments that they made ,I think I succeeded. That is just my opinion,and try to keep that in mind when finding that special place for yours too. Sorry for my ranting but that is what I like to look for in a cache. I'm sure other cachers have different objectives in mind then they hide theirs but these are just my thoughts. Thanks for listening and I hope I haven't discouraged you or anyone from hiding them.

Post Hiding MY OWN cache

I too am new to the sport. X-mas this past year. I have found only 15 caches so far. That's 107,501 or so to go. I have from day one also wanted to place my own cache. Like Haffy6 I wanted it to be special. I have come across several different kinds of caches, each one unique. I am wrestling with the question: What feature of a cache do I want to use to make it special to me? I can use history, scenery, science " thanks Tat ", or math, or whatever. I want it to ba a cache that cachers talk about and want to go see. One that makes people go out and find it by the interesting logs we print. Lots to think about, be patient. It will come to both of us. Hope to see ya in Winslow.