vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A little help for a DUMB MOM

Wink Who DOESN'T wanna be a Mainer?

GEEEESH, WhereRWe.........are you afraid that the rest of the 49 states will discover your secrets of being a Mainer?
    I will never be a true Mainer, but only a displaced Western NYer who has discovered the joys and beauties of your lovely state!
    AND, I do love this site and the message boards, and am so happy I found you all ......... you are so helpful and actually answer my questions in little words that I can understand! After all, I teach first grade, so all the little words are right up my alley!!

Here's another "dumb" question.....when we actually find a cache (which I'm hoping we do), I would go to the geocaching. com site and log that we've found it, right?
    And, eventually, if we get brave enough to place some caches around home I could go there and enter them too?
    By the way, if you ever get the chance to visit Buffalo and the surrounding areas, I would highly recommend giving US a try. We have lots of open country down here to the south of the city which I have loved, too, for my whole life! You may want to start out in the summer or fall, NOT during the Lake Effect Snow season though!!

Yep you are correct on both accounts. Go to the site to log the cache and also when you have a few finds under your belt you go there to hide one as well. Don't rush the hiding aspect though. Have fun finding them first and get a feel of what is out there and enjoy the moment. There is plenty of time to hide one and make sure it is something special that you think others would enjoy as well. Happy Caching
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I traveled to that part of NY a couple of years ago and was suprised to see how much like Northern Maine (above Millinocket) it looked (although the cities are alot bigger, the countryside is very similar). And I still hope we'll get a Wegman's eventually.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by MaineWannaBe View Post
    GEEEESH, WhereRWe.........are you afraid that the rest of the 49 states will discover your secrets of being a Mainer?
    LOL! Being a newcomer, you would not know the history between Haffy and me.

I bug him whenever I can. He recently moved from Maine to South Carolina, so now he can only be classified as a "Wanabe Mainer"! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    I traveled to that part of NY a couple of years ago and was suprised to see how much like Northern Maine (above Millinocket) it looked (although the cities are alot bigger, the countryside is very similar). And I still hope we'll get a Wegman's eventually.
    Being a dyed-in-the-wool and lifelong Western NYer....... I understand your fascination with Wegmans!! However, there are several other markets that offer much the same variety at lower prices!! TOPS Markets are very similar, but not as "pricey" or "ritzy" as Wegmans!!!

Also, in order for us to get a "trial run" at using the borrowed Garmin gpsr, I did a search for caches in our area (zip code 14171) and was AMAZED at how many treasures there are hiding around here too!! I guess I am just a little late in jumping on this bandwagon huh?

Being a dyed-in-the-wool and lifelong Western NYer....... I understand your fascination with Wegmans!! However, there are several other markets that offer much the same variety at lower prices!! TOPS Markets are very similar, but not as "pricey" or "ritzy" as Wegmans!!!
    Oh, wow! We love Wegman's, too! Our older son went to RIT in Rochester, NY, we we got there quite often - many Wegman's in the area. And he had a co-op job in Johnson City - near Binghampton - and their Wegman's actually had a wood-fired stone bread oven! It's so cool watching them make so many food items right in front of you!

YEP......Wegmans is based in Rochester, NY, and did you know it's usually on the list of the "Best Places to Work in America?"
    If anyone comes caching here in Western NY, stop by a Wegmans - it is an experience!
    That said, I love visiting the old grocery store in Southwest Harbor (I know it's got a family name, I just can't remember it now) with the wooden floors and fresh local produce. It reminds me of the small town grocery we had here when I was growing up......before the "supermarket" chains took over!

Sawyers, the family also ownes the wine store accross the street.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

OK.....so, my kids can geocache....they know what they're doing. I have a general idea and even found a cool map of the Mt. Desert Island area with what I presume are caches shown. Here's my question: Don't I need some sort of coordinates for the gps thingy? I know how DUMB I must sound, but I am sort of counting on my kids (who have done this at school in Enrichment classes) to know what to do if I can supply them with some coordinates. Also, I need to know what the "protocol" is about leaving something in the cache. I know that food stuff isn't good (duh, even I am not that dumb!) but what about things like quarters from the state we live in or pencils or other durable stuff with the kids' school name? Is that OK?
    We are going to be camping on Mt. Desert Island for 2 weeks - this is our 3rd trip to Mt. Desert in 4 years and we've just about exhausted the "touristy" stuff, so we wanted to do something different. We're really looking forward to our 2 weeks in Maine.......we LOVE IT THERE!
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me......
    I can't really add much more to this than what has already been said. Have fun on the island . . . if you get a chance go off the island and explore some of the other areas. A lot of folks never do Schoodic Point which is part of the Park . . . and by doing so you can do a virtual cache located there. A short jaunt down to Deer Isle and Stonington and the stunning trails there is also worth the time.

Coordinates (aka coords) are from geocaching.com -- you don't have to buy a membership. Sign up for the free membership now and down the road if you get into geocaching you can step up to the premium membership -- this is particularly useful if you do what some folks do and start using a PDA.

You are correct -- food (and any other smelly objects such as candles, perfume, etc.) is a bad idea for a trade item. Pencils, school items, state quarters would be a great trade item.

Whenever I visit the island I always try to make two stops in town -- one at Bill and Ted's Chocolate Emporium (I know that's not the real name, but I grew up in the 80s with Bill and Ted and their Excellent Adventures) and Alexander's Clockshop -- it's like traveling back in time (asthmatics and those adverse to pipe smoke should probably stay clear of this place though.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I would highly recommend visitng Stonington and Deer Isle. There are lots of great places to see and hikes/walks to be had.
    ~ Beach Comber ~