vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New GPS (for on-road navigation)

Default New GPS (for on-road navigation)

Our family road trips are normally punctuated by arguments between driver (me) and navigator (wife, who can't properly read a map). So, to decrease strife, and increase marital tranquility, I picked up one of these:

Now we've tried vehicular navigation with the Sportrack, with and without a laptop attached, and I must say that this is just so far above and beyond that there is no comparison. It can be used "hand-held" as well, but I think we'll retain the Sportrack for Geocaching activities.

I am very impressed with the speed that this gets a lock--the new Sirf III chip really makes a difference. There seems to be on lag time to get a fix, and none of the infamous sling-shot effect. A nice female voice cheerfully announced each upcoming turn and the display is big and bright. Of course, it has blue-tooth, an FM transmitter for traffic reports and an SD card slot.

thats nifty! how does it know theres construction??? do you have to link to the internet before you go?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    thats nifty! how does it know theres construction??? do you have to link to the internet before you go?
    It has a standard USB port for updates. For traffic reports you need to be in a location that supports them (larger metropolitan areas) and it gets them on the FM receiver. If you do run into construction and need to detour it will calculate a new route automatically (and will do the same if you miss a turn).

The bluetooth pairs up with your cell phone so you can do hands-free through the GPS. You can also route the GPS audio into your stereo if the internal speaker is not loud enough.

It holds 500 waypoints and you can enter coords as well as addresses, cities, cross-roads, POIs, etc. to navigate to. Of course, the trip computer gives you SOG, ETA, max speed, time stopped, etc.

FWIW, it also plays MP3s and audio books (via the SD memory slot) as well as displays JPEGs.

I am pretty impressed so far, just using it around town.

Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    It holds 500 waypoints and you can enter coords as well as addresses, cities, cross-roads, POIs, etc. to navigate to. Of course, the trip computer gives you SOG, ETA, max speed, time stopped, etc.

FWIW, it also plays MP3s and audio books (via the SD memory slot) as well as displays JPEGs.
    sure, but what about the WWA if you're using the MSG like if you were traveling to LLCA with the YRRIS, would it handle the PT if you just had the DX available??? That RRT stuff on that POE stuff is really just like the EOP software on the LLC...

so can I try it??

In-vehicle navigation is great. We've used the Garmin 60csx MANY times to get us to a hotel or restaurant. And since RULOST2? has trouble navigating, I just might get one of these so I don't have to tie up the 60csx!. LOL!

sure, but what about the WWA if you're using the MSG like if you were traveling to LLCA with the YRRIS, would it handle the PT if you just had the DX available??? That RRT stuff on that POE stuff is really just like the EOP software on the LLC...

so can I try it??
    Well, it does have WAAS, but not really necessary w/the SIRf so we're A-OK. It uses the same SD as does my PDA but since my HU plays MP3s, that feature could be MIA, IMHO.

Talking Well HEY NOW!!

ABCDE FGHIJK LM NOP QRSTU VWX YZ and in conclusion see how every time Aaron responds to a thread it gets hijacked.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    ABCDE FGHIJK LM NOP QRSTU VWX YZ and in conclusion see how every time Aaron responds to a thread it gets hijacked.

Fine then... I just wont say anything anymore...

Finally some sense comes out.......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Well then

Fine then... I just wont say anything anymore...
    As long as you don't say anything any less. Or something some more Or all things all the time every other Tuesday.
    Happy Trails!