vb:literal>

Thread: A Kayaking event in Casco Bay

Hybrid View

Default A Kayaking event in Casco Bay

Over the past year, several folks have expressed an interest in kayaking to Fort Gorges to make a find for the Fort Gorges virtual. It can be daunting to think of making the trip by yourself so here's an opportunity to go with a group.

East End Beach is located at N 43° 40.223 W 070° 14.494. We'll be launching from there at about 7:30 am on Saturday 7/28. High tide is at about 11:00 so if all goes well we should be coming back with a little tide behind us or perhaps not much tide at all. Please arrive with enough time to be ready to launch at 7:30 am.

Straight-line distance from the launch point to Fort Gorges is about 1.4 miles, making the round trip about 3 miles.

We'll be heading out shine or rain unless conditions aren't safe - in cases of rough seas or heavy rain or thunderstorms for example. Hopefully we'll mitigate some of these factors by heading out first thing in the morning. If the conditions aren't safe, the event will be postponed to Sunday 7/29 at 7:30 am. This determination will be made on Friday night by 9:00 pm and posted as a note on this thread.

Please note that there is limited parking at the launch point. You should plan to drop off your kayak then park in the upper lot at N43 40.192 W70 14.613.

If there's interest, some or all of the group may want to paddle to some of the other caches in Casco Bay, while others may return. Please indicate in this thread if you would like to do other caches or just the Fort Gorges virtual.

If you need help renting a kayak and/or the right gear, please end me an email through my profile and I'll help get you connected.

What a neat idea. If any of the ones that are going are also letterboxers, there is a letterbox at the Fort as well. Last I knew anyway...I'll see if I can get an updated status on it.

I am definatly interested if I can get a Kayak to paddle. We should make an event of it. The casco bay paddle?

That is the weekend of the event and I have been planning on going to the event if i do not have to work. I will have to try and catch the next trip.
    Blazing Troll

Default Looks like a good morning

Not that there's been any interest, but we're headed out tomorrow morning. Feel free to come and enjoy a nice paddle on Casco Bay!

I'm interested, just can't be there. Hope you have some fun stories to tell, be safe!