vb:literal>

Thread: Cool changes at geocaching.com

Exclamation Cool changes at geocaching.com

For those that don't read the geocaching.com forums, Jeremy has posted the following notice!

"The much requested implementation of cache attributes are finally available. I have added a topic in the Geocaching.com Discussion area to read more about this feature and to provide feedback.

We have added two new log types, "enable listing" and "disable listing" to replace the one click function for enabling and disabling a cache listing. To provide feedback for geocachers you now need to type a note to indicate why the cache was enabled or disabled.

If you have coordinates for your home location, the cache listings will now give you a distance and heading to the location of the cache listing. This was a common request after the feature was added on the cache log pages.

Other small tweaks and changes were made on the site to improve performance."
    Last edited by brdad; 01-17-2005 at 06:12 PM.

Wink Thanks!

Oh wise one....

Can you elaborate on what "attributes" will include?

When might a person enable or disable the listing? Is this similar to the temporarily disable and archive approaches?

Default Great new addition

I just edited my new cache to take advantage of the new attribution add-on. Works like a charm. It works similar to the Selector attribute but I think it contains more of them. Oh yeah by the way,look for that new cache that everyone wanted, it will be posted on the 19th or 20th. That way anyone having depleted all the caches in the Waterville,Winslow area will at least have a new one to find. After whoever is the FTF I'm sure the footprints will be telling all the location of it though. Thats the one thing about winter caching,its hard to hide those footprints. Oh yeah and one other thing,the road in was very icy before this snow so just be careful if you do walk in,I went on my butt a couple of times...lol

Attributes include:

Permissions: (Allowed - Not Allowed -N/R)
    Dogs
    Bicycles
    Motorcycles
    Quads
    Off-road vehicles
    Snowmobiles
    Campfires
    Horses
    Special Equipment Required
    Access or parking fee
    Climbing gear
    Boat
    Scuba gear

Conditions: (Yes - No - N/R)
    Recommended for kids
    Takes less than an hour
    Significant hike
    Difficult climbing
    May require wading
    May require swimming
    Available at all times
    Recommended at night
    Available during winter
    Scenic view
    Hazards Present
    Cliff / falling rocks
    Hunting
    Dangerous area
    Poison plants
    Thorns
    Snakes
    Ticks
    Abandoned mines

Facilities (Yes - No - N/R)
    Wheelchair accessible
    Camping available
    Parking nearby
    Public transportation
    Picnic tables nearby
    Drinking water nearby
    Public restrooms nearby
    Telephone nearby

It appears you can have no more than 10 attributes for any cache, so you will need to chose the 10 most important ones.

Enabling or diabling a cache is the same as temorarily disable - use it when you have to make the cache inactive for a few days while you replace or maintain it, or if safety issues require you to do so.

Default reply for two posts.....

Thanks brdad! This is cool!

And Haffy - sounds like the walk in to place your cache was in your true fashion - spending some of the time walking and some of the time falling - hope you didn't put your new PDA in your back pocket - hehehe

Can't wait to add the cache to my list of finds! And of course, given my graceful ways and the number of times I have taken a spill while caching, I am sure that I will take a tumble or two - thanks for the warning!!