vb:literal>

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a Rant: Travel Bug Goals

My wife and I just drove all the way up to Canada this weekend to leave off a TB that is in a race to meet 4 separate goals against 3 other TB's. I wouldn't expect a thanks if I moved it to a next door cache or even the wrong direction, but to take it 120 miles and into another country, I would hope the person tracking it could acknowledge me.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    My wife and I just drove all the way up to Canada this weekend to leave off a TB that is in a race to meet 4 separate goals against 3 other TB's. I wouldn't expect a thanks if I moved it to a next door cache or even the wrong direction, but to take it 120 miles and into another country, I would hope the person tracking it could acknowledge me.
    Wow! I know I would drop an email and express thanks. I never got the chance as all of our TB's (3 of them) are MIA

We have a few coins out now and we're not holding high hopes for them either. A risk you take if you participate in the whole TB thing I guess.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    This is dedication . . . incidentally welcome to geocachingmaine.org darterkitfox.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

And another thing (lots of rants these days . . . it has to be the heat! . . . just imagine if Hiram was around and posting . . . which reminds me has anyone heard from him . . . seriously, is he OK?) . . . what about folks that drop off TBs indiscriminately without looking at a TB's goals.

I mean I can understand if you pick up a TB and drop off a TB on the same day and didn't realize that it had a specific goal . . . what I'm talking about is picking up a TB with an attached goal printed out and then not adhering to that goal. I can understand if a TB wants to visit sanddunes for example and you're not going to any sanddunes so you put it in a cache with the hope of just moving it along . . . but what about taking a TB that wants to go south and moving it north?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    And another thing (lots of rants these days . . . it has to be the heat! . . . just imagine if Hiram was around and posting . . . which reminds me has anyone heard from him . . . seriously, is he OK?) . . . what about folks that drop off TBs indiscriminately without looking at a TB's goals.

I mean I can understand if you pick up a TB and drop off a TB on the same day and didn't realize that it had a specific goal . . . what I'm talking about is picking up a TB with an attached goal printed out and then not adhering to that goal. I can understand if a TB wants to visit sanddunes for example and you're not going to any sanddunes so you put it in a cache with the hope of just moving it along . . . but what about taking a TB that wants to go south and moving it north?
    LOL! That happened to my sons TB recently!! He has a racing TB that wants to make it to Daytona FL and then stay in the US following Nascar. It had made it to Mass. (finally) and now some how, some one picked it up in Mass and it is now in Nova Scotia Canada!!!! All well, what can you do???!!! North, East, South, West....maybe some people just don't own a compass!

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    what about folks that drop off TBs indiscriminately without looking at a TB's goals.
    The trouble is, so many TB's have goals but don't have a note attached saying what the goal is. We won't take a TB if we can see that taking it will defeat it's goal, but it's awkward when you don't find out about the goal until you log it a couple of days later.

In that case, we try and drop it as soon as possible, which I think is the best thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    The trouble is, so many TB's have goals but don't have a note attached saying what the goal is. We won't take a TB if we can see that taking it will defeat it's goal, but it's awkward when you don't find out about the goal until you log it a couple of days later.

In that case, we try and drop it as soon as possible, which I think is the best thing to do.

Agreed hard with no goals attached. Also, like with the TBs I took to GW5 - I emailed all the owners. They emailed me back - that was nice. I attached the goals as per what the owners email me but some of them never changed the information on their TB pages.......so, my directions seemed not so good. Oh well, I tried!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post

I realize this . . . I'm talking about a TB that has an attached note clearly stating it's goal . . . I have picked up TBs before and then discovered on-line that I am not able to help them with their goal or even worse I have brought the TB in the wrong direction . . . however when a TB has a note attached to it clearly stating it wants to go to a particular cache in Alaska and someone brings it from Alaska to New Hampshire I would guess they didn't take the time to read the attached note.

This is my first time on this sight. I am interested in TB's. I just picked up my first two a few days ago. I also activated my own which will have a travel goal. I have three new caches that I will place this week in the Calais area plus a micro. Each cache will have a TB in it. However, I am nervous that someone will muggle the caches or steel the TB. Someone recently moved the Nash's Lake cache. Maybe it was a mean joke but it wasn't funny. The owner did put it back where it is suppost to be. Hopefully this will not happen to my caches. But I am nervous that someone could spoil the fun with stupid jokes like that. How often should I check on them? I will keep track of my TB often. I'm hoping pictures will be sent. Should be fun to see how it gets to my destinations!
    Mipster

Quote Originally Posted by mipster View Post
    This is my first time on this sight. I am interested in TB's. I just picked up my first two a few days ago. I also activated my own which will have a travel goal. I have three new caches that I will place this week in the Calais area plus a micro. Each cache will have a TB in it. However, I am nervous that someone will muggle the caches or steel the TB. Someone recently moved the Nash's Lake cache. Maybe it was a mean joke but it wasn't funny. The owner did put it back where it is suppost to be. Hopefully this will not happen to my caches. But I am nervous that someone could spoil the fun with stupid jokes like that. How often should I check on them? I will keep track of my TB often. I'm hoping pictures will be sent. Should be fun to see how it gets to my destinations!
    Mipster
    First off, welcome to geocachingmaine.org mipster.

Second off, why oh why didn't you place these caches last week when I was in the area . . . and yes I'm kidding . . . you see now I'll have another excuse to go back to Calais.

Third . . . the best advice I can give you is to make sure the cache you place is well-hidden and/or off the beaten path so to speak. In other words if you place a cache just a few feet away from a park frequented by muggles and it's "hidden" under a teepee made up of "geosticks" there is in fact a good chance it could get muggled. That's not to say you can't hide a cache in that park . . . you just have to be smart about it by hiding it very well and/or picking a place that muggles may not frequent . . . for example if you're hiding a cache in a park with lots of muggles you might want to not place the cache right next to the beach or playground equipment where muggles tend to congregate.

Finally, part of the game is that sometimes caches and TBs will go missing . . . I've been lucky . . . only had one cache go MIA . . . since replacing that cache there have been no issues. Then again, I always think it could have been worse -- one geocacher had their cache blown up by the State Police Bomb Squad!

As for your question of checking the cache . . . it all depends on the cacher. In general I try to check on my new caches a few days after the first round of cachers have made the find . . . just to be sure they've placed the cache back in the right spot. I also try to check each cache in the Spring after the Winter melt-off. I also check my caches whenever I get a few DNFs to be sure that the cache is still there . . . and on one or two of my caches I must confess that I frequently check them to make sure that they are hidden in the same manner as I hid them so that other geocachers will have the same difficulty in locating these "evil" caches and the same thrill when they finally find them.

Again, welcome.