vb:literal>

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for a Rant: Travel Bug Goals

Default My First TB Had Good Luck

My very first TB, Mikey Moose, has had good luck in getting to Alaska. Parmachenee picked him up last year and took him to Ontario (good luck). Then someone picked him up and took him to NS and kept him for months (bad luck). But then she sent him to a TB party in Ontario again and from there he moved around until July when a cacher came from Seattle, picked him up and took him home. From there he moved quickly with what seemed to be a very dedicated group of cachers and flew to Juneau a couple of days ago. His final destination is Fairbanks and he's in a cache near the Juneau airport so who knows what will happen next. Probably someone will fly him south. But I consider just getting to Alaska a triumph and only wish I were with him.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    But I consider just getting to Alaska a triumph and only wish I were with him.
    Like oh yeah, anywhere in Alaska is good and to be there - heaven on Earth!. Hope this moves as you wish it would.

Thanks for the caches in your area too - we will get there eventually!

I too have suffered TB anxiety. I am becoming more patient and understanding when it comes to TB movement and non- movement. I find that my TBs tend to have spurts of movement, then seem to be holed up somewhere- either an out of the way cache or with an inactive cacher. Usually patience and a friendly email help get things going. I try to gain some insight on the area of the cache and/ or the cacher. Reading the past logs and profile help. I've found that TBs that end up in the north during the late fall, tend to hibernate for the winter. I wouldn't be out there in the snow myself, so I understand those who may be waiting for spring. I agree that a note would be nice.
    I have also been one of those cachers who took a TB, with the intent of placing it in a cache the next weekend, only to have a sudden crisis that prevented me from caching for several weeks. I had forgotten about the TB in the chaos. Of course I emailed the owner immediately with an apology.
    I have only lost one TB, "Dicey", which was placed in a cache that was destroyed by Mother Nature. I emailed the cacher who found the remains of the cache, asking if there were any signs of my TB. I was grateful for a response, even if it was not positive.
    "Life happens", as we all know. I learned that whether you're the owner or the cacher who picks up the bug - communication, common courtesy and a bit of patience will ease the anxiety. After all, isn't geocaching supposed to be a stressfree activity?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Like oh yeah, anywhere in Alaska is good and to be there - heaven on Earth!. Hope this moves as you wish it would.

Well I was going to save this comment for the other thread . . . but since this is a new one and this ties in nicely. . . .

Let it be known that kayakingloon has put out some nice caches in the Eustis area . . . it truly is worth the drive. I took off today since the day was so nice and I've got work scheduled around the house this weekend so this was the only day this weekend I could get out and do some caching . . . and so I decided to take kayakingloon up on his "offer" to come up to do some of his caches -- what a beautiful part of the state and there were some great caches as well. It should also be noted that KL has also graciously adopted several other caches in the area instead of letting them be archived.

I will admit there were some setbacks . . . namely an accident this morning which delayed my start and then my realization that I had accidentally killed the battery in my Palm, but that just let me do a little more work on the bedroom before heading out.

In any case, thank you KL . . . there were some great caches . . . I only wish I could have made this an overnight trip and done some more caches north and south of there.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hey, Jake. Thanks for the kind words about the area and my caches. But maybe I should point out that kayakingloon is a "her" not a "him". Darn those gender neutral names anyway!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    Hey, Jake. Thanks for the kind words about the area and my caches. But maybe I should point out that kayakingloon is a "her" not a "him". Darn those gender neutral names anyway!
    oops . . . my mistake
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I've ranted before about our Maine Chickadee Plate TB being stranded on an island off the coast of Sweden for the last 11 months.

(That's another rant! I don't think people should place TB's in out-of-the way caches. Unless it's their own TB. Most TB owners want their bugs to MOVE! LOL!)

Well, the TB has been picked up and is on the move. For what it's worth, here's the log entry:

"Denna TB har ju legat här länge, så nu får den röra på sig."

Why do I think that the entry says "This TB has been here too long! LOL!
    I was getting worried about this TB again - it's been 6 weeks since it was picked up - but the TB has just been logged into a cache in China! This is the 2d TB we had that has made it to China! (And since this is a "meet/greet/tb exchange" event, it should be on the move again soon!)

Hmmm....I'll chime in. There is a travel bug called Parrot Pal, it was a tribute to his bird that passed. I emailed the owner that I have his bug and that I will take it on a tour of the area with photos. We recently lost our bird at that time, we created a bug for her. The goal was to return to Calif. and tour the state, since we didn't know which part of the state. Turns out that it sat in a cache for a while but then came along a cacher who grabed it and with one trip she was in Calif. The person who I contacted about Parrot Pal, sought out this bug Minoko when it hit the LA area. He took about 20-30 photos with her a Disney World, Hollywood, etc.

I have a cache where a bug was just dropped that wants to go to Maine, so I'm going to grab it and drop it off.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    LOL! I did several caches in the Eustis area yesterday. Found a couple of interesting locations. On one road, I thought I must be on the "back road to Quebec"! I thought that at any second I'd be attacked by wolves, or bears, or Indians or something. A very interesting road meandering through the DEEP woods. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    LOL! I did several caches in the Eustis area yesterday. Found a couple of interesting locations. On one road, I thought I must be on the "back road to Quebec"! I thought that at any second I'd be attacked by wolves, or bears, or Indians or something. A very interesting road meandering through the DEEP woods. LOL!

That must have been Katadin Goddess' Milwaukee Brewers micro, at one of my favorite places. Not necessarily on one of my favorite roads though . Last spring I did find bear tracks on the way out and also bobcat tracks. No wolves though. Lots of coyotes. The bear hangs around our neighborhood some and the bobcat appeared once. I've got some caches planned for some really back roads.... stay tuned. Are you coming to next years Eustis event, late September???