vb:literal>

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Rant: Travel Bug Goals

When you pick up a TB sometimes it doesn't have a tag or information so you know where it is going. That makes it hard because you have to get home to log it before you realize you maybe wouldn't have taken it.

Then, in the case there is a tag attached - sometimes the goal has been reached up the tag never updated. Again, not the fault of the person picking up the TB.

When a TB reaches it goal - if it has a tag, it would be nice if the cacher who has it at the time would update the tag. Cache Maine and I actually found a TB and the original tag had a big box on the corner to punch when it reached its goal - and - instructions for step 2.

Putting TBs in baggies is another nice jesture. It is nice if you can take the time to make note of all the TBs in a cache. Once our bugs come out - I will be scrambling to get the log done - let alone inventory the TBs if there are a lot in the cache.

What baffles me is the TBs and coins which seem to vaporize out of caches. They are dropped but just disappear. No one line log (cache page or TB page) and nothing in the cache log either. So where did they go? Even more amazing when some TBs and/or coins remain there during the same time period.

Oh well, the risk we take when we set them free.

It is hard to know what happens.
    I discovered a coin once. it was in a cache I had been to before and I didn't have anything to trade so I just discovered it. A few weeks later an other cacher visited and didn't mention anything about the coin. A month later two catchers visited and both noted the coin was gone. The owner emailed me and asked if I had logged it incorrectly and went on to ask that I check my car, cache bag etc.

I replied and explained that I was positive that I had left the coin. His reply implied that he still felt I had it.
    A few months later the coin showed up with the people who had visited the cache after me. It seemed the youngest of the group took a liking to the coin and put it in his pocket. His Mom found it in his room and then they log it.

The coin owner emailed me and apologized, I had no hard feeling because I know too well how they felt. As it has been said it is the risk you take and things happen that are out of your control.

I guess in my opinion if a coin or TB goes Missing you should then release a clone so at least the logs continue and the story can be shared.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    What baffles me is the TBs and coins which seem to vaporize out of caches. They are dropped but just disappear. No one line log (cache page or TB page) and nothing in the cache log either. So where did they go? Even more amazing when some TBs and/or coins remain there during the same time period.
    Sheesh! Are you naive or what? LOL!

You have 2 choices: #1 - either the person didn't put the coin/TB in the cache to begin with, or #2, someone who came along afterwards took the coin/TB and didn't log their visit or didn't log the fact that they took the coin/TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Maybe senior members could take the time to school us newbies proper on the do's and shouldn't do's and watch over us a little at the events. If my brother wasn't with me at the WWWWWW4, I would have sat there like a dummy, not knowing what to do.
    For what it's worth...

I welcomed EVERYONE to the WWWWWW4 event, especially people I didn't recognize. I explained the event, and encouraged everyone to mingle and get to know other cachers. Not sure what else "senior members" can do if newcomers don't speak up and ask questions.

Remember - those "senior members" may not be any more outgoing than you are. If you choose to sit at a table by yourself, other people may conclude that's what you want. Don't be afraid to walk up to another cacher asn ask the obvious questions: What GPSr do you have? How many caches have you found? Are there any caches near xxxxxxxx?

Just ask, I've got MANY suggestions!!!!!

OPALSNS
    Woo hoo! I can't wait to meet you!

When I came in I introduced Myself and said, that you emailed us.
    You said" I email everone!!"
    Sorry. Not sure what I should have said, but perhaps I should have made it clear that I didn't recall your name specifically, since I do welcome ALL newcomers to geocachingmaine.org - sometimes 3-4 per day. My comment was not intended to be deprecating.

Then you told us to drop the TBs to be recorded and told us to try to find someplace to sit.
    THAT was the ONLY things you said to us.
    Again, I apologize if you expected something else. I tried to say "Hi" to everyone, I told MANY attendees that there was no specific agenda, and that it was a "meet, greet and eat" event. I did not have a printed script to read from, so what I said may have differed slightly from person to person.

People came up to us and said hello and Called us over to introduce themselves. There was an Older, VERY sweet couple that went around table to table to say hello and Welcome. We did go around, Introduce ourselves as newbies and were WELCOMED by them.
    Perhaps you could Make a note of the newbies that show up and when you stand up to do your raffle, you could WELCOME the NEWBIES,say who they are, Have them stand up and say Hi.
    This is a good idea - don't think it has ever been done at an event - but if you recall, when I made my remarks I did mention "a lot of new faces". It was a crowded venue, and I had to fight at times to be heard.

If you need any more help on "WHAT MORE CAN WE DO???"
    Just ask, I've got MANY suggestions!!!!!
    No thanks. If you sponsor your own event, you can do it the way you think is best. This is the 4th time we've sponsored the WWWWWW event, and other than the fact that the venue is VERY small, the majority seem to have had a good time and have asked to keep the venue. In fact, I just reviewed the logs and didn't see a negative comment. Again, I apologize if you felt slighted in any way. I'm know as somewhat of a curmudgeon, and sometimes I may be interpreted incorrectly by people who don't know me. Perhaps next year I'll let RULOST2? do the welcoming! LOL!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 03-09-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sorry. Not sure what I should have said, but perhaps I should have made it clear that I didn't recall your name specifically, since I do welcome ALL newcomers to geocachingmaine.com - sometimes 3-4 per day. My comment was not intended to be deprecating.
    Actually, the correct web address is www.geocachingmaine.org.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Actually, the correct web address is www.geocachingmaine.org.
    Actually, I'm quite aware of that. A simple typo, which has been corrected.

[QUOTE I don't know what a CRUDGEMUDON is, but with all due respect, I'm sure your the BEST!!!

Peace and Love,
    opalsns[/QUOTE]

Take it from me opalsns, he is the best curmudgeon (correct spelling) around......!!!!!
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

AND ...
    I Accept Your Appologies,
    Thank You so very much!!!!
    Peace and Love,
    Opalsns
    And I accept your critique. While I've attended 30 events and you've attended one, a new perspective is always welcome.