vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Which cemetery caches are acceptable? Select all the choices you agree with.

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anything goes! Physical cache anywhere in the cemetery.

1 1.54%
  • Physical cache at a grave site without permission from the family.

0 0%
  • Physical cache at a grave with permission from the family.

21 32.31%
  • Physical cache in the cemetery as long as it is not near any grave.

31 47.69%
  • Physical cache just outside the cemetery.

45 69.23%
  • Virtual cache stage(s) inside the cemetery with the physical cache just outside the cemetery.

36 55.38%
  • Virtual cache stage(s) inside the cemetery with the physical cache away from the cemetery.

31 47.69%
  • No cache segment physical or virtual should be placed inside a cemetery.

7 10.77%
  • No cache segment, physical or virtual, should be placed in sight of a cemetery.

1 1.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cemetery caches

Question Cemetery caches

Poll /Discussion for the week - what cemetery cache hides listed above do you feel are acceptable?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Both Lee and I happen to like cemetery caches. There is a lot of history to be learned from them.

However, they must be respectful. We did one cemetery cache where you had to lift the top off from a stone to get coords for the next stage - that was not right in my opinion. We have done others that were hidden right at a grave which we had no problem with, however.

Geocaching history has shown limited problems from cemetery caches, at least comparative to many other types of hides. So the issue most people seem to have is whether the people buried in cemeteries or their families mind outsiders wandering around. As I have stated several times in the forums before - If I were dead buried and not conscious of my surroundings, I would have no problem with a cache at my grave; If I were conscious of my surroundings, I'd be glad some people stopped by to say hi!
    Last edited by brdad; 07-19-2007 at 05:52 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Both Lee and I happen to like cemetery caches. There is a lot of history to be learned from them.
    !
    We agree! We visited one cache lately - "Harry's Garage" by imonfire - that we really enjoyed. You could guess the entire history of a family just by reading the gravestones.

Respectfully done caches in and near a cemetery can serve as a wonderful lesson in history. As with any cache they should be placed with a concern for the area, i.e. is it likely the agressive cacher would tear apart a stone wall to find the cache? Also permission should be obtained.

Haven't done Harry's Garage yet, but I enjoyed the cemetery cache in Stonington and Moe's Mountain is very special.

One more comment - there is a state law about being in cemeteries at night so night caching in a cemetery is a no, no.

I've enjoyed cemetery caches . . . heck long before I was a geocacher I enjoyed going through old cemeteries and reading some of the history there with families, seeing the artwork, the language, etc.

And if the truth be told my Out of the Ashes Cache has you start out in the cemetery with a puzzle (you need to pull the numbers off the headstones) that leads you to a second area (related to the cemetery and these particular headstones) with the physical cache located there. I also have another cache hidden right outside of a particularly scenic cemetery (I'm not listing the name since that's part of the fun of the cache and how some cachers "get" my sense of humor with the naming and description . . . and others don't "get" it.)

My feeling has always been to be respectful . . . for that reason in both cases the physical cache was located outside of the cemetery -- like Lois I also loved Moe's Mountain. I also have no issue with virtual caches in these areas (the one in Bucksport is a great example) or using the info contained in some to bring you to a physical cache located outside of the cemetery.

From my experience (albeit limited) it seems as though there have been few if any geocaching issues involving cemeteries as this seems to be 1) a place few muggles go to on a regular basis (the exception being key holidays and of course the inevitable funeral and burial) so there is less of a chance to run into muggles and 2) most geocaches and geocachers seem to be pretty respectful of cemeteries (I have yet to do a cache located inside a cemetery -- most are right outside or in the wall or fence.)
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    One more comment - there is a state law about being in cemeteries at night so night caching in a cemetery is a no, no.
    Sheesh! You're worried about STATE LAW about being in a cemetery at night???

I'd be a lot more worried about ghosts! LOL!

Well I am here in SC and cemetary caches are off limits and caching was almost banned completely in SC because of some irresponsible cachers and there is still a bill pending in the legislature in regards to that. If you want some info regarding what happened then go here to read about it if you want.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...pic=161997&hl=

Plus there is another thread regarding the SC legislatures actions to this as well but I couldn't find it .

I think just being responsible and not actually hiding the cache in the cemetary would make more sense and maybe use the history on the headstones to maybe find info that could be used to access the cache off the cemetary proper would be the better way to go.

The MGA also has made a ruling against cemetary caches as well if that makes any difference.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Cemetery Caches

Well as the owner of a cemetery cache I have an opinion on this topic. We hid "Denmark's Cache" with permission from the local Quakers (who were suprised to learn there was a slave buried there). One of them now watches the cache and has been quite intrigued by the activity there. My parents live very close to the cache and enjoy watching the cachers come and go and they keep an eye out for problems (such as gate damage or too much foot traffic). The cache is in a location that will not disturb any graves and I will get immediate notification if there is a problem (at which point I would archive the cache). As a child I was fascinated by the history of this site and the power of the internet taught me a lot about the family that "owned" Denmark the slave.

With very prudent stewardship, I think cemetery caches have a lot to offer to cachers and add to a great caching experience. Virtual caches offer the same perks without the constant vigilance of the traditional cache. I for one really enjoy learning about the past and cemetery caches have their place.

That's my opinion - I welcome yours.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Default History

If you enjoy the history of your area, then you will probally agree that cemetary caches are OK! I have done several very nice and interesting caches either near or in a cemetery. Some of which were deep in the woods with a homestead nearby. Something else I do appreciate seeing and "respectfully" exploring. However....I have done 2 caches in cemeteries, which I would have questioned the placement of the cache, so close to head stones. In both cases, there were ample areas around the perimeter to place the container without disturbing the grounds.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I'm not sure how any local caching site (including this one) can or would want to enforce a cemetery ban, but that's besides the point.

I think the best way to preserve cemetery caches is to set an example. Hide thoughtful, respectful cemetery caches with permission. And be respectful when hunting caches. Then we as a group have proof it can be done right.

It should not be that hard, it should be the way we hide/hunt any cache anyway! it only takes a few cache hiders / finders to do something stupid to give the entire game a bad name.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!