vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Which cemetery caches are acceptable? Select all the choices you agree with.

Voters
65. You may not vote on this poll
  • Anything goes! Physical cache anywhere in the cemetery.

1 1.54%
  • Physical cache at a grave site without permission from the family.

0 0%
  • Physical cache at a grave with permission from the family.

21 32.31%
  • Physical cache in the cemetery as long as it is not near any grave.

31 47.69%
  • Physical cache just outside the cemetery.

45 69.23%
  • Virtual cache stage(s) inside the cemetery with the physical cache just outside the cemetery.

36 55.38%
  • Virtual cache stage(s) inside the cemetery with the physical cache away from the cemetery.

31 47.69%
  • No cache segment physical or virtual should be placed inside a cemetery.

7 10.77%
  • No cache segment, physical or virtual, should be placed in sight of a cemetery.

1 1.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cemetery caches

Thumbs up as long as the cachers don't become ghouls

I immediately thought of your cache, FFJ!! Aaron and I loved that one, one of our early hunts! (even though it was sad)

Another favorite was the night cache that takes you past a family cemetry

Well the poll is making a nice bell curve, does that mean we all get B's brdad?
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    I think it just means I got the options in the correct order for a change!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    I immediately thought of your cache, FFJ!! Aaron and I loved that one, one of our early hunts! (even though it was sad)

Another favorite was the night cache that takes you past a family cemetry

I forgot about TRF's Night Cache and the trip past the family cemetery -- that was a great cache to find.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    Well as the owner of a cemetery cache I have an opinion on this topic. We hid "Denmark's Cache" with permission from the local Quakers (who were suprised to learn there was a slave buried there). One of them now watches the cache and has been quite intrigued by the activity there. My parents live very close to the cache and enjoy watching the cachers come and go and they keep an eye out for problems (such as gate damage or too much foot traffic). The cache is in a location that will not disturb any graves and I will get immediate notification if there is a problem (at which point I would archive the cache). As a child I was fascinated by the history of this site and the power of the internet taught me a lot about the family that "owned" Denmark the slave.

With very prudent stewardship, I think cemetery caches have a lot to offer to cachers and add to a great caching experience. Virtual caches offer the same perks without the constant vigilance of the traditional cache. I for one really enjoy learning about the past and cemetery caches have their place.

That's my opinion - I welcome yours.
    I enjoyed this cache as well . . . interesting history and the cache was placed in an area that was respectful to those interred there.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Can I get a gravestone made with a place to hide a cache?????

Maybe it should be a puzzle cache, that you have to figure out how to open the gravestone to reveal the cache inside?

This could be a new product line for the GeoSwag companies....

Seriously, I think discretion is the name of the game. I think virtual caches that lead to intersting and little known significant figures would be very appropriate. Afterall if they didn't want to be visited and remembered, there wouldn't be gravestone markers at all.

I have a cache that uses a fake cemetery . . . and I still didn't place the cache near the gravestone.
    The Adventure
    Continues . . . .

- Zoltarus

I don't think phisical cache is good idea...

We really enjoyed both Moe's Mountain and Denmark's cache. Both are very well done caches. We do not mind cemetary caches, some are very beautiful places. It is interesting reading the old headstones and wondering what happened. We do not believe in caches in newer areas of cemetaries where there could be folks grieving over recent losses. The older the cemetaries are so interesting.

I had a cache location all picked out in the fence along a cemetary in a nearby town. I checked with the Sexton of the cemetary who gave permission but there was an actual board of directors for that cemetary so I asked the sexton to take it to them for permission as well. The board was split, 2-4 in favor, and the discussion revolved around inviting vadalism. Even though the board voted in favor I opted not to place it there because of the concern of some of the members. I didn't want us blamed if there ever WAS vandalism there. The sexton felt so bad about it he called me and offered another spot on his land just up the road (Pine Tree Island cache). So it's probably good to get the permission from the sexton of the cemetary when considering a cemetary cache.

Thumbs up Always ask for permission

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    I had a cache location all picked out in the fence along a cemetary in a nearby town. I checked with the Sexton of the cemetary who gave permission but there was an actual board of directors for that cemetary so I asked the sexton to take it to them for permission as well. The board was split, 2-4 in favor, and the discussion revolved around inviting vadalism. Even though the board voted in favor I opted not to place it there because of the concern of some of the members. I didn't want us blamed if there ever WAS vandalism there. The sexton felt so bad about it he called me and offered another spot on his land just up the road (Pine Tree Island cache). So it's probably good to get the permission from the sexton of the cemetary when considering a cemetary cache.
    Thanks EMSDanel! This is a great story, I'd like to add to the newsletter, April's is too long already, but I'll keep this thread for the May Newsletter.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods