vb:literal>

Thread: GeoZoo

Thumbs up GeoZoo

Things have been quiet around here for a while so I thought I would spice it up with some article. Hope everyone has seen the posting for the first 3 exhibits of the GeoZoo in Orrington by EMSDanel.

He seems to be doing his zoo tour backwards as the first Exhibit it the closest to parking and Exhibits 2 & 3 are further away. Anyway - who cares - he is the "Zoo Keeper". I guess there is more to be seen in this area too!

These caches are not real challenging for experienced cachers or adults but I have to say - really play a great role in our community! First, he obtained permission from the land owner who has signs posted "access by permission only". So Geocachers are exempt. Second, this is a wonderful experience for all in a rural environment (farm land, forest, field, stream, etc.) near an urban setting. A real example of the "wildland urban interface" referred to in many articles about safety city to country.

Caches have been placed with good coords (according to my finds) and are simple enough for kids with a basic GPSr. My daughter keeps telling me her yellow Extrex is far superior for cache finds to mine (and I have to admit she may be right!). The caches would be fun find for kids - animals are always fun and these are user friendly. Cache #3 is a tad high for a little one but they surely would spy the cache (probably quicker than I did).

Not only is it fun - it is anticipatory as I have heard (from the Zoo Keeper himself), that there may be more Zoo Exhibits coming! Wow - That would be great fun! Another little hit is - the Zoo Keeper has offered to conduct a Zoo Keepers tour during my "Apres The Last Cache Bashe of Summer Event 2007" for those who might be interested. Sit back and wait , who knows how many animals you might pet under a headlamp! LOL If you have not done these caches and want to wait for the event, feel free to do do - PM me so I can give the Zoo Keeper and idea of how many may be interested.

We will make sure everyone has dinner before the Safari leaves! Dan - thanks for these great caches and your efforts to do child friendly caches in our area. Also thank you for being willing to offer a Safari during my event!

I've seen the zoo caches pop up but have not really looked into them. Sounds like a good set to take my nieces to when we get a chance.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Smile Ooh! Ooh!

Night caching.....Yah! Yah! night caching! Me Me!

A good hide can be even better at night. Count me in for the tour of the " dark side "
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    Night caching.....Yah! Yah! night caching! Me Me!

A good hide can be even better at night. Count me in for the tour of the " dark side "
    Just come to the Apres event and we will accomodate with hot tubbin' after LOL

Dan has promised a guided tour - I wonder if the Zoo keeper will have appropriate clothing ............ah, I can ask him - pith helmet and all LOL!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Just come to the Apres event and we will accomodate with hot tubbin' after LOL

Dan has promised a guided tour - I wonder if the Zoo keeper will have appropriate clothing ............ah, I can ask him - pith helmet and all LOL!

Hot tubin'!!!

Awesome I got a new sarann wrap speedo I have dieing to try.

I'll chime in here . . . I love the zoo caches . . . I could see how these would easily be favorite caches for small children and this is one theme-type cache idea that I really like . . . at least compared to the spate of recent theme "seed" caches that seem to have taken a-hold of this state. The walk was easy to do for children, the finds and coords were good and the area was quite nice -- in other words perfect caches for children.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    . . . These caches are not real challenging for experienced cachers or adults . . . .
    Mandatory Legal Statement: . . . unless you own a Magellan GPSr.

Sorry Becket . . . it's just that if I don't poke fun of our Magellans Hiram surely will!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

that's okay, jake! my magellan is getting old and feeble - i've said a few not nice things to it in recent weeks! time for a new one soonly! (of course, it cannot be operator error!)
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Update on the Zoo Excursion - EMSDanel and I have been in touch - as soon as some details are finalized look for details on the event web site and here too! Ahhhhh, the suspense!