Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Cache Finds - Return Visits

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default Cache Finds - Return Visits

    Has anyone besides me noticed that there is an emerging group of cachers who return to caches they have previously found and logging these as found again? I know this is not about the numbers but these can surely inflate folks figures.

    In the past, I made a post about how it was a shame that GC.com software would not catch this error. There were some comments to my post.

    Just sort of a question to all. Should duplicate posts be deleted by the cache owner? There may be an instance where the post was done in error and the cacher really wanted to post a note for the revisit. I don't mind the note but it really isn't fair to post another find (with a smilie and an additional cache find in your stats).

    Just wondering what some others thinK?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs up I agree

    I won't go up up my soap box, but most know my feelings on cache numbers. One signed log equals one found cache equals one smiley. It's just that simple. Mistakes however can be made. Stuff happens!
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Has anyone besides me noticed that there is an emerging group of cachers who return to caches they have previously found and logging these as found again? I know this is not about the numbers but these can surely inflate folks figures.
    It IS about the numbers!

    Back when finding a cache was an accomplishment, we used to be concerned "about the numbers". Not any more. We were disgusted a year ago when we cached as far as Alabama on what we thought would be a great caching experience. Sheesh! Caches everywhere - every few hundred feet. They served no purpose other than increasing "the numbers".

    We're not that "pure" - we'll log any cache we pass - but we don't enjoy caching as much as we used to.

    Anyone who logs a cache twice is only concerned about "the numbers". There can be no other explanation for it.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Just sort of a question to all. Should duplicate posts be deleted by the cache owner? There may be an instance where the post was done in error and the cacher really wanted to post a note for the revisit.
    Lacking an explanation as to why the cache was logged twice, I'd delete the 2d entry.

    But as with all caches, it's up to the cache owner. I think I've only deleted one cache log in the 4 years we've been caching. That log was by the cacher's dog.

    Sheesh!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I think I've only deleted one cache log in the 4 years we've been caching. That log was by the cacher's dog.

    Sheesh!
    OMGoodness and I thought cachers duplicaing logs were bad LOL

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I won't go up up my soap box, but most know my feelings on cache numbers. One signed log equals one found cache equals one smiley. It's just that simple. Mistakes however can be made. Stuff happens!
    You could be right - I guess if the cacher just doesn't know that = a mistake.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Lacking an explanation as to why the cache was logged twice, I'd delete the 2d entry.

    But as with all caches, it's up to the cache owner. I think I've only deleted one cache log in the 4 years we've been caching. That log was by the cacher's dog.

    Sheesh!
    Bullie for you Bruce And you know what I mean That dog has more caches than anyone here in the state of Maine and he hides them too,,,,go figure..
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Before deleting the log, email them and explain you do not allow multiple finds on your caches and ask that they edit their log and change it to a note.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Niskayuna, NY
    Posts
    601

    Default

    There are a few, very few, caches out there that the owners indicated that it was OK to log a second time.
    One I have in mind was muggled in its origional location. It was then moved a few hundred feet to a more secure spot. It still had the same GC number and name. Cachers who found it in both locations were allowed to log it both times.




    A house is not a home without a cat.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    There are a few, very few, caches out there that the owners indicated that it was OK to log a second time.
    One I have in mind was muggled in its origional location. It was then moved a few hundred feet to a more secure spot. It still had the same GC number and name. Cachers who found it in both locations were allowed to log it both times.
    I see that example as being OK to log twice. It's as if you logged the first cache, it was disabled and a second cache was posted. If the second cache log is at a new location, it is like finding a new cache. Just my opinion...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •