vb:literal>

Thread: RE: Person needs help in Albion

Default RE: Person needs help in Albion

I received an e-mail today from a farmer who is heading up a camp where the campers are learning about how GPS is affecting/helping farmers.

She sent the e-mail to me today and is looking for someone to do a short how-do-these-work presentation and demo on Thursday (the 9th) -- nothing like giving a little advance warning, eh?

I cannot do this . . . plus the last time I did this (and it also was a last minute request) I struggled to figure out how to use the Garmins and although I did figure them out for the most part, I think I couldn't get the track preference set up (i.e. north up, track up, course up) and when I left most of the campers were going around in circles.

If anyone is interested: hhart@uninets.net.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Well, today is the ninth. Wish I had checked this last night as we were free and babysitter was free The two don't usually coincide in our world.

Quote Originally Posted by hide_from_the_kids View Post
    Well, today is the ninth. Wish I had checked this last night as we were free and babysitter was free The two don't usually coincide in our world.
    When I was younger and a real "go getter", I used to bang my head when things like this happened. Then as I got older, and I hope wiser, I realized there was no need to tear yourself apart; to bend over backwards; and do backflips to accomodate requests for help. The lack of advanced planning on the part of a facilitator is not your fault - nor is there anything you can do to help them rectify the deficiencies which are theirs in the plannig, implementation and facilitation process. Perhaps, in the future, they will learn advance planning can make a whole world of difference. A couple of weeks notice surely may make a big difference between successful recruitment of help or the lack thereof.

When I read the request - it was so close to the date of the function, I didn't event look to see if it would work. Without a notice, now that I am old, I don't even consider doing it. Just MO (my opinion) on the matter of booking "free help" to do and/or assist with your program. Even Jake, if I remember correctly, said this was a short lead time.

Now the Scout program, which is on the forums, has given plenty of notice and I hope if anyone is free they will get come help. I have it on my calendar but it is still a bit soon (with the new granddaughter and our life) to commit for sure. I hate to say yes and back out at the last minute - that is just not fair.

Again, JMO (just my opinion) but folks need to ask for assistance a tad earlier than a week before the event.
    Last edited by hollora; 08-09-2007 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling errors and syntax error

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    When I was younger and a real "go getter", I used to bang my head when things like this happened. Then as I got older, and I hope wiser, I realized there was no need to tear yourself apart; to bend over backwards; and do backflips to accomodate requests for help. The lack of advanced planning on the part of a facilitator is not your fault - nor is there anything you can do to help them rectify the deficiencies which are theirs in the plannig, implementation and facilitation process. Perhaps, in the future, they will learn advance planning can make a whole world of difference. A couple of weeks notice surely may make a big difference between successful recruitment of help or the lack thereof.

When I read the request - it was so close to the date of the function, I didn't event look to see if it would work. Without a notice, now that I am old, I don't even consider doing it. Just MO (my opinion) on the matter of booking "free help" to do and/or assist with your program. Even Jake, if I remember correctly, said this was a short lead time.

Now the Scout program, which is on the forums, has given plenty of notice and I hope if anyone is free they will get come help. I have it on my calendar but it is still a bit soon (with the new granddaughter and our life) to commit for sure. I hate to say yes and back out at the last minute - that is just not fair.

Again, JMO (just my opinion) but folks need to ask for assistance a tad earlier than a week before the event.
    I have to agree with Lois . . . the last time she did the same thing . . . I got an e-mail two days or so ahead of the date she was planning on doing this . . . and then when I get there on time she was running late as the kids were baking pizzas in an outdoor oven . . . and then she brought out this box of Garmin GPSrs (some with near dead batteries) and she starts to try to figure out how to use them at the same time I was trying to learn how to use them . . . it was a complete fiasco and very chaotic.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."