vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: out of state cachers with in state hides

d’76 Guest

Thanks BRad, I maintain a cache for some one out of state and was added to the cache page as someone they can contact if there is maintance that needs to be done. I like it done that way.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...6-7b4d8c86490c

This way everyone knows that it can be taken care of.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Thanks for joining the conversation Brad,

The only reason that I brought this up is the cache owner is from Vermont.

Here is the number GC144P7

It may be that the owner has this all squared away. ANd I would be interested in knowing if gc.com does have rules about out of state caches?

I am not complaining just thinking about cache maintaince in the future.

Thanks again Brad
    The owner of that cache has arranged for a Maine-based experienced geocacher to handle any maintenance issues that might arise.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gpsfun View Post
    The owner of that cache has arranged for a Maine-based experienced geocacher to handle any maintenance issues that might arise.

Thank you.

It always helps to know that someone will take care of the cache and not just let it become geolitter.

I go back and forth on this subject, but when I look back at it many of these vacation caches are better maintained than some placed by locals and many of them are better caches than those placed by locals. I've decided distance from a cache has less bearing on maintenance and quality of caches than common sense does, and gc.com has no way of regulating common sense.

If it was my world to rule, I would more likely only allow paying members place caches and only allow a maximum of 10 or 15 caches per account - maybe 20. If they want to hide more they can pay $30 for another account. Aren't you glad I don't rule the world?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Thanks BRad, I maintain a cache for some one out of state and was added to the cache page as someone they can contact if there is maintance that needs to be done. I like it done that way.

This way everyone knows that it can be taken care of.
    I maintain one also, and it has just been enabled after being disabled (and destroyed by spring snowmelt).

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If it was my world to rule, I would more likely only allow paying members place caches and only allow a maximum of 10 or 15 caches per account - maybe 20. If they want to hide more they can pay $30 for another account. Aren't you glad I don't rule the world?
    What??? You mean you don't want Hiram and me to place the "100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" series that we have planned?

Lets see...

We have:

Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs
    101 Dalmations
    52 Pickup
    365 Days of Christmas
    Goldilocks & the Three Bears
    The Brady Bunch
    Sesame Street
    "Baseball Anyone" (How many baseball teams are there, anyway?)
    16 Counties in Maine
    88 Piano Keys

Sheesh!

Everyone can play a role in keeping the quality level of active geocaches in your area high. First, don't be reluctant to post a "needs maintenance" log on the cache page if you find one that, er, needs maintenance. The note can be written using respectful language to minimize the possibility of angering the cache owner. Needs maintenance logs go to the cache owner and to anyone who has the cache page on their watch list or bookmark list.

Second, if you search for a cache that has a string of DNF logs and you find it to be gone, write a "needs archived" log. Also write a needs archived note if the cache appears to have been abandoned by the owner or if you believe Groundspeak's volunteer reviewer (that's me) should become involved for some reason. Needs archived logs are automatically sent to the reviewers and we will contact the cache owner to request them to fix or archive the cache.

A third approach is to use peer-to peer-conversation to let another geocacher know how his or her caches are perceived. Here again, use of a respectful and helpful tone works much better than bluntly telling someone that their baby is ugly.

From time to time I perform a PQ to obtain a list of inactive caches and work through the list on a time-available basis. Each situation is different, but generally I'll contact cache owners if their cache has been inactive for six weeks or more and ask them what they plan to do about it. Right now I'm part way through the Maine list.

I understand brdad's point, but here again each situation is different. There are cache owners with very large numbers of caches out there who may have one or two marked inactive for short periods, and there are other cache owners whose few caches would be better placed in landfills.

Returning to something from the OP, if you want to raise an issue about a cache, please include the waypoint number. Firing off generalities usually leads to endless speculation with no real results.

For me personally (and it's just me and my caches) I limit my caches to areas where I know I could go to and check for problems that day if need be . . . which tends to be in the city where I work and in the town (and surrounding towns) where I live.

If someone has made arrangements to have a local cacher maintain their cache if need be, I would have no problem with that fact. Again, only my opinion.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

. . .
    I'm thinking if this were the case there would be not so many caches to find . . . and I'm talking quality caches as well.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Aren't you glad I don't rule the world?
    Yes, 'cause you would make me get your coffee for you too!
    ~ Beach Comber ~