vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: out of state cachers with in state hides

d’76 Guest

Default out of state cachers with in state hides

I would be interested in knowing how the folks here feel about out of state cachers vacationing here in the state placing caches then leaving after vacation is over.

I thought that there was rules about that when it comes to maintaining them.

Any thoughts would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I would be interested in knowing how the folks here feel about out of state cachers vacationing here in the state placing caches then leaving after vacation is over.

If, now that's a big word! , the placer has made arrangements with a local or in-state cacher to maintain a cache & it is done in consulation with the that local cacher I guess I am ok with it. I just wonder why an instate cacher perhaps hasn't already used the site themseleves?????!!!!!

Are you referring to some recent caches I have seen and believe have been placed and don't seem to have in-state maintainers? I wonder if these just slipped by our reviewer. Which, I surely, believe may be the case.

It is my belief our reviewer does really care and if/when a "vacation cache" as I think they are called comes for review and attention indicates it as such, I think he will respond appropriately. Perhaps we should let him know when we see these caches appear. I can understand how these would easily slip by the review process. People travel and they move - who is to say these isn't a cache where folks have moved or are they traveling.

That raises a point that maybe there should be a pointed question in the review process....... like - "Is this placed in your state of residence?" If not, and than have some verification questions which would ensure a plan for maintenance.

Clearly, if you can not maintain the cache or don't have someone local to help - there is an issue. I remember one down around Searsport and haven't looked at that one lately. It was wet, there were some issues and the owner wasn't returning til this summer. Folks found it but......is it up to the finders to do long term care? There are other vacation caches placed in this state and even one in the Searsport area which have caused no problems.

Great question and I hope this generates some discussion and maybe some ideas on how GC.com might improve the review process.

Post I will agree...

However the last time I brought this up with a reviewer, I was slapped down as to mind my own business. What I was told is that most of the time an out of state cacher is allowed to place a vacation cache as long as they have contacted a local to look after it in case it has an issue. That's what i know.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    However the last time I brought this up with a reviewer, I was slapped down as to mind my own business. What I was told is that most of the time an out of state cacher is allowed to place a vacation cache as long as they have contacted a local to look after it in case it has an issue. That's what i know.
    Well, maybe we need to be more attentive, as locals, to call attendtion to problems with vacation caches where there are no instate maintainers.

I just suggested maintenance on the North Haven cache and that isn't even a vacaction cache. It has been in trouble for months (first part muggled). Last week I went to Vinalhaven and did a cache which hadn't been found for nearly a year. Owner = out of state, ? in-state maintainer. Fortunately it was ok........a tad damp but nothing that would not have been normal for tupperware which had been under bark and not opened for a year.

Think we in-state folks could write a long list of these caches some being ok and some not so ok. And some of these cachers come for their vacations, never touch or go to their caches, grab bugs from other caches and then - well, some move - some don't.

Guess I just hope when I have visited another state I have done so respectfully, not put a cache out without permisssion or a maintainer and have treated TBs and coins respectfully as well.

Question - how do we change it??? - work with our reviewer, GC.com, as well as the placing cachers on vacation. That is JMO (just my opinion).

But then again - there are local cachers that don't maintain their caches.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Comber View Post
    But then again - there are local cachers that don't maintain their caches.

That's true! Also, no matter who the cache owner is, we try to help maintain any cache we find (dry them out, add a log book or pencil - add swag, remove "junk") Cache maintenance belongs to all of us doesn't it?
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

I can't really agree to ALL of us being cache maintainers but I try to do my best when it comes to finding a cache that needs a little TLC. I have emailed GPSfun and have asked him to chime in and explain to us about his approving out of staters placing caches so let's see what he has to say.

I can remember one cache that TRF and myself found one time that was way overdue for some maintenance so we just about replaced the whole cache with new swag and logbook and container, I guess we did replace the whole cache.....lol, and never even got a thank you from the owner.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post

Please include the cache waypoint number (GC?????) of the cache or caches you find to be of concern.

Thank you.

d’76 Guest

Thanks for joining the conversation Brad,

The only reason that I brought this up is the cache owner is from Vermont.

Here is the number GC144P7

It may be that the owner has this all squared away. ANd I would be interested in knowing if gc.com does have rules about out of state caches?

I am not complaining just thinking about cache maintaince in the future.

Thanks again Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand how explaining to you that a cache placed by someone outside their normal geocaching range can be published if a local person has been engaged to handle maintenance issues in their absence can be considered as being "slapped down" and I'm sorry you felt bad about the answer.

The relevant guideline section can be found here: http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#maint

Often maintenance plans are noted on the cache page in reviewer notes which are archived at the time a cache page is published. However the information remains available to reviewers and site administrators.