Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Wheelin' in Western Mass

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, Maine
    Posts
    357

    Default Wheelin' in Western Mass

    Went down to a NAXJA (North American XJ Assn.) trail run in Western Ma. this weekend. Here's a video of what they consider an "easy" trail ride (we are first on the big rock face):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lMosjNcK2I

    The video does not do the rock face we are climbing justice--all you could see is sky, and going too far on either side would result in a flop. Watch the stock Rubi go up for a better perspective of the steepness, and watch our front lockers do their job.

    We had a great time and the Jeep performed admirably, although the small tire were certainly a hinderance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    man, that looked like fun, you should've posted it as an event!!

    good to see ya made it out ok, like I always say, any ride you drive away from is a good ride.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Cool video . . . although I have to say that I'm pretty glad that our Tread Lightly events aren't this extreme since I have to use my vehicle as a daily driver and risking major damage wouldn't make me (or Heidi) very happy.

    I did get a kick out of the Rubicon . . . looked relatively new and I cringed everytime I heard it scraping . . . I think getting an older vehicle and modding it would be the thing to do if you wanted to get into this as a hobby.

    Incidentally Mike are you familiar with the Western Maine Jeeping Association (or something to that effect)? I believe they're doing an event at the end of this month . . . or maybe it's the next month . . . one of my Assistant Chiefs is a member and die-hard Jeeper . . . he's got something like four or five different types and even bought some land out in Dixfield where he has built trails to ride on with others.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, Maine
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Cool video . . . although I have to say that I'm pretty glad that our Tread Lightly events aren't this extreme since I have to use my vehicle as a daily driver and risking major damage wouldn't make me (or Heidi) very happy.

    I did get a kick out of the Rubicon . . . looked relatively new and I cringed everytime I heard it scraping . . . I think getting an older vehicle and modding it would be the thing to do if you wanted to get into this as a hobby.

    Incidentally Mike are you familiar with the Western Maine Jeeping Association (or something to that effect)? I believe they're doing an event at the end of this month . . . or maybe it's the next month . . . one of my Assistant Chiefs is a member and die-hard Jeeper . . . he's got something like four or five different types and even bought some land out in Dixfield where he has built trails to ride on with others.
    Ha ha--this was the "easy" trail. We decided we'd had enough and took the rest of the day off sightseeing then headed back to camp.

    That Rubi was brand new--first trail ride--it wasn't quite so new after the run.

    I'm not sure about Mass clubs, but here is a link to one that one of the NAXJA members is also a member of (and invited us to a labor day run):
    http://www.berkshire4wheelers.org/

    There is a new ORV park opening up in the Lewiston area. I hope to be able to check it out--that might be nice for an ORCA event.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fairfield, Maine
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    man, that looked like fun, you should've posted it as an event!!

    good to see ya made it out ok, like I always say, any ride you drive away from is a good ride.
    It was a challange! I would have posted it, but the final decision to go was made at the last minute. Man, I would hate to break something important on a trail like that--I don't know how you'd get back. When the front tires were up in the air and the skinny pedal was on the floor, I never once regretted putting the money into the axles and lockers.

    As I mentioned to Jake, there is an ORV park opening up in the Lewiston area that we should check out for a possible event.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The G Team View Post
    As I mentioned to Jake, there is an ORV park opening up in the Lewiston area that we should check out for a possible event.
    lemme know when and where, and we can go down and check it out
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    lemme know when and where, and we can go down and check it out
    . . . and break stuff on our Jeeps.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . and break stuff on our Jeeps.
    and winch out the toyotas...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    and winch out the toyotas...
    . . . although I don't think my Toyota has been winched anywhere yet . . . of course I'm not doing the type of stuff that Mike posted either!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •