vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The numbers game

Default Then there are people.......

WhereRU, In my 40 plus years of associating with people from Maine, I have found them to be reserved, quiet but a great group of folks. Most are tolerant enough to accept others as they are, if not accepting them as one of "them." I find that the attitude that you display shows none of these endearing characteristics. If you got out into the mainstream of caching, you will find it a lot different than your narrow idea of the only way it should be done.
    "Don't tell me how good you are. Show me with your results!" ---Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleJoe
    WhereRU, In my 40 plus years of associating with people from Maine, I have found them to be reserved, quiet but a great group of folks. Most are tolerant enough to accept others as they are, if not accepting them as one of "them." I find that the attitude that you display shows none of these endearing characteristics. If you got out into the mainstream of caching, you will find it a lot different than your narrow idea of the only way it should be done.
    I see no need for an attack against WhereRU here. It has nothing to do with his acceptance of people outside of Maine. He merely stated a micro in a lightpole was not his idea of caching. It's his opinion. He feels this state has many more worthy places to offer for a cache with a nice hide and location.

It's because of many hide-hungry cachers who went overboard submitting virtual caches on every plaque, statue, and sign in town that forced geocaching.com to incorporate such harsh restrictions on virtual caches now. I hate rules, but it would not surprise me if they will be forced to enact the same strict sandards on micros (and eventually even full size) caches in the future if this trend continues on.

Obviously Mainers have accepted the caches WhereRU speaks of - they were logged after all. But we don't have to like it just because it's being done in other states. We are free to have an opinion of what we feel is a quality cache just as well as you are.

I usually log DNF's, but sometimes I don't bother because I'd look awfully stupid.
    Like at BRDAD's Old 470 cache in Waterville. I looked 5 times, and only found it the 5th time because I had a LOT of helpful hints from BRDAD.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    I usually log DNF's, but sometimes I don't bother because I'd look awfully stupid.
    Like at BRDAD's Old 470 cache in Waterville. I looked 5 times, and only found it the 5th time because I had a LOT of helpful hints from BRDAD.
    Well, no need to feel stupid; there's a lot of people who logged DNFs there (as well as others who emailed and didn't log). I guess I picked a good spot, eh?

I does not bother me as much to see someone not log a DNF if the cache has been found lately, but DNF logs are some of the best reads so I like to post them anyway. And at least, you notified me, so I was aware the cache could be missing.

And thanks for your comments, BRDAD. And I don't think my feelings about geocaching are that rare. I refer you to an editorial on Today's Cacher (thanks for the link, Haffy6!) which appears to echo my sentiments:

http://www.todayscacher.com/archives...editorial.html