vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The numbers game

Hybrid View

Question The numbers game

I know this has been discussed on gc.com, but I'd like to see what the folks here in Maine think about this.

How do you feel about the stats, the number of finds that are kept for all to see on user's profile pages on geocaching.com?

Do you care what your numbers are? Do you care what other folks have for numbers?

I love the numbers. But you have to take them with a grain of salt.

We all approach caches differently, have different capabilities, and differing amounts of time to devote to the game. One of the first cachers I befriended online has only 21 finds, dragging his oxygen tank with him. But he's earned every one of them. he even collapsed within feet of a cache and had to get help.

And then there are those that log finds on caches they didn't find, or log finds on their own caches. And then there's those that don't think virts or locationless should count.

So anyway, it makes it hard to make any real comparison, but it's always fun to joke around with the numbers. BTW, I have 4 more to 400! hehe

I think its interesting seeing what others have achieved but at the same time I can respect a persons privacy and think their should be a way to disable others from viewing ones stats. But just think, who would we look up to if there were no stats. Would we have to rely on FTF's, and we all know who the king of the FTF is here in Maine......don't we YOP. The stats give some a little incentive to get out and do a little more perhaps, but in the long run its not how many you get, its the fun getting to them.

I like the numbers and often look at others to see what they have done. I can not believe that people log caches that they have not found. That is unspeakable in my book. I hate to mark the ones I have not found. But I do. I guess I am just to honest.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I like the numbers and often look at others to see what they have done. I can not believe that people log caches that they have not found. That is unspeakable in my book. I hate to mark the ones I have not found. But I do. I guess I am just to honest.
    Those are two of my pet peeves - people who log without finding and those that don't DNF when they don't find.

One of the top cachers in the country with 4000+ finds, have many disputable logs, one of which says something to the effect of "The park was closed and so was the gate, and the cache was .15 miles away, so we took this pic and hope you claim it as a find" I also blame that partly on the owner for not deleting the log. I am sure they have many finds, but even just that one log sours your respect for their numbers.

And DNFs report information to the owner that he might not know otherwise. I decided at my first DNF to give myself 24 hours to find a cache before logging a DNF, so if I decided to look again the next day I didn't log DNF, but if I am not going back or I do go back and don't find it, I log a DNF.

I really should not let it bother me, the numbers in reality mean nothing. And I give leeway for those that mistakingly log, it's the ones that log just to up the numbers that really irk me - it does them no good in reality.

Of course, there are always exceptions, and ultimately I like to think it should be between the hider and the finder if a log is valid.

Like some in here, i dislike the fact that a cache owner can say, 'Oh, go ahead and log it as a find'....
    For goodness sakes! the cache was geo-muggled! Period.

I was a member of that "group" looking for it Like me, some of the others posted the cache as not found. Its nice to know a few other honest cachers as well. I'm told the cache is back in place. Thats nice. I can find it at my own leisure.

Its very disappointing to observe a post that seems to me should be invalid. Kudos to all geo-cachers with a true heart for the hunt and the game.

Sorry, just needed to vent all that

And then there are the people put micro caches everywhere just to build up their numbers. Putting film canisters in light posts at Wendy's or "Hide a Key" containers behind the guard rails at Dunkin' Donuts is not my idea of geocaching. I've seen many fantastic places that I would otherwise never have known existed thanks to geocaching.

For some reason I thought that was what was on your mind WhereRwe from the conversation we had at the picnic. I too agree with the location of some of these micros that seem to be popping up around but don't think it will become a problem as far as the regular Mainacs putting them out.If you know what I mean. I think it is a numbers game to a certain respect but I myself just take them with a grain of salt and just like getting out to places that have some sigificance to the person who put it there.And I am hoping to make it to maybe 200 before the year is out. Seems like just yesterday that I said I didn't think I would ever get to 100 and have already passed that goal. Boy time goes by fast doesn't it?

I once saw a comedian who was talking about how people drive. He joked about it along the lines that he thinks anyone who is going slower than him on the road is an over-cautious idiot who doidn't know how to drive and anyone who is going faster than him is a reckless crazy person.

I like to check on a person's numbers just to get a feel for how new and how involved they are. I hate to admit it, but I sometimes catch myself thinking a bit like that comedian. Folks with way more finds than me are crazy caching addicts and those with numbers a lot less than mine are newbies or not really into it. I do my best to fight and overcome these internal mental prejudices.

As for my own numbers, yeah it's a nice way for me to keep track of things, but ever since we topped 100, I don't seem to really care much about the number anymore.

And I couldn't care less whether someone else pads their numbers or claim finds that the rest of us won't. I don't see this as a competative activity. They are cheating no one but themselves. If that's the way they play the game they are hurting no one.

Not logging DNFs errks me too. You never know the cache may have been muggled so you should log it. Ive noticed some cachers who log a whole bunch that Ive been to and wondered how can they get to all those in one day, without getting a couple of speeding tickets seeing how there is nearly 8hr of travel, let alone the hunts for the cache, hummmmmm.