vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The numbers game

That bring up a question for me. While we were caching at the Cache "Small Falls" (I think that was the name). We found one that was arcived and we logged it. Was that a legitament find or should we have not logged it?
    Blazing Troll

My mom and I started off hell bent for leather with the caching and the numbers, etc, but with gas prices so high we don't cache as much as before. We will just keep throwing BBQ events and ..... wait for the gas prices to drop.

It's hard not to look at the numbers (Geochicks is only 72) and compare them to Brdad or YOP (easily at 350+) and not be a little ashamed to call yourself a geocacher. But like Brdad said, he knows a guy (with the O2 tank) that has earn all his caches. My mom and I feel that way.. Since Brdad and YOP don't have a tired 3-year old to carry to and from the cache!

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    That bring up a question for me. While we were caching at the Cache "Small Falls" (I think that was the name). We found one that was arcived and we logged it. Was that a legitament find or should we have not logged it?
    Yep! You found the cache! Log it!

Did you remove it afterward? Since it was archived, you probably should have.

paramachenee found one that had been archived a year (while he was looking for a spot to replace it no less!), and was a few hundred feet from where it had originally been placed. Wicked cool!
    Last edited by brdad; 06-25-2004 at 09:23 PM.

Default I agree...

....with everything said here so far! It's been a tough week for me re: DNFs...but I log 'em!! As far as the #s...I like the stats, but only as a gauge for myself...not as competition with other geocachers. I like to keep track of milestones (50, 100, etc.) and I post them in the "news" section of my user profile on gc.com with links to said caches.

And then there are the people who like to record TB numbers for use at a later time. One of the TB's I picked up at the BBQ was logged into a microcache 60 miles away 2 days later. It could NEVER have been placed in that cache, and since it was in my posession, the log was fraudulent. AHA! I had received a notice that my note in the cache log about this had been deletd, a check of the site also reveals that the note placing the TB in the cache is gone, and a new note just up in the BBQ cache site placing it there.

How does anyone feel about manipulating TB's and caches like this?

Default I hate numbers

I really hate the numbers game. Down here in Ma. everyone is consumed with them. Including myself. I found that I was allways looking at the leader board and trying to figure out how long it would take me to get up to some others stats. Cachers allways asking how many you got. Dont get me wrong I found the Ma cachers great and allways willing to help out but numbers allways come up. With all the caches found in maine I have never been asked how many you got, but asked this myself of the ones I run into.

What finally happend is that at my 100 th find I thought, why do I really care how many I plant and find. That is not why I got into it. I was so bad in the past that I did not log DNF for 3 caches because I hated the way the smiley face looked in my personal page.(dont cuss me out for that)
    I learned that no one can police and no one can get worked up over it and miss why we do it. It is just plain fun.

I now log all dnf and do not look anymore at how many I have. I know that it is not a lot more than I think, at just hitting 100th find but i just go with it. I have had run ins with people putting false finds on my caches and dont argue with them anymore just deleate it. I had someone claim a find when I had the box home over the weekend re painting it.

So I dont get tweeked anymore about people that get cought sneaking the numbers up, It detracts from what my fun is with caching.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I just realized; Smalls Falls is just disabled, not archived. So you shouldn't have removed it as I stated in a previous post.

The odd part is, there are 3 caches at Smalls Falls:

Smalls Falls (GC5F9B) by Tiger_tat & family (2.5/2) was listed on 2002-06-02

Smalls Falls (GC6084) by N1SDR (2.5/2.5) was listed on 2002-06-04

Below Smalls Falls (GCG4VZ) by N1ULY & Cricket's_Song (1.5/1.5) was listed on 2003-05-18

I guess the first two were posted before the .1 mile rule as they are only 144.240 ft apart, or the timing was so close they didn't notice. There's not much need for 3 caches here, but I hope Tiger_Tat replaces or archives it before too long.

The numbers game in geocaching is like real estate...location, location, location. There is an event coming up this weekend in Tennessee called the Second Annual Geo-Woodstock where they request you do a query of 300 for one zip code!! They say you will get 100 caches in a 12 hour period and may actually do more!! How far do you have to drive in Maine to get 100 caches? I had a log on one of my caches of an 8 yr. old boy from Ohio who had logged 500 caches!! Think back to how excited you were to find the first cache or your FTF. Keep that in mind...that's what it's all about. My numbers are important to me...but only because they have so many memories....they are milestones in just another adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by parmachenee
    There is an event coming up this weekend in Tennessee called the Second Annual Geo-Woodstock where they request you do a query of 300 for one zip code!!
    Here are the stats for a PQ I Did of the closest 500 caches to my brother's house in Fremont, CA, at the end of 2003:

Total Caches: 500

Caches by type:
    Traditional Cache: 353 (70.6%)
    Multi-Cache: 49 (9.8%)
    Virtual Cache: 16 (3.2%)
    Event Cache: 1 (.2%)
    Webcam Cache: 2 (.4%)
    Unknown Cache: 75 (15%)
    Locationless (Reverse) Cache: 4 (.8%)

Caches by container:
    Not Listed: 17 (3.4%)
    Micro: 242 (48.4%)
    Regular: 203 (40.6%)
    Large: 1 (.2%)
    Other: 16 (3.2%)
    Virtual: 21 (4.2%)

Cache Ratings:
    Difficulty:
    Minimum: 1
    Maximum: 5
    Average: 2.1
    Terrain:
    Minimum: 1
    Maximum: 5
    Average: 1.5

Distance:
    Minimum: .32 mi
    Maximum: 16.5 mi
    Average: 11.6 mi

Cache Age:
    Oldest Cache: 2000-12-10
    Youngest Cache: 2004-01-24
    Average hidden date: 2003-03-25

Makes me like Maine caches (And cache hiders) all the more!

Holy crap!!! 500 within 12 miles,no wonder they have high numbers. I feel the same way Dad. I'm happy to live here in the state of Maine.