vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Friend Requests

Default Friend Requests

What's this about the new feature on the geocaching site, "friend requests"? First I thought I had no "friends", then I got a request from someone who started caching yesterday and I was stuck for an answer. How do I know I want to be his "friend"? Maybe he's a really nice person. Maybe he's a mass murderer (but I doubt it). Anyway, I accepted but have no clue what that means, if anything. Somehow this feature sounds more like My Space or whatever teenagers are into.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    What's this about the new feature on the geocaching site, "friend requests"? First I thought I had no "friends", then I got a request from someone who started caching yesterday and I was stuck for an answer. How do I know I want to be his "friend"? Maybe he's a really nice person. Maybe he's a mass murderer (but I doubt it). Anyway, I accepted but have no clue what that means, if anything. Somehow this feature sounds more like My Space or whatever teenagers are into.

If you don't know him, there's no reason to be his "friend". LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    If you don't know him, there's no reason to be his "friend". LOL!
    I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone that would want me as a freind...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Agree with Bruce, if you don't know someone I am not sure I would accept a "friend" request. Maybe someone else on this Board knows more about that feature on GC.com.

IIRC, the friends feature gives you the ability to get notifications of caches they have found as well as stats for them, and I think there was more planned for the feature in the future.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

the Freind Request sounds like fun. I am allways looking for people to go cacheing with.

I'm sure it's harmless or GC.com wouldn't have put it on as a new feature. It comes up when you e-mail someone through that site, check "friend request". Then it's in your account. Just click on "my friends" and the names come up of all your "friends", click on one and you can e-mail them. It's just an address book for cachers you might want to contact. Or at least, that's all I can figure out. So I now have one "friend". I think he's probably a teenager, fresh from My Space. He found my signature card in a cache. It's probably a useful tool if you have a few cachers you contact from time to time. You can already get everyone's stats, hides, finds, TBs etc. without it. I thought maybe it had some other use I hadn't thought of, but I guess not.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I wouldn't want to be friends with anyone that would want me as a freind...
    Anyone who treats me to ice cream and then drives way out of his way to bring me home when my car dies in the middle of nowhere (well the "Bermuda Triangle of Benton") after relentlessly teasing him about his Jeep and its tendency to shed its parts is a true friend.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    . . .Maybe he's a mass murderer (but I doubt it). . . .

Well, you'll know this is the case if you do one of his caches and find body parts as trade-able items.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Now that would make a different cache! What would be a good name for it.....