Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47

Thread: Event Recipes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default Event Recipes

    Seems there is never an event but what someone discovers a new taste treat and wants the recipe. Maybe is there is space on this site we should start an Event Recipe Thread subtitle. Anyway - someone asked for the French Toast recipe - from the Apres event breakfast so here it is:

    OverNight French Toast - 1 loaf French Bread, 5 eggs, 3/4 c milk, 1/4 Tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 - 20 oz bag of frozen strawberries (I use a plastic container of sliced strawberries and I think it is about 16 oz), 4 ripe sliced bananas, 3/4 - 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp to 1 T apple pie spice or cinnamon. Cut loaf of bread into 8 or more thick slices. Combine eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I do this in a heavy duty plastic gallon bag. It packs nicely in a frig, sailboat frig, cooler or ice chest.) In the morning combine frozen strawberries (I thaw them overnight), sliced bananas, sugar and spice. Put fruit mixture in greased baking dish, top with prepared bread. Sprinkle bread with additional sugar and cinnamon. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes.

    Also - I took a Pasta Salad to the Last Cache Bashe - here is that one.

    Pasta Salad - 1 box of spinach pasta (I used curly), diced onions, diced peppers, some garlic, hand cut up tomatoes, 1 can of black beans (rinsed), 1 can of red kidney beans (rinsed) and a bottle of Hannaford Italian Dressing. All tossed in a 1 Gallon heavy duty zip top plastic bag. The vegetable quanity is to taste and looks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Jackson, Maine
    Posts
    109

    Default Low Carb Cauliflower "potato" salad

    Cauliflower "Potato" Salad

    You can make this recipe using the same kinds of dressing, spices, etc, that you'd use to make potato salad - in fact, adjusting it to your own taste is important to the success of this dish. My biggest tip, though, is if you really want it to have the consistency of potato salad, order some Carb Counters Instant Mashers. You don't have to use much, but it creates the starchy consistency of potato salad. The salad is still very good without it, though.
    INGREDIENTS:
    • 1 medium head cauliflower (about 4 cups/1 quart florets)
    • 2 hard-boiled eggs
    • 1 medium stalk celery, minced (including leaves)
    • cup chopped green pepper
    • 2 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
    • 3 tablespoons Carb Counters Instant Mashers (optional)
    • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 tablespoon prepared mustard (brown or yellow)
    • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
    • teaspoon garlic powder
    • teaspoon onion powder
    • 1-2 drops hot sauce or a pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
    • 1-2 teaspoons worth sugar substitute
    • 2 tablespoons sugar-free pickle relish or dill relish, or chopped sugar-free pickle
    • Salt and pepper
    • Fresh herbs (optional, but good - see below)
    PREPARATION:

    1) Break or chop the cauliflower into smallish florets. If they are too big, they're difficult to cook so that they have the right "bite" and flavor - the outside tends to overcook.
    2) Microwave florets in a covered container with a small amount of water, or steam on the stove.
    I've never tried boiling, but cauliflower tends to hold on to water, so I'm a little skeptical. You want them to be fork-tender (a fork slips in easily), but not overcooked (avoiding the stronger smell and flavor which develops with longer cooking).
    3) Drain and put into a medium bowl. Chop the egg and add. Toss with salt and pepper. I like quite a bit of pepper, and it does seem to take a surprising amount of salt, but this would be to taste. Sprinkle in the Carb Counter Instant Mashers if you're using them, and toss again.
    4) Mix the ingredients for the dressing (mayo, lemon juice, spices, etc.). Taste for the balance of flavors you like. Mix the chopped vegetables and the dressing into the cauliflower and egg mixture. Add chopped fresh herbs if you wish - chives, dill, or parsley work well, but I've even used mint for something different. Garnish with the herb, or sprinkle with paprika. Chill.
    Makes 8 servings.
    A cache by any other name is still a cache

    <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=07b93657-e12e-41dd-a1bb-baaf19f6a3ad" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.geocaching.com/stats/img.aspx?txt=Let's+go+geocaching&uid=07b93657-e12e-41dd-a1bb-baaf19f6a3ad&bg=1" border="0" title="Profile for Mainelyroses" alt="Profile for Mainelyroses"></a>

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainelyroses View Post
    Cauliflower "Potato" Salad
    Rose - thanks for sharing this one! So many folks are watching carbs today. I should watch them more!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Rose - thanks for sharing this one! So many folks are watching carbs today. I should watch them more!
    I watch them very closely . . . the problem is I'm watching them go on to my fork and then into my mouth and down the gullet.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Hollora . . . how about Dave divulging the vaunted BFD strombi recipe?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Seems there is never an event but what someone discovers a new taste treat and wants the recipe. Maybe is there is space on this site we should start an Event Recipe Thread subtitle. Anyway - someone asked for the French Toast recipe - from the Apres event breakfast so here it is:

    OverNight French Toast - 1 loaf French Bread, 5 eggs, 3/4 c milk, 1/4 Tsp baking powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 - 20 oz bag of frozen strawberries (I use a plastic container of sliced strawberries and I think it is about 16 oz), 4 ripe sliced bananas, 3/4 - 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp to 1 T apple pie spice or cinnamon. Cut loaf of bread into 8 or more thick slices. Combine eggs, milk, baking powder and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (I do this in a heavy duty plastic gallon bag. It packs nicely in a frig, sailboat frig, cooler or ice chest.) In the morning combine frozen strawberries (I thaw them overnight), sliced bananas, sugar and spice. Put fruit mixture in greased baking dish, top with prepared bread. Sprinkle bread with additional sugar and cinnamon. Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes.

    Also - I took a Pasta Salad to the Last Cache Bashe - here is that one.

    Pasta Salad - 1 box of spinach pasta (I used curly), diced onions, diced peppers, some garlic, hand cut up tomatoes, 1 can of black beans (rinsed), 1 can of red kidney beans (rinsed) and a bottle of Hannaford Italian Dressing. All tossed in a 1 Gallon heavy duty zip top plastic bag. The vegetable quanity is to taste and looks.

    I LOVED THAT FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!!

    (the spicey chicken the night before was really good too!)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Hollora . . . how about Dave divulging the vaunted BFD strombi recipe?
    Maybe I can work on him - I don't know as he has it but maybe.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    I LOVED THAT FRENCH TOAST!!!!!!!

    (the spicey chicken the night before was really good too!)
    Durkee wings mix - cook in a bag. Sauce and mixes isle in the grocery store. Used chicken thighs instead of wings (you get more meat!).

    There's my secrets!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    If I was going I would have made this for dessert. I got this recipe from Lynda one of the Hiker twins quite some time ago and I make it all the time now.


    Orange Buttermilk Salad

    1 can (20oz) unsweetened, undrained crushed pineapple

    3 tbls sugar

    1 pkg (6 oz) orange flavored gelatin

    2 cups buttermilk

    1 carton (8 oz) Cool Whip, thawed

    1 cup chopped walnuts.

    In a saucepan combine pineapple and sugar, bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When mixture boils, immediately add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Remove from the heat and cool slightly.

    Stir in buttermilk and chill until partially set. Fold in whipped topping and nuts. If necessary, chill until mixture mounds slightly. Pour into a lightly oiled 8- cup mold. Chill overnight.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Haffy - that sounds yummie. Thanks for sharing!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •