vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Western Maine

Default Western Maine

Hi!

We are staying in Jackson, NH for a week at the end of the month. We are planning on visiting Maine several days. We are thinking about the Rangeley area down to Freyburg, sorry Kayaking Loon the Eustis area is a bit too far. I would love to see Loons or Moose on this trip. I am more interested in finding good locations than large numbers of finds. I have my pocket queries but haven't figured out which ones are must finds. My problem is that I have a step disability, no terrains over 2, the difficulty doesn't matter.

Thanks and take care,
    Sam

that's one part of maine I havent cached in too much (and I still need to get over there for the delorme challenge) but from my experience with caches in that direction, there's not a whole lot of easy grab-n-go caches, but just about everyone takes you to a nice spot you wont forget. Ya might want to try a pocket query from fryberg, but set your difficulties low.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I was hoping someone would have chimed in before now but I guess not. I have done a few in the Rangley area but most of them are not of the easy terrain type of caches. It's just a beautiful area though and Rt 17 from Rangley down to Rumford is very pretty especially in the fall during the foliage season. Oh wait it is getting near that time now isn't it? I forget since I am down here in SC now and the temps are still in the 90's. This photo was taken near the cache called Bemis. It is located on the AT and probably would't be an easy terrain type of cache for you though. This is taken from the road close to the cache. A very beautiful area non the less. Enjoy!!!

Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Wow, the area in the photo looks amazing. Bemis is one I can do, will make a point to find it.

Any problems with mosquitos this time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by Team Ducky View Post
    Wow, the area in the photo looks amazing. Bemis is one I can do, will make a point to find it.

Any problems with mosquitos this time of year?
    it's been gettin down into the 40's at night (probably 30s over and up that way) mosquitos shouldnt bother ya too much. but bug spray is always a handy thing to have (especially with the midges... i hate those lil buggers)

Remember, you won't be in NH anymore. In Maine, the sparrow sized mosquitos bite even on Christmas day. If you get into South Paris, try Cornwall nature preserve. All flat walking but a little ways into the woods.

Cornwall preserve looks like a cache I must visit. I created a bookmark of the caches I plan to visit for the day. http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/...9-430b0f8d50aa

I doubt that I will hit all 17 places I marked. I plan on doing this run on Wed (9/26) or Thur (9/27). If anyone wants to meet up, perhaps in Harrison for dinner?

If you do Bemis, remember to do the micro in the same place, Minnesota Twins Visit Height of the Land. I haven't done many down in the Rumford area yet. What route are you taking? If you're going to Bemis don't forget to do Coos Canyon. If you should take Rt. 16 up to Errol and then into Maine I can suggest more caches that are nice. And you're not coming to Eustis! What!!!! We're only a 25 minute drive from Rangeley.
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    If you do Bemis, remember to do the micro in the same place, Minnesota Twins Visit Height of the Land. I haven't done many down in the Rumford area yet. What route are you taking? If you're going to Bemis don't forget to do Coos Canyon. If you should take Rt. 16 up to Errol and then into Maine I can suggest more caches that are nice. And you're not coming to Eustis! What!!!! We're only a 25 minute drive from Rangeley.
    and if ya go to Eustis you can get some darn good wheel cheese from the Pines Market too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    Yes, we have all of those caches bookmarked. The order Moose Hunt(NH), Just a little bit closer(NH), B17 crash site, Upper Dam: Leon's Bench, Upper Dam: Leon's Nano-Gram, Rangeley Overlook, Bemis, Height of the Land, Coos Cayon(drop off Cameoooooo's Lost Keys, hey it mentions a house key. Anyone know where Cache Maines lives? ) , Rumford Falls, The Falls, Cornwall Nature Preserve. Is the B17 site crash site worth the visit? Is there a cache I should visit that is missing from the list?

Eustis is 25 minutes away but another 25 minutes back, not to mention the hunting for cache.

We are doing the trip on Tuesday.

Monday is another long day...VT, Quebec, NH. Wednesday I will need to recover. Thursday is the lake region of NH. Friday, thinking about doing Daytripper, and the other one on the island. Saturday, more Maine around the Portland area. Oh, the first Saturday we are doing a route from the Portland Airport to Jackson, NH...I think I have 10-12 marked. The other half of the team isn't going to be happy with the heavy cache load, I think I bookmarked 50-60 caches. Even though I only have 130 finds after 1 year.