vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For the Guys...

Default For the Guys...

It might be best to keep your 12:00 shadows while camping..

Camper Sues Aftershave Maker After Igniting

Man Suffered Burns Over 30 Percent Of Body

POSTED: 10:27 pm EDT September 12, 2007

A Milwaukee man suffered serious burns during a camping trip and is suing the company that makes his aftershave, reported WISN-TV in Milwaukee.

Federal court records filed this week show that Charles Lewitzke, 81, was at the Arrowhead Campground in the Wisconsin Dells with his kids and grandchildren in 2004. He washed and shaved in a bathroom and afterward applied Brut aftershave on his neck and face. He also used an aerosol deodorant.

Documents said that after grooming, he walked to a fire pit to cook breakfast. When he was starting the fire, the body parts that had Brut on them ignited, seriously burning 30 percent of his body. The second- and third-degree burns needed skin grafts in some areas.

Lewitzke is suing Brut's manufacturers and the retailer where he brought the two products, Wal-Mart, for damages.

Legal expert Jeanine Geske said the case was an interesting one.

"At first blush this seems like it's not going anywhere but it may have some appeal," Geske said.

The Brut products do say they're flammable and shouldn't be used while smoking or near a fire, but Lewitzke's lawyer argued that doesn't suffice because Lewitzke didn't actually use the products by the fire.

"They're arguing they did not say, 'After you put it on you remain flammable for a period of time,'" Geske said.

Geske admits that Lewitzke does have a point, but she predicts the defendants will say the argument is a stretch.

"The company will fight hard to say, 'Look that's a sufficient way to say, that should tell you not to be around a flame while you still have the product evaporating off your body," Geske said.

The suit is requesting an unspecified amount of damages.
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Somehow, I don't believe this guy's story. Any alcohol in the aftershave would have evaporated LONG before he got to the fire.

What probably happened, is that he got doused by some of the flammable liquid he was using to start the fire.

well #1 I don't shave while camping (it's my excuse not to, just ask Mediwooki) #2 I don't like aftershave anyways... #3 I concur with bruce, the stuff evaporates, he's probably just some guy from MA ( ) that doesn't know how to tend a fire properly and set himself onfire and is tryin to find someone to point the finger at so he doesn't look stupid...

All in all, that's one heck of a story, it's hard to find that kind of entertainment while camping... oooh look there's a moose, oooh and a loon! oh wow!! some moron that stepped in his fire pit is running to the lake!!

and who would use that stuff while camping anyways??? I think natural body odor is one of the highlights of camping!!! (just ask Mediboooly)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I just tried to test the theory by using the aftershave and then first touching matches to my face and then trying to ignite it with a propane torch. It never once caught on fire, but I do have big burn welts from the matches and propane torch. Maybe if I knew what kind of deodorant he said he used, the combo might ignite. I would try the underarms next, but burnt hair smells really bad.

Default Hmmmmmmmmmm????

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I just tried to test the theory by using the aftershave and then first touching matches to my face and then trying to ignite it with a propane torch. It never once caught on fire, but I do have big burn welts from the matches and propane torch. Maybe if I knew what kind of deodorant he said he used, the combo might ignite. I would try the underarms next, but burnt hair smells really bad.
    You Funny
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    well #1 I don't shave while camping (it's my excuse not to, just ask Mediwooki) #2 I don't like aftershave anyways... #3 I concur with bruce, the stuff evaporates, he's probably just some guy from MA ( ) that doesn't know how to tend a fire properly and set himself onfire and is tryin to find someone to point the finger at so he doesn't look stupid...

All in all, that's one heck of a story, it's hard to find that kind of entertainment while camping... oooh look there's a moose, oooh and a loon! oh wow!! some moron that stepped in his fire pit is running to the lake!!

and who would use that stuff while camping anyways??? I think natural body odor is one of the highlights of camping!!! (just ask Mediboooly)
    So how is St.Stef anyways? (He'll never hear the shot)

Ya I agree on why in the hell he's shaving on a camping trip. And more why does he find the need to put on aftershave! Deserves to burn up I say.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Ya I agree on why in the hell he's shaving on a camping trip.
    I can't answer that. I haven't shaved in 16 years! LOL!

You know that this didn't happen in Maine. Put some stink-pretty on in the Maine woods and the bugs will be all over you before you can get near the fire!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I can't answer that. I haven't shaved in 16 years! LOL!
    you sure it's only been 16?? I think you have some nosehairs older than me bruce...

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    You know that this didn't happen in Maine. Put some stink-pretty on in the Maine woods and the bugs will be all over you before you can get near the fire!
    That and the girl scouts would make fun of him before puttin the boots to em and takin his wallet.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Somebody call Mythbusters...they will decide this one in a hurry. I think its busted though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    you sure it's only been 16?? I think you have some nosehairs older than me bruce...
    Hiram, every bit of me is older than you and Mediwookie combined! LOL!

They say that wine and cheese get better with age, but I'm pure beef - if you get my drift...