vb:literal>

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Camping at Wheelbarrow Pitch

Hybrid View

Default Camping at Wheelbarrow Pitch

It is October again and Hiram, Stef, Tink and I are planning what we hope to be a yearly event to Wheelbarrow pitch. This is a camping area located off the Golden Road 13 miles out of Millinocket. We are looking at the weekend of October 5 and 7 with the possibility of leaving Friday afternoon. You will need a vehicle with some ground clearance to get into this place.

I was thinking of making this an even and calling it the “Last Dash Camping Trip”. If we can get enough people interested I will make this an event.

Here are our plans for the weekend for caches we would like to do, Omaha Beach, The Big Victory at Little Omaha, Debsconeag Ice Caves, Postcard From The Mountain, Sticks and Stones, Havin’ Abol, Pitman Mt. There may be more that we can add to the list.

Please let’s hear from anyone else that is interested.

Here are the directions on how to get there from Golden Road.

The entrance to the road off Golden road is at N 45* 46.618 W 068* 53.479

At N 45*46.160 W 068* 56.022 TURN RIGHT going straight will take you to Omaha Beach.

At N 45* 46.619 W 068* 56.944, you will be at Little Omaha Beach, go right and continue onwards. You will pass a boat launch. Right after the boat launch there will be a left turn with a sign for Wheelbarrow Pitch.
    Blazing Troll

Cool I'd be there except for two things.

One is I will be up there this weekend camping. Not that I wouldn't go again. And second we are on vacation to Vermont that week. Maybe one of these years it will work out so I'll be around when everyone goes together up there.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    One is I will be up there this weekend camping. Not that I wouldn't go again. And second we are on vacation to Vermont that week. Maybe one of these years it will work out so I'll be around when everyone goes together up there.
    I see how it is... you just don't want to hang out with us...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Heidi and I are planning on going to Vermont this weekend as well . . . who knows maybe we'll run over . . . I mean into . . . each other.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default So Jake

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Heidi and I are planning on going to Vermont this weekend as well . . . who knows maybe we'll run over . . . I mean into . . . each other.
    What part of Vt are you going to?
    Happy Trails!

What part of Vt are you going to?

Well I'm not sure yet . . . Plymouth will most likely be on our list of places to see since we really liked visiting Calvin Coolidge's hometown on our last visit several years back . . . other than that I'm not sure.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Sounds like a fun trip.....but......plans were made a while ago for this weekend. Friends are coming from Seattle WA for leaf peeping and when they leave I was planning shooting to Southern Maine to support GC15391 - weekend Geocaching event which Hawk Chucker started a thread on and published a bit ago.

Francis Family and I did a couple of those mentioned caches when Amara was about 5 weeks old this summer. I think there has been at least one new one published in the area recently. If you folks go have a super time! I'll be thinking of you.

I would defiantely join this adventure- so far no plans for that weekend...so I will keep it open and watch for exact plans.

We were up there the beginning of August and it was one of the best trips I have taken- I would go back in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by cape ann carol View Post
    I would defiantely join this adventure- so far no plans for that weekend...so I will keep it open and watch for exact plans.

We were up there the beginning of August and it was one of the best trips I have taken- I would go back in a heartbeat.
    Carol last time we went we had a small group and we had a great time. The location is awesome. Keep us posted if you are going. We are going to try and head up on Friday afternoon sometime. The directions I posted are right on the money so if you can not make it Friday then just follow the directions. If anyone wants to come in a car we can make arrangements to shuttle people in and out just let us know.

Tink and I will stay until Sunday evening and then we have to head back. I do not have Columbus Day off. I don't know if Aaron is staying until Monday.
    Blazing Troll

Rick-
    If there are some of you going- then I plan to come up- I talked Larry into coming with me so I cant wait. The ice caves a really cool- Im glad there will be a few of us to go over there. I will use your directions - I got into Omaha beach- but Im a bit confused on Wheelbarrow pitch, and unfortunately my computer is on the blink - so I dont have my mapsets to put in the coords and seee where it is...but I will figure it out by next week.
    I assume the caves will be explored on saturday? does anyone need a boat- I can carry a couple with me no problem.
    I dont have monday off either- But I think I will leave Gloucester by 130 fri- and hope to get there before dark.
    I didnt want to leave there in August, its an awesome area!

Carol