vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual Caches

Default Virtual Caches

The recent loss of 10 of Maine's 38 virtual caches prompted me to think about virts. Of those 38, one was never logged - it was approved by mistake and archived the same day. 14 of Maine's virts are now archived, never to return, leaving 24 available.

So, the question is - what are you favorite virtuals, Maine or otherwise?

The hardest virt I ever did was in DC, Trev's "Freedom" Cache (GC39A9) by Trevelyan's R&R and Guy Nelson (3.5/1). Lee, Myself, and one of Lee's sons were hours trying to get the answers for that cache. We read everything we could at least once, asked the attendants, looked up down and over, took pictures, and were about ready to log a DNF when I decided to go back to the posted coordinates and pretend I had never been there before. And there, right in front of me - was the answer! I'm sure some people have done this cache and had no problem, but we had to work for this find.

As far as Maine virts, I'd have to say Watch your step... (GC98BA) by Fusto (3/3) is a favorite. And Lee and I liked Poor Old Bet.... (GCH1VN) by BostonTerrier (1/1) for the story.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I've really enjoyed virtuals and am sad to see a bunch of these virtuals be lost forever . . . not to mention GC.com's decision to no longer allow virtuals to be created or adopted. I do however understand the reasoning behind the decision . . . but I truly have been to some great virtual caches that were enjoyable.

I guess the one that stands out in my mind was Gravity Outlaw in Lincolnville -- very unexpected and very impressive.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I likes Gravity Outlaw too!

Don't forget about Waymarking!

www.waymarking.com

I don't have a clue what a virtual is so have no opinions

i have enjoyed the virtuals i have done.

gravity outlaw was pretty awesome. i think i walked around it at least a dozen times!

i liked halfway between the equator and the north pole, because of the people i was with and the laughs we had doing it. it was such a fun day.

i always enjoyed reading the logs for stonington international airport!

i guess my favorites are a tie between the absolutely gorgeous view at scenic sorrento and poor old bet...

it's sad that some of these are gone now.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    A virtual cache is a cache where there is no physical container with a log book . . . here in Maine these caches have tended to bring you to interesting places where a cache might not be allowed or may be easily found by muggles. To get credit for the "find" most of them typically ask you to take a picture of yourself with the item (i.e. stone marker, large rock, house, etc.) or send them info from the site to confirm the find (i.e. a date of birth, person's middle initial, etc.)

From what I gather the reason gc.com stopped this category of caches was due to the fact that some folks were going a little hog-wild with these caches and placing them on all kinds of things (i.e. number on a telephone pole, house number, etc.) or taking the lazy route of a virtual cache when a real cache would have worked out fine . . . which is too bad since I feel as though they really had a place and purpose when used properly.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I'm not sure anyone will buy this, but you could argue that GC.com "elevated" the virtual cache by giving them their own website! Waymarking.com is owned by Groundspeak and created specially for virtuals. Maybe we should put all virtuals from the past on Waymarking? How about a new catagory, "Historic Maine Virtuals".

So why has Maine lost 10 virtuals? Wouldn't anybody adopt them? I adopted two and then "gave" one to Mainiac and Cameooooo talked me out of the other. I guess my favorites so far are the one I gave Cameooooo and Gravity Outlaw. It was getting dark when I did the latter and I think I ran around that rock 50 times before I found the plaque!
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Here are the 3 closest virts to you. Try one out!

About 12 miles: A Maine Postcard (GCC060) by Hot Wheels (1/1)
    About 15 miles: Maine Presidents (GCGW9V) by Maine Genealogist (1/1)
    About 17 miles: The Rock (GC6BB5) by SamDeG (2/5)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by kayaking loon View Post
    So why has Maine lost 10 virtuals? Wouldn't anybody adopt them? I adopted two and then "gave" one to Mainiac and Cameooooo talked me out of the other. I guess my favorites so far are the one I gave Cameooooo and Gravity Outlaw. It was getting dark when I did the latter and I think I ran around that rock 50 times before I found the plaque!
    GC.com will not allow the adoption of virtuals, it's all part of their plan to phase them out.

Gravity Outlaw was a fun one for me, too - because I tried to take a shortcut and ended up bushwhacking way to far, and then I didn't even realize it was a virt and stood there in the bushes looking for a container until I looked up and then I remembered it was a virt.

The Owner of Gravity Outlaw, Quietbert, is perhaps Maine's oldest cache hider. IIRC, he should be into his 80's now.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!