vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which cache should I log?

Hybrid View

Question Which cache should I log?

Okay, here's the story. Out on a cache run this evening....and went to find a 101 Dalmatian cache. When I got there, I found a card cache in it's place. The logbook and container were intact and placed in what I assume was the same location as the puppy. So, do I log the card or the puppy? I did not find the puppy container, so I'm leaning toward logging the card, however, I did not find the card in it's intended hiding spot...actually about two miles away.

To make it more interesting, it appears it has been like this for over a month and the card cache was logged today with no mention of anything odd, so maybe the two containers got switched?!?!?!

Any suggestions?

Have you or anyone else e-mailed the owner(s) of these two caches to let them know about the mix-up? I guess if it was me I would e-mail them to let them know . . . it's possible that if they own both caches (and I'm not sure if this is the case or not) they might have mixed the two containers up accidentally . . . maybe? possibly?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

You log what you found, the card. Then you notify both owners so they can check on them and take the appropriate action.

I'm not sure I would have noticed the difference!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Two different owners, TRF on the puppy and hide from the kids on the card. To be honest, I got home so late last night, I didn't even log my finds, but I did have this on my mind and was curious what I should do....hence my post. I will surely email both and let them know what I found, well, or didn't find... he he heh

In looking at the logs it appears that they have been reversed as far back as June. A few cachers had noted the fact in their logs.

Just goes to show that a lot of cachers "just sign and run without reading".

A house is not a home without a cat.

Sabby, thanks for checking in to that....

I'm amazed really. It was so obvious. I wish I had more time to try and find the Seven of Hearts in it's correct location...that would have helped to piece things together.

Default good catch...

Glad to see you were enough awake at that time of day to notice. After a long day they all tend to look alike.......
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

On a similar note, (sort of), what does anyone do when you find a cache that you believe isn't exactly hidden as you believe it was intended? Sometimes I have found one pretty much in the open but with signs that it had been covered. Also, the weekend of the campground bashe in Sebago, I found one near a canal that was inside a drilled hole in a stump. It fell out when I moved the stump. There was a stick next to it that I am sure was intended as a plug as it was hand made and fit perfectly. I hate to put things back as I think they should be when in fact they were meant to be easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    On a similar note, (sort of), what does anyone do when you find a cache that you believe isn't exactly hidden as you believe it was intended?
    Sometimes looking at the hint will give you a clue. The rating may help to, if it's a 1 or a 1.5 hide, it should be visible from an easy angle. When all else fails, email the owner and explain how you hid it and they can repair it if needed.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    On a similar note, (sort of), what does anyone do when you find a cache that you believe isn't exactly hidden as you believe it was intended? Sometimes I have found one pretty much in the open but with signs that it had been covered. Also, the weekend of the campground bashe in Sebago, I found one near a canal that was inside a drilled hole in a stump. It fell out when I moved the stump. There was a stick next to it that I am sure was intended as a plug as it was hand made and fit perfectly. I hate to put things back as I think they should be when in fact they were meant to be easy to find.
    I didn't do that cache - but I heard about it. You were correct - the stick was supposed to cover the cache. Sorry you didn't make it to the event...you were so close.