Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Too Many Choices!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Casco, Maine
    Posts
    62

    Default Too Many Choices!

    I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to get the kids and I for our 'caching adventures. We've never done this before and 2 kids will be using the unit so we need something DURABLE and simple. I'd like to have a compass and mapping capabilities as well as waterproof with a quadrahelix antenna. And I want it all for CHEAP! What you do you think of the Garmin GPS 72?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to get the kids and I for our 'caching adventures. We've never done this before and 2 kids will be using the unit so we need something DURABLE and simple. I'd like to have a compass and mapping capabilities as well as waterproof with a quadrahelix antenna. And I want it all for CHEAP! What you do you think of the Garmin GPS 72?
    Well, the Garmin 72 doesn't have a quadrahelix antenna, but I have had a 72 for about 3 or 4 years, and I've done just about everything to it except treat it nicely... I've jumped into rivers after it (and once after it fell off of a train bridge) dropped it off mt. sides, one time I even lost it in the winter time, it must've fallen out of my jeep as I was getting out, but it was missing for about four weeks, and I found it in the snowbank in front of my apartment (and this was after a few snow storms and the parking lot was plowed about 3 or 4 times...) and it still works great! (I even bout a 76cs a few months ago, and I prefer the 72 over the 76)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Well, the Garmin 72 doesn't have a quadrahelix antenna, but I have had a 72 for about 3 or 4 years, and I've done just about everything to it except treat it nicely... I've jumped into rivers after it (and once after it fell off of a train bridge) dropped it off mt. sides, one time I even lost it in the winter time, it must've fallen out of my jeep as I was getting out, but it was missing for about four weeks, and I found it in the snowbank in front of my apartment (and this was after a few snow storms and the parking lot was plowed about 3 or 4 times...) and it still works great! (I even bout a 76cs a few months ago, and I prefer the 72 over the 76)
    I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . but you've gotta admit that this testimony alone says something about Garmins and their durability . . . it also says something about Hiram being a klutz, we won't go there.

    Incidentally, not to derail this topic as we always do ol' Hiram ol' buddy, but how did the beer . . . I mean deer stalking go last week at deer camp . . . and what are you guys up to this weekend? Looks like after tomorrow I can finally say our bedroom is finished . . . and then it's on to the next house project.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . but you've gotta admit that this testimony alone says something about Garmins and their durability . . . it also says something about Hiram being a klutz, we won't go there.

    Incidentally, not to derail this topic as we always do ol' Hiram ol' buddy, but how did the beer . . . I mean deer stalking go last week at deer camp . . . and what are you guys up to this weekend? Looks like after tomorrow I can finally say our bedroom is finished . . . and then it's on to the next house project.
    THREAD HIJACKER!!!!! (I'll send you a pm... i don't want to be blamed for this one...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    stonington me
    Posts
    784

    Default

    [quote=firefighterjake;36079]I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . .
    /quote] i love my magellan, too, even if it's obsolete! walmart has magellan explorist 500s for 199$. it's on my wish list!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    [QUOTE=becket;36091]
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . .
    /quote] i love my magellan, too, even if it's obsolete! walmart has magellan explorist 500s for 199$. it's on my wish list!
    Sheesh! All the time we've known you - haven't we convinced you to buy a Garmin 60csx YET???

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Norway, Maine
    Posts
    262

    Default

    since I've been unemployed for 6 months, the only one I could afford was a Garmin Etrex and it's done fine for me so far.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,575

    Talking Go Garmin!!

    There is my shameless plug for Garmin. BTW are you my mom?
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    since I've been unemployed for 6 months, the only one I could afford was a Garmin Etrex and it's done fine for me so far.
    This is the unit I bought my adult daughter for her birthday over a year ago - she still loves it to this day. To start out this would work and you will probably want to upgrade yourself later. This would be a less expensive unit for the little ones to use alone after you have time to research one with more features and save for it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    My next investment will be the new Garmin HCX as I like the smallness of my ole Vista and with the added benefit of the new extra sensitivity chip and the memory it will be my ideal gps.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •