vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Too Many Choices!

Default Too Many Choices!

I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to get the kids and I for our 'caching adventures. We've never done this before and 2 kids will be using the unit so we need something DURABLE and simple. I'd like to have a compass and mapping capabilities as well as waterproof with a quadrahelix antenna. And I want it all for CHEAP! What you do you think of the Garmin GPS 72?

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    I'm trying to decide what GPS unit to get the kids and I for our 'caching adventures. We've never done this before and 2 kids will be using the unit so we need something DURABLE and simple. I'd like to have a compass and mapping capabilities as well as waterproof with a quadrahelix antenna. And I want it all for CHEAP! What you do you think of the Garmin GPS 72?
    Well, the Garmin 72 doesn't have a quadrahelix antenna, but I have had a 72 for about 3 or 4 years, and I've done just about everything to it except treat it nicely... I've jumped into rivers after it (and once after it fell off of a train bridge) dropped it off mt. sides, one time I even lost it in the winter time, it must've fallen out of my jeep as I was getting out, but it was missing for about four weeks, and I found it in the snowbank in front of my apartment (and this was after a few snow storms and the parking lot was plowed about 3 or 4 times...) and it still works great! (I even bout a 76cs a few months ago, and I prefer the 72 over the 76)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Well, the Garmin 72 doesn't have a quadrahelix antenna, but I have had a 72 for about 3 or 4 years, and I've done just about everything to it except treat it nicely... I've jumped into rivers after it (and once after it fell off of a train bridge) dropped it off mt. sides, one time I even lost it in the winter time, it must've fallen out of my jeep as I was getting out, but it was missing for about four weeks, and I found it in the snowbank in front of my apartment (and this was after a few snow storms and the parking lot was plowed about 3 or 4 times...) and it still works great! (I even bout a 76cs a few months ago, and I prefer the 72 over the 76)
    I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . but you've gotta admit that this testimony alone says something about Garmins and their durability . . . it also says something about Hiram being a klutz, we won't go there.

Incidentally, not to derail this topic as we always do ol' Hiram ol' buddy, but how did the beer . . . I mean deer stalking go last week at deer camp . . . and what are you guys up to this weekend? Looks like after tomorrow I can finally say our bedroom is finished . . . and then it's on to the next house project.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . but you've gotta admit that this testimony alone says something about Garmins and their durability . . . it also says something about Hiram being a klutz, we won't go there.

Incidentally, not to derail this topic as we always do ol' Hiram ol' buddy, but how did the beer . . . I mean deer stalking go last week at deer camp . . . and what are you guys up to this weekend? Looks like after tomorrow I can finally say our bedroom is finished . . . and then it's on to the next house project.
    THREAD HIJACKER!!!!! (I'll send you a pm... i don't want to be blamed for this one...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

since I've been unemployed for 6 months, the only one I could afford was a Garmin Etrex and it's done fine for me so far.

Talking Go Garmin!!

There is my shameless plug for Garmin. BTW are you my mom?
    Happy Trails!

[quote=firefighterjake;36079]I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . .
    /quote] i love my magellan, too, even if it's obsolete! walmart has magellan explorist 500s for 199$. it's on my wish list!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

[QUOTE=becket;36091]
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I'm an unabashed Magellan Lover (and proud to be one) . . . .
    /quote] i love my magellan, too, even if it's obsolete! walmart has magellan explorist 500s for 199$. it's on my wish list!
    Sheesh! All the time we've known you - haven't we convinced you to buy a Garmin 60csx YET???

My next investment will be the new Garmin HCX as I like the smallness of my ole Vista and with the added benefit of the new extra sensitivity chip and the memory it will be my ideal gps.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    My next investment will be the new Garmin HCX as I like the smallness of my ole Vista and with the added benefit of the new extra sensitivity chip and the memory it will be my ideal gps.
    Like Hiram, you feel the need for one of those waterproof GPSr's, Too?