vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cache Journaling

Default Cache Journaling

Hi! Does anyone keep their OWN Geocaching journal/scrapbook? I'm thinking of having my kids each keep a journal to put a simple map of the cache with the town and date as well as 1-2 photos, journaling about the hike or walk, and maybe even a drawing of something they see along the way. If you keep a journal, could you post a photo? description?

Not a true journal, but I have a book, no two books of caches placed and found. If Geocaching.Com ever looses its data I am covered!

It's a great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    Hi! Does anyone keep their OWN Geocaching journal/scrapbook? I'm thinking of having my kids each keep a journal to put a simple map of the cache with the town and date as well as 1-2 photos, journaling about the hike or walk, and maybe even a drawing of something they see along the way. If you keep a journal, could you post a photo? description?
    I've never kept a journal . . . but from geocaching with Hiram I can tell you more than a few tall tales.

Actually this is a great idea . . . I always try to jot down a few notes about my geocaching experience. When you fill out the on-line logs after finding the cache I always feel as though it makes the experience more meaningful for both the seeker and the hider if you can relate your experience, show a pic, etc. I mean to say I love it when someone relates how much they liked or disliked the cache, problems with the cache, something that happened to them on the way in (some time look up my Win or Lose cache and read Upsalquitch's experience . . . this single entry alone still makes me laugh every time I read it) -- to me this is what makes placing caches so rewarding -- reading about the cacher's experiences.

Of course, some caches are much more memorable than others . . . I mean after doing your 25th GRC in a row you might not have a lot to say about the cache or location (although I will readily admit some folks like Cache Maine and others try to place their GRCs that they have placed in the past in some scenic areas) . . . and then there are caches that have quite a story . . . but not in a good way . . . such as a certain cache in the Ellsworth Area that shall remain nameless . . . however, even then it was quite the experience for this geocacher and one I will not soon forget.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Lee has a notebook she writes some details down in, but it's not as extensive as a journal. She does have a scrapbook (maybe two?) now dedicated to caching which is nice. Some pages are for a single cache while others cover areas, styles or caching friends. We met a few other cachers at the Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding 3 (GC10AD9) by WhereRWe? & RULOST2? (1/1) event who had scrapbooks too. Either way - a journal or scrapbook is a nice idea!

If you do a cache with a good story you should consider adding it to the articles section of this web site!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    We met a few other cachers at the Winslow Winter Weekend Waypoint Warrior Wingding 3 (GC10AD9) by WhereRWe? & RULOST2? (1/1) event who had scrapbooks too.
    And I hope everyone is looking forward to WWWWWW4 - late February!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    oh yeah, I go there and practice at least once or twice a week...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    They may need to bring on a room...as this group grows.

Bringing the thread back - a journal is a wonderful idea. I believe Cache Maine has a scrap book as well. With children journaling would be a wonderful activity.

I letterbox too and this is more the journal approach to your discoveries. Since some of the Geocaches are hybrid (letterboxes too) you might want to get on a letterboxing site and read up about them too. If you are doing a hybrid, you will want to bring a stamp with you. With kids they would be disappointed if they couldn't stamp the book.

I DO think that I'll have the kids keep journals. As homeschoolers it's nice to combine learning (i.e. writing, drawing, labeling, maps, photos, direction science) with field activities. They won't even know! LOL

And I do hope to make/buy a stamp and do some letterboxing as well. There are over 50 letterboxes without 5-10 miles of it! Can you imagine? That doesn't seem to be as many caches, but that's OK. We travel!

WhereRWe? - Will the WWWWW4 be posted somewhere on here as a reminder?

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    WhereRWe? - Will the WWWWW4 be posted somewhere on here as a reminder?
    Most New England events are posted on the home page of this site. But yes, we'll bring the subject to the forums as February approaches. and keep in mind, since we're planning a trip to Europe, we'll be soliciting TB's that want to get a long ride...