Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Swag question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Back in Maine...again
    Posts
    14

    Default Swag question

    I usually put little toys in caches as swag, but I was mentioning to a friend that I had started picking up mini first aid kits and wanted to get a couple of cheap orange vests (it is hunting season after all) to leave. He suggested getting the little handwarmers that hunters sometimes bring with them (the ones that you squeeze to activate). I had thought of it too, but I wasn't sure how they would hold up in extreme temperatures. I'm afraid they would either break or no longer activate. Does anyone know? If they would hold up, I would think that might be a nice thing to find if you are getting a bit chilly hunting. Thanks.
    ~ynomrah~

    The opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death. ~ Elie Wiesel

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    I'm not sure what does it, cold weather or just age, but they will fail after a while. I have seen them in caches that no longer function.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I'm not sure what does it, cold weather or just age, but they will fail after a while. I have seen them in caches that no longer function.
    Do you know if the hand warmers failed or just activated because they were smooshed into a cache? They should not be affected by cold weather or age because the energy is chemically stored.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Do you know if the hand warmers failed or just activated because they were smooshed into a cache? They should not be affected by cold weather or age because the energy is chemically stored.
    I remember finding some that were stored in my father's closet that had failed, but anything is possible. So, I did some extensive research (Ok, I just googled and read the summaries of the first page), and "Six year shelf life" was mentioned. So, they can apparently fail in time, and one could assume that extreme heat, cold, or other factors could affect that predicted shelf life.

    Now, if you put two sets of hand warmers into an ammo box, and activate one of them, maybe the activated ones would keep the unactivated ones warm enough to maintain that shelf life during the Winter.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I remember finding some that were stored in my father's closet that had failed, but anything is possible. So, I did some extensive research (Ok, I just googled and read the summaries of the first page), and "Six year shelf life" was mentioned. So, they can apparently fail in time, and one could assume that extreme heat, cold, or other factors could affect that predicted shelf life.

    Now, if you put two sets of hand warmers into an ammo box, and activate one of them, maybe the activated ones would keep the unactivated ones warm enough to maintain that shelf life during the Winter.
    this could be a new geocaching quiz... what's the Half-Life of a pocket hand warmer, the winner gets a new garage door with a toyota celica!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fantasiynomrah View Post
    I usually put little toys in caches as swag, but I was mentioning to a friend that I had started picking up mini first aid kits and wanted to get a couple of cheap orange vests (it is hunting season after all) to leave. He suggested getting the little handwarmers that hunters sometimes bring with them (the ones that you squeeze to activate). I had thought of it too, but I wasn't sure how they would hold up in extreme temperatures. I'm afraid they would either break or no longer activate. Does anyone know? If they would hold up, I would think that might be a nice thing to find if you are getting a bit chilly hunting. Thanks.
    First off welcome to geocachingmaine.org Fantasiynormrah (wow that's quite the mouthful . . . my fingers were falling all over each other attempting to spell out your name.) I immediately recognized you from some of my caches that you found recently.

    In answer to your question, first aid kits and vests are great ideas . . . items that rely on chemicals to generate heat (such as hand warmers) or light (like glow sticks) for some reason tend to not work so well after being exposed to the cold for a few months and unfortunately become "geo junk" after a fashion even though they are great ideas for events (or so I'm told since I'm not much of a social geo event butterfly. )

    Again, welcome.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Welcome fantasiynomrah! I agree with Jake - anything chemical or scented not a good idea. I have seen everything from scented candles to matches. Some folks may think that a knife or matches are a good survival tool but we need to think children safety. First Aid kits and vets are great. Have found a bug helmet too and it was greatly needed. The bug wipes in season good too.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Back in Maine...again
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Hey, thanks for the info. I had a feeling the handwarmers would be a no-go, but hey, worth a shot.

    And for those who don't want to type out my whole geoname (I really don't want to either )...ynomrah works just fine.
    ~ynomrah~

    The opposite of life is not death, but indifference between life and death. ~ Elie Wiesel

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,972

    Default Low Tide at Glen Cove

    I found this cache today at lunchtime. In it I pulled out a fresh can of Smoked Kippers. Hmmmm....Who did I think of? HIRAM!!

    Great idea on the vests. Welcome ynomrah
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I found this cache today at lunchtime. In it I pulled out a fresh can of Smoked Kippers. Hmmmm....Who did I think of? HIRAM!!

    Great idea on the vests. Welcome ynomrah
    Hmmm... Kipper swag...

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for caching...



    (BTW Gary... Did you find the note that I left on your cachemobile up in bangor last week???)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •