vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: archived caches

Hybrid View

Default archived caches

i just found out that aa1yb is archiving all his (her?) caches. aa1yb said that none of the physical caches have been removed and is very willing to let them all be adopted. please let me know if there is any interest. these are some of my favorite caches and i would hate to have them disappear. i will gladly adopt "stonington international airport" and could do other virtual ones if they can be adopted. i will check with gpsfun. some of aa1yb's caches had already been archived, but most have been active until today. (i'll also try to adopt "scenic sorrento", as i absolutely loved this virtual cache) i will email aa1yb if anyone lets me know they are interested, or you can if you want to adopt some of the caches. thanks!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

I sure hope we can save some of these...wow, what a shock!

I have received a couple of messages on this so I will paste part of my reply to one Maine cacher here so everyone can be on the same page.

If a physical cache is still in place and there is someone who wants
    to adopt it, I will be happy to unarchive it. At that point, aa1yb
    can do the following:
    ~~~~~~~~~
    To have another geocacher adopt your cache, please go to this web
    page: www.geocaching.com/adopt

Once there, enter the waypoint number (GC?????) of the cache and the
    geocaching account name of the person you want to take ownership. The
    system will generate an e-mail to the prospective new owner, and once
    that person clicks on the acceptance link the ownership transfer is
    complete.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Physical caches that are no longer there are not eligible to be
    unarchived unless the cache owner replaces it and requests it to be
    unarchived. If that is done, the process described above can be
    initiated.

Virtual caches that have been archived may not be unarchived. Virtual
    caches that are still active cannot be transferred to a different
    owner - they are grandfathered and can remain as-is so long as the
    owner continues to maintain them. (Virtual cache maintenance
    requirements are spelled out in the guidelines.)
    Hope this helps!

-Brad

Looks like someone needs to place a new cache on map 56. The virtual tour of the north maine woods 1-7 have all been archived and you can't adopt a virtual. The DeLorme's challange will be more of a challange without John's Bridge in play

Amen Andy but this is going to be difficult. No more virtuals, they are not adoptable and Maine Dept of Conservation has banned Geocaches......between a rock and a hard place............Earthcache maybe?!?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Amen Andy but this is going to be difficult. No more virtuals, they are not adoptable and Maine Dept of Conservation has banned Geocaches......between a rock and a hard place............Earthcache maybe?!?
    They banned them?? I didn't hear about this... are they banned on all DoC lands?? (even public reserved lands??)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

This is a quote from the log of their Alagash Stash cache

" March 22, 2002 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=247201>aa1yb (29 found)
    The State of Maine Department of Conservation has decided to not allow Geocaching in and around the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. Thus Allagash stashes 1 and 2 are being removed. I have been told that the Department of Conservation feels that these caches will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway. Thus I infer from this that no Geocaches will be allowed in these areas.
    The email informing me of this came from tim.hall@state.me.us
    [view this log on a separate page]"

There was an Alagash Stash II physical cache as well near John's Bridge - that also got archived at the same time - for the same reason it sounds.

This is a quote from the log of their Alagash Stash cache

The State of Maine Department of Conservation has decided to not allow Geocaching in and around the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. Thus Allagash stashes 1 and 2 are being removed. I have been told that the Department of Conservation feels that these caches will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway. Thus I infer from this that no Geocaches will be allowed in these areas.
    Does anyone know if this is a documented policy or of any other reference beyond the e-mail mentioned in the log?

Ok, so it is just for the Allagash that they say no caches, or are there other areas that they have said no caches? (It's understandable for no caches in the allagash because they're pretty uptight about that area, which is a whooooole different thread...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway.
    Sheesh! Don't get me started! LOL!

They want to preserve the land "for the people", but they don't want you on it!

Logic: If people enter a wilderness, it's no longer a wilderness.