Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: archived caches

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Remember Bruce those were not my words! All I know is what I have read on cache pages. And having just placed an Earthcache and jumped through some very interesting hoops with DOT, I have no idea why this decision was made by someone in Augusta, I presume.

    It is clear to me, DOT wants NO physical cache placements near or on bridges from the conversations I had with several folks in that department. I was working to meet Earthcache requirements (you must document permission for the cache by name/postion and contact information) for the Formation near the new Penobscot Narrows Bridge.

    I agree with Bruce about "preserve the land for the people, but they don't want you on it!".........there are certainly worse activities happening in them thar woods than Geocaching! Their logic makes no sense.

    What blew me away this weekend is on the roads we traveled (and paid a fee), the lack of Maine vehicles - oh there were a few - but there were more from out of State. How could the folks owning the gate complain? -- $5 per head unless you are a Senior or under I think it was 12....... And should something happen they have everything on you by License plate number. I didn't even give them my name and they called me by name. Even in them thar woods big brother or someone is watching!

    It's just to bad the virtual caches were seemingly hastily archived. I am sure there were a lot of people that would have helped being given an opportunity. On the other side of the coin - there may be circumstances beyond the cache owners control which made them feel this was necessary.

    A loss, for sure, for the entire Geocaching community and others who may join us in the future.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Don't get me started! LOL!

    They want to preserve the land "for the people", but they don't want you on it!

    Logic: If people enter a wilderness, it's no longer a wilderness.
    All the more reason to restore Boston...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    This is a quote from the log of their Alagash Stash cache

    " March 22, 2002 by <A style="TEXT-DECORATION: underline" name=247201>aa1yb (29 found)
    The State of Maine Department of Conservation has decided to not allow Geocaching in and around the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. Thus Allagash stashes 1 and 2 are being removed. I have been told that the Department of Conservation feels that these caches will create an increase of visitors to the areas where these are located and is contrary to the nature of the wilderness aspect of the Waterway. Thus I infer from this that no Geocaches will be allowed in these areas.
    The email informing me of this came from tim.hall@state.me.us
    [view this log on a separate page]"

    There was an Alagash Stash II physical cache as well near John's Bridge - that also got archived at the same time - for the same reason it sounds.
    This is just in regards to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. That is for you Brad (GPSfun) in particular. The DOC only wanted to have those 2 removed because of the sensitivity of that particular area in question.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    This is just in regards to the Allagash Wilderness Waterway. That is for you Brad (GPSfun) in particular. The DOC only wanted to have those 2 removed because of the sensitivity of that particular area in question.
    Haffy, is this documented anywhere or is it just word of mouth?

    -Brad

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    I certainly am not an expert on the bountries here, but, if in fact the Alagash Stash II cache was near John's Bridge as indicated and also near Northern Maine Woods Virtual #7 - that is a long way (as one road had been discontinued) beyond the sign which says you are leaving the Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Northern Maine Woods Virtual #5). I do not see the relevance one upon another in relationship and the "sensitivity of that particular area in question" as they are miles apart.

    Perhaps the cache owner just chose to archive them both together and one had no bearing upon another. I do think it would be prudent to verify the facts before placing another cache.

    GPSFun does have a daunting job to figure out what is correct and what is not. Brad, also, has to rely on the description and portrayal of the placement by the cache placer in doing his assesment of the placements. To try and mentally file (or even in a database stockpile) all the dos and don'ts in many states is an unbelievable job.......for a volunteer. I applaund him on his efforts.

    We are a great community and I am sure there will be a resolve to helping folks enjoy and Geocache in this area of the state soon.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gpsfun View Post
    Haffy, is this documented anywhere or is it just word of mouth?

    -Brad
    At the time the caches in question I do not believe this was any official sort of decision. But it was in the early states of caching, and I think whoever made the decision made so quickly and I have witnessed this cache owner archive other caches quickly when he was concerned that it might cause problems, which is not a bad thing.

    The online rules of the Allagash do not mention Geocaches specifically.

    The clause some governing bodies say Geocaches fall under is:

    3.6. LITTER/REMOVAL OF WASTE
    A. All refuse, with the exception of paper goods that are burned, must be removed from the Waterway.
    B. The discharging of wastes of any kind, including, but not limited to soaps and detergents, in the waters of the Allagash Wilderness Waterway is prohibited.

    Anyway, perhaps this is a good project for the site - to get an official decision on this, one way or the other.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    I certainly am not an expert on the bountries here, but, if in fact the Alagash Stash II cache was near John's Bridge as indicated and also near Northern Maine Woods Virtual #7 - that is a long way (as one road had been discontinued) beyond the sign which says you are leaving the Allagash Wilderness Waterway (Northern Maine Woods Virtual #5). I do not see the relevance one upon another in relationship and the "sensitivity of that particular area in question" as they are miles apart.

    If you look at the rules I posted in the last post, John's Bridge would fall into the AWW area.

    However, there are areas on Map 55 which would be outside of that defined area, but could still be in an area that may be off limits.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    What blew me away this weekend is on the roads we traveled (and paid a fee), the lack of Maine vehicles - oh there were a few - but there were more from out of State. How could the folks owning the gate complain? -- $5 per head unless you are a Senior or under I think it was 12....... And should something happen they have everything on you by License plate number. I didn't even give them my name and they called me by name. Even in them thar woods big brother or someone is watching!
    Sheesh, Beck! It's hunting season! Of course the woods are going to be full of people "from away". LOL! On Saturday they were probably complaining - as usual - about it being "Mainers only" day, and on Sunday, they were scouting for that BIG buck.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Hmmmm . . . looks like I won't be finishing the DeLorme Challenge.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh, Beck! It's hunting season! Of course the woods are going to be full of people "from away". LOL! On Saturday they were probably complaining - as usual - about it being "Mainers only" day, and on Sunday, they were scouting for that BIG buck.
    I'm Lois - daughter is Beck LOL! Oh yeah - they were scouting. And they should know they are our guests in the North country.......heee

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •