vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: archived caches

The ice caves on Allagash Lake are part of the "Unique Natural Areas" on the DeLorme's Atlas. If an earthcache was placed there, there would be nothing physical at the site. They can't argue that hordes of cachers will defile the area, it's hard to get to, and already publicly listed on the Atlas for people to visit.
    It certainly wouldn't be the 'drive-by' that the former virtual was, but it would serve as a map 55 cache.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    The ice caves on Allagash Lake are part of the "Unique Natural Areas" on the DeLorme's Atlas. If an earthcache was placed there, there would be nothing physical at the site...
    Good point, Sudonim.

I think the EarthCache program is exactly the kind of activity that is consistant with the directive that the voters demanded in the 1966 referendum that established the AWW. The ice caves are also a perfect fit for the EarthCache program.

Anyone up for a 24 mile round trip hike/boat expedition?

Update: This may be as little as an 8 mile round trip. Anyone up for that?
    Last edited by tat; 10-31-2007 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Found a shorter way in

is im fond of great pond up for adoption? i would love to adopt it but dont know the GC####?????its not listed anymore....thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yerpso2 View Post
    is im fond of great pond up for adoption? i would love to adopt it but dont know the GC####?????its not listed anymore....thanks

I'm Fond of Great Pond (GCGD3V) by AA1YB & N1NJB (2/3)

The cache has been archived, so you could freely place a new cache there. It is a worthy location. If you do, you may want to make sure the old cache has been removed.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Good point, Sudonim.

I think the EarthCache program is exactly the kind of activity that is consistant with the directive that the voters demanded in the 1966 referendum that established the AWW. The ice caves are also a perfect fit for the EarthCache program.

**Raises both hands!!**
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Good point, Sudonim.

Good points TAT and Sudonim - EarthCaches would do it - one thing to remember - to publish Earthcaches you need to reference who owns the land, a person and phone number of someone who gives you permission to publish the cache.

That might be an interesting loop to jump through in that area.

I have requested to adopt some of the caches because I really enjoyed some of them and because they are so important as examples of early caches in Maine. If anyone else wants to adopt, please let me or aa1yb know.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Good points TAT and Sudonim - EarthCaches would do it - one thing to remember - to publish Earthcaches you need to reference who owns the land, a person and phone number of someone who gives you permission to publish the cache.

That might be an interesting loop to jump through in that area.
    If the lands are open to the public and you don't put a physical cache on the land or mark/change the land in any way, why would you need to seek landowner permission? I could be traveling there to see the DeLorme's reference, or heard about the caves from a friend and would be free to go there. Isn't this just a different source of referral to a cool spot that's already open to the public?
    If it is written into the GC rules, than I understand, but is it posted somewhere?

Guideline #6 EarthCache sites developed on private and public land must have prior approval of the landowners before submission.

http://www.earthcache.org/ click on Submital Guidelines

I'm still not sure how visiting a spot to log an earthcache differs from any other visit to the same spot, but it IS in the rules, so I'll shush now