vb:literal>

Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin

Default 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin

This was discussed in chat tonight, and the earlier we start the better, if we want to.

So, simple question - Should there be a 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

YES! Although we skipped a year (right?) I think there should be one next year.

Missed chat - oh my, I am such a ditz!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    YES! Although we skipped a year (right?) I think there should be one next year.

Missed chat - oh my, I am such a ditz!
    Actually, we skipped 2006.

Yes - that was last year....

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    This was discussed in chat tonight, and the earlier we start the better, if we want to.

So, simple question - Should there be a 2008 Geocaching Maine Geocoin?
    This is a good example of the downfalls of having a chat room.
    Things get discussed in the chat room but the rest of the geocachers that are not in the chat room or have no desire to go to the chat room never know what gets discussed. This means a lot of things gets discussed but many people miss out on those things. This is one of the reasons I was against the chat room.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    This is a good example of the downfalls of having a chat room.
    Things get discussed in the chat room but the rest of the geocachers that are not in the chat room or have no desire to go to the chat room never know what gets discussed. This means a lot of things gets discussed but many people miss out on those things. This is one of the reasons I was against the chat room.
    That's why I posted here. Very little was discussed, in fact. Someone mentioned this years coin, and then someone asked if we wanted a 2008 coin. So I said, why not make a poll.. and someone suggested just asking. Does it really matter if it's chat or if we meet at a bar or at an event and talk unofficially about caching related things? I've missed out on a ton of events this year, and sure I have missed conversations about many caching topics. The chat room is a place for casual caching talk, just like most events and unorganized get-togethers.

Fortunately, for anyone that feels they missed out, I have logs of the conversation. Here is all that was mentioned about the coin:
    (Off topic posts have been removed and names have been changed to protect the innocent. If anyone wants a full transcript of the evening, let me know)

[20:31] <CacherThree> I have a question concerning out new 2007 Maine Geocoin.....
    [20:32] <CacherOne> ask away
    [20:32] <CacherThree> why is the Paul Bunyan not in color, and, why does it have Northern Maine inprinted
    [20:33] <CacherFive> they didn't want to offend other nationalities and colors
    [20:33] <CacherTwo> good questions
    [20:33] <CacherThree> What????
    [20:33] <CacherTwo> there was a lot of discussion on the site prior to minting the coin
    [20:33] <CacherThree> you have to be kidding
    [20:34] <CacherOne> I think that's the way it was decided
    [20:34] <CacherFive> yup
    [20:34] <CacherThree> Anyway, I like the coin overall....
    [20:34] <CacherOne> a lot of it was rushed. I think if we're going to have a 2008 coin, it should be started sooner
    [20:34] <CacherThree> I agree
    [20:35] <CacherThree> did we not have a 2006 coin??
    [20:35] <CacherTwo> I don't think it was rushed, in fact, I think it took too long.
    [20:35] <CacherOne> we missed 2006
    [20:35] <CacherThree> ok
    [20:35] <CacherTwo> the 2007 coin started as the 2006 coin
    [20:35] <CacherOne> yes, it took too long, then was ruished at the end
    [20:35] <CacherTwo> it just took that long
    [20:35] <CacherThree> I see
    [20:36] <CacherTwo> the best way to see what happened is to read the posts
    [20:36] <CacherThree> have you seen the Newfoundland Geocoin??
    [20:36] <CacherTwo> the whole coin design and every decision along the way was done in posts
    [20:36] <CacherTwo> nopw
    [20:36] <CacherTwo> nope
    [20:36] <CacherOne> nope
    [20:36] <CacherThree> very lovely
    [20:37] <CacherThree> polished nickel and beautiful pastel colors
    [20:37] <CacherTwo> do you think we should have a 2008 coin?
    [20:38] <CacherThree> Ghee, I am not sure
    [20:38] <CacherThree> what do you think
    [20:39] <CacherOne> I think the site should be asked
    [20:39] <CacherThree> yes
    [20:39] <CacherThree> I agree
    [20:39] <CacherOne> I don't think they are as popular now, everyone has them.
    [20:39] <CacherOne> but, they do promote the site to some degree.
    [20:39] <CacherTwo> but, you're right, everyone should get a chance to help decide
    [20:40] <CacherThree> yes, I believe in that...
    [20:40] <CacherOne> maybe i'll post a poll
    [20:40] <CacherThree> Good Idea
    [20:40] <CacherTwo> I think the biggest problem last time was that not everyone paid much attention along the way
    [20:41] <CacherTwo> it wasn
    [20:41] <CacherTwo> it wasn't as controversial as 2005
    [20:41] <CacherThree> At least this coin (2007) is trackable on geocaching.com, and, I like that...
    [20:41] <CacherTwo> so do I!
    [20:41] <CacherThree> I am a believer in geocaching.com
    [20:41] <CacherTwo> even if people do tend to take them and keep them
    [20:42] <CacherThree> yes, that is right, CacherTwo
    [20:42] <CacherTwo> I bought a bunch to put in circulation
    [20:42] <CacherTwo> hope that some make it, but if not, I'm not too worried
    [20:43] <CacherThree> I love geocoins, and, would like to have one from every state some day
    [20:43] <CacherTwo> just go to geowoodstock 6
    [20:43] <CacherTwo>
    [20:43] <CacherThree> Oh, Ok!
    [20:44] <CacherThree> I'll check it out
    [20:44] <CacherTwo> CacherSix went out with the coiners for an all night trading session
    [20:45] <CacherOne> how long will I make the poll for? 1 month?
    [20:45] <CacherTwo> I think you should start a discussion thread before starting a poll
    [20:45] <CacherThree> should not take longer than that, do you agree??
    [20:45] <CacherTwo> if you start a poll and then vote, it gets all messed up
    [20:46] <CacherOne> do we need to dicsuss do you want one or not want one?
    [20:46] <CacherTwo> I mean if you vote and then discuss it gets all messed up
    [20:46] <CacherTwo> no, I mean you should post a discussion thread for people to discuss if we want a 2008 coin,
    [20:47] <CacherTwo> then post a poll after say a month of disscussion
    [20:47] <CacherTwo> then, let the poll stay open for a few weeks or so
    [20:47] <CacherOne> ok
    [20:48] <CacherThree> sounds reasonable....
    [20:49] <CacherThree> then.....
    [20:49] <CacherTwo> as much as I want a 2008 coin, there are some that don't think it is good to have a coin every year
    [20:49] <CacherThree> comes the long drawn out process of just what we want the coin to look like, LOL
    [20:49] <CacherTwo> it's better to listen to both sides before casting a vote
    [20:49] <CacherTwo> I like the idea of using a contest like the first coin
    [20:50] <CacherTwo> of course, unless people actually take the time and get creative, there's not much of a contest
    [20:50] <CacherThree> lol
    [20:51] <CacherOne> sheesh. if I didn't know better, I'd say CacherFour replied before I posted
    [20:51] <CacherTwo> wow!
    [20:51] <CacherThree> I am really disappointed in Paul Bunyan not have a red shirt, though, LOL
    [20:52] <CacherOne> Oh I see why - I posted twice!
    [20:52] <CacherTwo> ooops, 1 vote, no discussion!
    [20:53] <CacherThree> I did not think one could vote more than once
    [20:53] <CacherThree> could not vote more than once, that is!!
    [20:53] <CacherTwo> CacherOne posted a pole and a thread, I think he meant to just post a thread
    [20:53] <CacherTwo> you can only vote once and you cannot change your mind
    [20:53] <CacherOne> I was in the process of posting a poll, then exited - but it posted anyhow
    [20:54] <CacherThree> Oh, I see
    [20:54] <CacherTwo> I did that on ebay yesterday, now I have to wait 2 weeks to get my phone fixed
    [20:54] <CacherTwo>
    Last edited by brdad; 11-01-2007 at 06:45 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thumbs up I'm glad to see....

the question of a 2008 coin brought up now. Andy did such a good job again on the 2007 issue. I'm in favor of a 2008 coin. No matter who is in charge of making it happen. Andy, I'm there to help again on the next one. You know you can count on me. The only hard part is getting folks together on design.
    Happy Trails!

Someone in our caching circle mentioned recently how Mainers cache all year round, regardless of weather. Maybe a winter themed coin would be nice. It is true...we have a big obstacle with snow, but I know it doesn't stop us from doing what we do best. I wonder if they can do a liquid free "snow globe" coin? You know, shake it and the snow floats around?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Someone in our caching circle mentioned recently how Mainers cache all year round, regardless of weather. Maybe a winter themed coin would be nice. It is true...we have a big obstacle with snow, but I know it doesn't stop us from doing what we do best. I wonder if they can do a liquid free "snow globe" coin? You know, shake it and the snow floats around?
    Winter theme sounds awesome!!!!

I'm in favor of having a coin every year, but I've heard some good points in the past and want to pass them along here:

1. A coin every other year may be more popular than one every year.

2. The last coin did not sell very well compared to the first coin. Is the market for coins reached it peak or has it slowed too much?