vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do You Like to Read?

Default Do You Like to Read?

RULOST2? and I love to read, but with books costing $5-$8 even at WalMart, it's hard to afford new books.

But we found a new site called BookMooch.com, where you can trade books you have for books you want.

It works on a point system, where you get 1/10 point for each book you list that you have to trade. You get one point for every book you send out, and it costs you 1 point to "mooch" a book. You can see your inventory on the website, and you can lists books you want on your "wishlist". If someone has a book you want, you can either send a "mooch request", or the person with book may also email you and ask if you want it. It's really a great site.

The only cost to you is the postage ( normally $2.13 via "media mail") to send a book. If you send a book to a foreign country, you get 3 points (meaning you can now mooch 3 books), and postage to Canada is less than $3. I've sent about 15 books, received about 10, with another 10 or so in the mail to me.

If you like to read, it's certainly worth trying. You can also get more information from the Wikipedia listing. Email me if you have any questions.

That's a cool concept.

Our local libarary has a book sale a couple of times a year. Usually a large selection of books taken out of circulation for various reasons. They are never over $2.00 each. Their most recent sale was fill a bag (you bring your own or they give you one) for $1.00. A great deal.

The library has a web site which is at http://www.orrington.lib.me.us/index.html

There sales are usually posted there. Know it is a long drive Bruce but just in case you are in or coming to the area.......check to see if they are having a sale.

Why haven't you created a Bookcrossing cache, Bruce? I have seen them mentioned in caches before, and there are only two caches in Maine I can find intended for book trades that mention Bookcrossing.

The "Book-nobile" Cache (GCQGKF) by firefighterjake (1.5/1.5)
    Book Worm (GC12P3K) by team moxiepup (2.5/2)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Laughing Terry had one a while ago - Big Box of Books - it was archived this past year?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Laughing Terry had one a while ago - Big Box of Books - it was archived this past year?
    Yes, Big Box of Books (GCR6N5) by LaughingTerry (1/1) is archived, but didn't mention Bookcrossing, so I didn't post it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    That's a cool concept.

Our local libarary has a book sale a couple of times a year. Usually a large selection of books taken out of circulation for various reasons. They are never over $2.00 each. Their most recent sale was fill a bag (you bring your own or they give you one) for $1.00. A great deal.

The library has a web site which is at http://www.orrington.lib.me.us/index.html

There sales are usually posted there. Know it is a long drive Bruce but just in case you are in or coming to the area.......check to see if they are having a sale.
    LOL! Our library - the Coolidge Library in Solon (of which I am a member of Board of Trustees) - is having a book sale on Nov 10. I'd normally be there helping out, but I have to be in Bangor that day.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Yes, Big Box of Books (GCR6N5) by LaughingTerry (1/1) is archived, but didn't mention Bookcrossing, so I didn't post it.
    That was a good cache. Anyone heard from Terry? He used to be pretty active here.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    RULOST2? and I love to read, but with books costing $5-$8 even at WalMart, it's hard to afford new books.

But we found a new site called BookMooch.com, where you can trade books you have for books you want.

It works on a point system, where you get 1/10 point for each book you list that you have to trade. You get one point for every book you send out, and it costs you 1 point to "mooch" a book. You can see your inventory on the website, and you can lists books you want on your "wishlist". If someone has a book you want, you can either send a "mooch request", or the person with book may also email you and ask if you want it. It's really a great site.

The only cost to you is the postage ( normally $2.13 via "media mail") to send a book. If you send a book to a foreign country, you get 3 points (meaning you can now mooch 3 books), and postage to Canada is less than $3. I've sent about 15 books, received about 10, with another 10 or so in the mail to me.

If you like to read, it's certainly worth trying. You can also get more information from the Wikipedia listing. Email me if you have any questions.
    What genre do you guys like? I've got some books that I did the covers on (my photograph) which are taking up some space . . . most are large print versions.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    That was a good cache. Anyone heard from Terry? He used to be pretty active here.
    I heard Bessie got mad cow disease and ate him when he got too close to her while changing the log in the cache.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I heard Bessie got mad cow disease and ate him when he got too close to her while changing the log in the cache.

wait a minute!! terry isn't organic!! he broke that cows diet!!!!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.