vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maine cache density in Google Earth

Default Maine cache density in Google Earth

Another cacher is in the process of creating software which can plot cache density in Google Earth. It was designed for Linux, and I have not been successful getting that to work yet, but I am getting closer. Anyway I've been playing with a script of my own to create the Google Earth file.

If you want to play with the actual Google Earth kml file here it is: mainecachedensity.kml (469K)

This particular file has all caches ever placed in Maine. The blank areas have no caches, the dark areas have a few, and the red/purple/blue have more, in that order.

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Now if only you could add an overlay with the Delorme Guide map boundaries...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Now if only you could add an overlay with the Delorme Guide map boundaries...

That's a great idea., and much, much easier than cache density. I gotta go play taxi driver right now, but maybe when I get back....
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Delorme Map Grids in Google Earth

How's this, Bruce?

it took a bit more coding than I thought because I decided to add the map numbers above each one.

Let me know if you, or anyone has any suggestions.

the kml file is here.

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Sheesh! Way cool! (Now if you could only do that for Delorme's Street Atlas! LOL! They tell me they can't do it...)

(OK - I saved the .kml file, loaded it into Google Earth, but all I get are the numbers - no map boundaries!) ??

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Way cool! (Now if you could only do that for Delorme's Street Atlas! LOL! They tell me they can't do it...)

(OK - I saved the .kml file, loaded it into Google Earth, but all I get are the numbers - no map boundaries!) ??
    Can you load tracks from your GPS to Street Atlas? I have a track file of the map grid somewhere here...

Hmmm, no map grid....

Newest version of Google Earth?

Let me make sure I uploaded the right file....

Edit: it was the right file.

I was able to cause half of the grids not to show by switching from Open GL to Direct X, so that may indicate there could be issues with some video cards and 3D settings.

Some information regarding video cards and Google Earth: http://earth.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1149
    Last edited by brdad; 11-07-2007 at 04:04 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Can you load tracks from your GPS to Street Atlas? I have a track file of the map grid somewhere here...
    Yes, I think so. Never tried it but it would be worth learning. Can you post the file? Thanks.

There seems there could be an issue with overlays as well, which I used to put the site logo in the ocean.

Try this file, which has that overlay removed.

Looking for the track file as we speak...

Edit: Found the file and attempted to convert it to Delorme Street Atlas format. GPSbabel did not give it an extension, so if SA files normally come with an extension, you will have to rename the file. delormegrid

if it does not work, let me know and I'll find another format to convert it to you can use.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-07-2007 at 04:46 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    How's this, Bruce?

it took a bit more coding than I thought because I decided to add the map numbers above each one.

Let me know if you, or anyone has any suggestions.

the kml file is here.

How does that work Brdad? Do you just copy and paste the whole kml file and then drop it into Google Earth?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    How does that work Brdad? Do you just copy and paste the whole kml file and then drop it into Google Earth?
    Right click the link in the post, and select save as...
    Save to your computer.
    Double click the kml file. If Google Earth isn't already open, it should open it.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!