vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Maine cache density in Google Earth

All it did was open the kml file and didn't open it up in Google Earth. I even had Google Earth open and still nothing.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    All it did was open the kml file and didn't open it up in Google Earth. I even had Google Earth open and still nothing.
    Read my last post

Don't just left click on the file!

Catch me in chat if you still have trouble...
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Google Earth Trouble and Delorme Street Atlas

First let me say thanks for this little gadget... very cool!

As far as not seeing it in Google Earth, I've run into what sounds like a similar problem before of only seeing part of files like this. For instance, I'd try to load a gpx file of caches into GE and only could see a few until I moved the time slider at the top of the screen to full. I found that changing the "Show Time" settings that are under the "View" menu to "Never" eliminated the problem. I can't tell if this is what your having for a problem or not... so I thought I'd offer the idea.

I've got Delorme Topo USA 6 and couldn't figure out a way to import the files that have been listed here so they work. I did, however, discover that the same thing is doable in this program using the polygon tool and drawing them with coordinates. Topo USA 6 will read text files but the necessary format seems to be a little different than most. Here is my first crack at it which is just for atlas pages 22 & 23. I'll try to build the rest but time is a little tight right now. If someone else beats me to it no harm done. I'd be interested to see if Street Atlas can use this file... can someone try it?

BTW... I talked with the Delorme folks this summer about why they didn't build in the ability to reference the Atlas pages into Topo USA 6. The gentleman I spoke with said it probably never dawned on the programmers. I offered my 2 cents saying that they seemed to think of everything else but their own atlas maps. He agreed that was a funny oversight and would list the suggestion for the next version. Time will tell...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

While we are on the subject. Is there a way to show my Maine found caches onto the grid? If I download my My Finds PQ ,can I then export it to Google Earth to show all my Maine finds? That would be a good way to see how many more grids I would need to complete the Delorme challenge. Not that I will ever be able to do the rest of Maine but one never knows.

While we are on the subject. Is there a way to show my Maine found caches onto the grid? If I download my My Finds PQ ,can I then export it to Google Earth to show all my Maine finds? That would be a good way to see how many more grids I would need to complete the Delorme challenge. Not that I will ever be able to do the rest of Maine but one never knows.
    One way for you to do this is to download and install a macro for GSAK.

GoogleEarth.gsk

If you need help installing it, let me know and I will post directions.

EDIT: Actually, I just checked and google Earth can directly load GPX files as well, so forget what I just said. I'm new to Google Earth!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    I did, however, discover that the same thing is doable in this program using the polygon tool and drawing them with coordinates.
    Now that i see your format, I might be able to convert it correctly.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by bgrffdave View Post
    I did, however, discover that the same thing is doable in this program using the polygon tool and drawing them with coordinates.
    Now that i see your format, I might be able to convert it correctly.

EDIT: Actually, if I can only do it if I re-write my script some. If you're gonna do it anyway, assuming it works for anyone else, there's no sense in my doing that. but if that's what it takes, I will.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

brdad, et all...........fyi..........bgrffdave is my techno son........I am really thrilled he has limitedly joined this community........

Guess all I can say it work with him - he will probably work with you.........he is learning too.....but loves this mapping stuff...........
    Last edited by hollora; 11-08-2007 at 09:55 PM. Reason: your edit

[QUOTE=brdad
    EDIT: Actually, I just checked and google Earth can directly load GPX files as well, so forget what I just said. I'm new to Google Earth![/QUOTE]

Hmm, how do you do that?

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    brdad, et all...........fyi..........bgrffdave is my techno son........I am really thrilled he has limitedly joined this community........

Guess all I can say it work with him - he will probably work with you.........he is learning too.....but loves this mapping stuff...........
    I'm glad he's joined in as well - strength in numbers - mental as well as physical...

Hmm, how do you do that?
    In Google Earth:
    From the file menu, choose open....
    In the dialog box that pops up, Click the down arrow next to the Files of type box...
    Select GPS(*.gpx *.loc) from the list
    Find your file and open it!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!