vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for 1st timer GPS

Quote Originally Posted by ten44ten32 View Post
    I've had good luck with mine, although I am still a "rookie" and do not have much to compare it to. I spent about $175ish on my Magellen Explorist 210 Bundle Pack. I guess it may be closer to a middle of the road one then cheaper. My point is just that you do not need to spend a lot of money.
    Hmmm . . . that's a good deal. I bought my 210 (just the unit) for $150 at Circuit City about a year or so ago and at the time I thought it was a pretty good deal with the mapping ability and the internal memory (enough to load up all of Maine). What did you get with the package?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Wow thanks everyone! That was awesome! Some of you put a lot of thought into your responses I see...thank you! It's snowing out at the moment down here and I was just thinking how does this work in winter? I imagine it's more difficult. I have been looking on ebay this morning and have found a few around 60-70 dollars but I'm always leery on getting used stuff especially electronic through ebay.

What about blackberry's and the like. I am looking at trading up my cell phone for one of those...does anyone have any luck using those for this and how would that work? Perhaps it's not even possible. I'm still researching but your comments have definitly helped me in a direction!

Brenda

Quote Originally Posted by bmeserve View Post
    Wow thanks everyone! That was awesome! Some of you put a lot of thought into your responses I see...thank you! It's snowing out at the moment down here and I was just thinking how does this work in winter? I imagine it's more difficult. I have been looking on ebay this morning and have found a few around 60-70 dollars but I'm always leery on getting used stuff especially electronic through ebay.

What about blackberry's and the like. I am looking at trading up my cell phone for one of those...does anyone have any luck using those for this and how would that work? Perhaps it's not even possible. I'm still researching but your comments have definitly helped me in a direction!

Brenda
    Wintertime typically results in a slow down in geocaching for most folks . . . although there are some die-hards . . . and in a snow-less or near snow-less winter the caching activity is increased (since what else are you going to do if you can't snowmobile, ski or snowshoe?) I personally don't relish digging through the snow (I have enough problems finding caches without them being covered in snow), but I have gone out on caches that are rated for winter (you'll see the rating on the gc.com cache page -- these winter-rated caches typically are hidden in trees or areas where you don't have to dig through three feet of snow and ice.)

I assume you mentioned Blackberries for use as a PDA and not a GPSr. I don't have much experience with Blackberries to make much of a recommendation as to whether they are any good or not. It seems that most folks use Palms for the geocaching software . . . I personally have a Palm TX which I like a lot . . . and I use it for a lot more than just geocaching.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Hmmm . . . that's a good deal. I bought my 210 (just the unit) for $150 at Circuit City about a year or so ago and at the time I thought it was a pretty good deal with the mapping ability and the internal memory (enough to load up all of Maine). What did you get with the package?
    Along with the GPSr came: power supply for the car, computer cable, carry case, and MapSend Topo 3D software. I ordered it online from Dick's this spring. It was on sale, but I do not remember what the MSRP was.

You sure are brave to go out shopping on black friday!!

FYI there is a cache at the mall.
    Where is your mother ?? 2 by Doug26 (GCNR0P) it is a multi and you need to gather info in the mall to get the final coords.

Good Luck!!

I saw that one!!! I got kind of excited ... maybe i'll try to do it without a gps unit hehe My phone will tell me the coordinates of where I am but that's it so maybe i'll walk around till the coordinates match! Everyone would be so busy they wouldn't even notice me!

I always love black friday ... usually by 6am i'm tired and ready to go home and go back to bed but there is a bunch of us that always get together as a girls day and make a morning of it. We all have our lists so we plan our stores accordingly and sometimes have to split up if some need something at a different store! I'll be all done this week though except for the stuff I'm making so I get to relax and enjoy the month of December

Thanks for all the tips on what to get and i'm going to try and hit up the meeting on the 28th in Westbrook if I'm able...kind of intimidating but i'm up for meeting new people! I'm going to beat the record of number of caches in a year (I think a new one was just set?) although I can't seem to find the actual number....I love having a challenge!

I was looking into Benchmarks and I can get a bunch of those under my belt asap because I was looking at them last night and know where a bunch are (or used to be)!

Looking forward to meeting all of you!

Also as a seperate question I notice on GC.com when looking up caches in the area there are series (101 dalmations, piano keys, etc...) is there a single web page where all these are located so I can get the information for them all? or do I just need to come across them individually listed till I get them all?

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup View Post
    You sure are brave to go out shopping on black friday!!

FYI there is a cache at the mall.
    Where is your mother ?? 2 by Doug26 (GCNR0P) it is a multi and you need to gather info in the mall to get the final coords.

Good Luck!!

If you become a premium member of GC .com which is $30..00 yearly you will then have the option of creating what they call Pocket Queries. This is a way for you to get any combination of caches emailed to you on a daily basis ,up to 5 a day and then when you have those you can then either use GSAK to download to your GPS or even have both GSAK and Cachmate which you can then use on a PDA which will give you just about everything that is on the cache page at your disposal. This is what they call paperless caching. There is a good tutorial on paperless caching here :http://www.ggaonline.org/resources/p...s_caching.html
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

BRDad may be able to tell you about number of caches in a year - as he keeps stats. I know EMSDanel did 1000 caches his first year. That is an impressive number.

Benchmarks are fun and if they counted for finds a lot of folks could grab some incredible numbers.

It is always fun to meet new cachers. Everyone can learn something from one another both new and old.

As for the series - some folks have made bookmarks for these. I find bookmarks helpful in doing Pocket Queries - as well as tracking where I have been.

Happy Caching and Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    BRDad may be able to tell you about number of caches in a year - as he keeps stats.
    I do like to keep records of Maine caches and the placement of those caches. But I am not so intense on individual cacher stats. 100 finds for me may be as easy (or hard) as 10 for the next guy. That and cache ratings and difficulty skew the whole number game too much for me.

But people can play as they want. I think the nat'l records for finds in a year would be tough to beat unless a person went outside of New England.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."