vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Responsible Caching

The best way to go about this is to post a "Needs Maintenance" note directly on the cache page. In order to do this, click on "log this cache" and in the top dropdown menu, choose "needs maintenance." In your log, describe exactly what you know by stating facts about the log being wet, etc...whatever the case may be. This will put the owner on formal "notice" that it needs to be checked. It is necessary to give the owner a while to respond since you never know what the scenario is with that person, a month is usually the best guideline. If nothing is done after a month, there are two options. You can decide to post a "needs archived" note since the owner has not responded to the requests for maintenance, or you may also take it upon yourself to fix the cache yourself. If it happens to be nearby and it's a really great cache that is worthy of the placement, I would highly suggest the latter, if you can do it. If not, a note on the forum here might yield another local cacher that could help. It's a fine line between helping and fulltime maintenance on a cache.

It would be unfortunate to have a cache archived for the sole reason of a wet log...but sometimes it does happen.

All the scenarios are different, and it's up to you how you would like to handle it. I think it's important to keep the caches here in Maine in the best condition possible...for the pleasure of cachers here and our visitors from away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    It would be unfortunate to have a cache archived for the sole reason of a wet log...but sometimes it does happen.
    A lot of experienced cachers - RULOST2? and I do - carry extra notebooks and plastic bags to replace waterlogged logs. Doesn't cost much, and sure helps both the cache owner and the next cacher to come along.

We also clean out any soaked signature cards and other moldy paper items.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Writers need to get their stories straight before they publish articles like this...part of the following statement is absolutely untrue...

Some of the best caches that I have found (and placed!) are on private land where permission has been obtained.
    I would assume this was a bad way of stating that caches need to be placed on land available to the public. Getting permission to place a cache on private property makes it available to the caching public at minimal. On the other side, there are public areas with potions within which are off limits to the public.

I find myself catching incorrectly used phrases often, like recently I bought something online and the receipt said "Open boxes are not returnable and subject to a 25% restocking fee". I'm going to pay them 25% for them not to take it back????
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I would assume this was a bad way of stating that caches need to be placed on land available to the public. Getting permission to place a cache on private property makes it available to the caching public at minimal.
    I know we're pretty uncomfortable going to caches that say "placed with landowners permission. They like to watch cachers come and go".

I remember one cache in the Jonesport area - you literally had to make your way into the backyard of a house in a residential area...

Default I hear ya Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I remember one cache in the Jonesport area - you literally had to make your way into the backyard of a house in a residential area...
    I passed on that one for just that very reason.
    Happy Trails!

Default Jonesboro Cache

If you are talking about the "Appletree Cache," I went to it and met the lady who maintains it and owns the propertyl She has a really interesting yard. It's definitly planned for people to enjoy.

I thought you did that one Brad?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    If you are talking about the "Appletree Cache," I went to it and met the lady who maintains it and owns the propertyl She has a really interesting yard. It's definitly planned for people to enjoy.
    I believe that is the one......and I shyed away too. It was early in my caching and I wasn't real sure about access. Then again, I have the GPSr that is a few 100' behind most folks LOL! Had heard the cache owner was really nice and enjoyed visitors.

If I remember correctly, this cache page clearly stated it was in someones yard. This allows the cacher the choice of to visit or not. I have one on the edge of my property but can no view it from my house.

As long as the cache page clearly states the circumstances, I'm ok with some of these non-traditional cache placements (with permission).

I did visit that cache, but my concern was that standing at the end of the driveway, I wasn't sure which of TWO driveways to walk down. I finally decided LEFT, and got it right. Felt a little odd until I saw the cache though...

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    I did visit that cache, but my concern was that standing at the end of the driveway, I wasn't sure which of TWO driveways to walk down. I finally decided LEFT, and got it right. Felt a little odd until I saw the cache though...
    Wow - Andy - I hear you there - my old GPSr would probably have given me the same fits.........decisions we all have to make!
    Last edited by hollora; 11-23-2007 at 08:39 PM. Reason: spelling