vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allegash Locomotives

Default Allegash Locomotives

http://www.destinationmaine.com/thoreau/trains.htm

I just found this interesting place. I thought this would be a good place to put a cache. Has anyone ever been to this place? I would like to find the coordinates to it or get a good description on how to get there. Here is a brief explanation of what it is:

In the woods that separate Chamberlain and Eagle lakes on the Allagash, we stumble upon a museum. Or is it a graveyard?

Two hulking locomotives - one weighing 142,000 pounds, the other 180,000 - stand in a clearing before us, their massive frames streaked with rust and their whistles silent.
    Blazing Troll

I've heard of the site and read a few stories about them. I tried to work out a few ATV trips up there, but we never found out if they are allowed in the area. AA1YB's Northern Maine virtual Tour caches, not far from there, were originally traditional caches but some authority (rangers probably, I forget) made him change them to virts.

The trains, however, are on public reserve land, so I am not sure how permission s there. Either way, a cache has recently been approved at the train site. Check out Tramway Treasure .

I'd love to get up there and do that as well as AA1YB's, and a few others in the area.

Hurry, you could be FTF

Thanks Dave. I just received the coordinates from a fellow snowmobiler and was going to post them here for everyone. But since there is a cache there now there is no need to post hte coordinates.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    Thanks Dave. I just received the coordinates from a fellow snowmobiler and was going to post them here for everyone. But since there is a cache there now there is no need to post hte coordinates.
    If you hurry, you can even get FTF! LOL!

I was thinking of snowmobiling to the cache this weekend until I saw how far up north it was. That is a long ways to drive for a day trip. I would love to go to it. That sounds more like a summer camping trip.
    Blazing Troll

M&M from AZ Guest

Default Nine Mile Bridge

You may want to go to the local library and get a copy of Nine Mile Bridge by Helen Hamlin. A great book for the history of the Allagash Area.

I found some more information on the trains if anyone is interested.

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Trains2000.html
    Blazing Troll

Default Amazing trek

That's quite the amazing story Rick, thanks for sharing that with us. Being a former employee of the railroad ,I found it very fascinating.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I've been doing some looking into for these trains because i've been wanting to go up and see them. but when I found this post with a cache, i looked up the cache and saw the nice response the AWW manager left. Is it illegal to travel on the AWW even by foot?? I thought it was public reserve land? Anybody know anything about this stuff?
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357
    I've been doing some looking into for these trains because i've been wanting to go up and see them. but when I found this post with a cache, i looked up the cache and saw the nice response the AWW manager left. Is it illegal to travel on the AWW even by foot?? I thought it was public reserve land? Anybody know anything about this stuff?
    It is classified as a "Wilderness River". This classification is given to rivers with very limmitted access. The land was purchased by the state after a bond was approved by voters who specifically wanted a "Wilderness River".

I'd like to get a cache placed in the AWW that would help explain why the policies are in place.