vb:literal>

Thread: How do you handle it......

Question How do you handle it......

I use GSAK to keep track of caches on my PC and Cachemate on a Palm III when I go hunting. I have not come up with a good way of keeping track of the coordinates for "puzzle" caches though. I have a number of caches that I have solved and am looking for a good way to keep track of them along with the data downloaded from geocaching.com. The little slips of paper are constantly getting lost.

If you are one of the cachers that use the same equpiment, how do you handle the additional coordinates?

A house is not a home without a cat.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby
    I use GSAK to keep track of caches on my PC and Cachemate on a Palm III when I go hunting. I have not come up with a good way of keeping track of the coordinates for "puzzle" caches though. I have a number of caches that I have solved and am looking for a good way to keep track of them along with the data downloaded from geocaching.com. The little slips of paper are constantly getting lost.

If you are one of the cachers that use the same equpiment, how do you handle the additional coordinates?
    make a new data base in gsak and keep them there

I use GSAK as well. I keep track of them with added waypoints.

Highlight the waypoint for which you've solved the puzzle. Right-click and choose Add. At the top of the window click the "Clone/Copy current waypoint" button. This copies in the existing waypoint info. I add a "-S" to the waypoint so I know it's the solution, then enter the solved coordinates.

The advantage here is that it will still show up on my Garmin Mapsource file and get downloaded to the GPSr. However, by cloning rather than changing the existing and pocket query updates will not affect my solved coordinate.

Make sense?

Hi, Sabby! It's real easy and there are a couple ways of doing it. Probably the best way is to enter the new coordinates as corrected coordinates (on the right-click menu). You can also add a note (again with right-click) that GSAK will convert into the most recent log entry when you send your list to CacheMate. This way you can add other relevant info such as parking area or hints that are encoded in ciphertext. I use both methods so the corrected coordinates are what get sent to the GPS, and I have the notes in my Palm, too.