vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cache Rescue

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Cache Rescue

A maintenance issue was brought up about a cache in another thread recently and I thought it might be a good idea to have a place to post about caches that might need maintenance. Sometimes, when caches get archived, the container remains on site. This would be a good place to indicate that so that if someone happens to be in the area, they can stop by and CITO the litter.

Please start a new thread for each cache and indicate it's GC number and Name in the title. Happy Caching!

Title: GCXXXX-Cache Name

Last edited by Cache Maine; 11-23-2007 at 08:57 PM.

There used to be a page on this board that did this for us. I think brdad had a hand in creating it. I may be wrong because I am getting old and forgetting things!!!

Team Teebow 1
    I said WHAT!!! You just took me the wrong way......

No you'e not getting old and it was Brdad who first had a hand in the creation of it. It used to be somewhere in here but I can't find it now either......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The cache rescue section has been removed. Not because of lack of need, but for other reasons.

Perhaps an interested volunteer should keep a separate thread just for this reason, or perhaps if there is enough interest in it, Rick could create a dedicated forum section.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The cache rescue section has been removed. Not because of lack of need, but for other reasons.

Perhaps an interested volunteer should keep a separate thread just for this reason, or perhaps if there is enough interest in it, Rick could create a dedicated forum section.
    Excuse me - is there something I missed? Isn't the separate thread thing exactly what Cache Maine mentioned?

Why do we need any more of a volunteer? This should be self running if folks don't get off thread.

There is surely a lot of administrative stuff I do not know about the site but seems this issue is just one of communication - which is what this whole site is about.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Excuse me - is there something I missed? Isn't the separate thread thing exactly what Cache Maine mentioned?

Why do we need any more of a volunteer? This should be self running if folks don't get off thread.

There is surely a lot of administrative stuff I do not know about the site but seems this issue is just one of communication - which is what this whole site is about.
    I suggested a separate forum category, a place to keep threads concerning cache rescue together, so they didn't get buried in other forum posts.

The other suggestion was for a willing cacher to report caches in one thread. It was just an idea - and probably not a likely one; One of the main reasons I backed off from the cache rescue was that there was so many caches for one person to try to keep track of.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I suggested a separate forum category, a place to keep threads concerning cache rescue together, so they didn't get buried in other forum posts.
    Cache Rescue will have it's own little spot...and I think as long as cachers post the gc and the name in the title of each new thread, it should stay pretty organized. Do you have any really old caches that were on the orginal list that might still be a concern? We could add those as well.

I like the idea of a dedicated forum section for those types of caches.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I sure didn't mean to start up all this trouble by mentioning that some people don't seem to care about their caches after they plant them. Hope I'm forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    I sure didn't mean to start up all this trouble by mentioning that some people don't seem to care about their caches after they plant them. Hope I'm forgiven.
    No trouble at all. The problem is that as some people move on in their lives, Geocaching becomes a low (or non-existant) priority and the cache suffers until someone speaks up and it is archived. Some cachers realize this and archive the cache on their own, but some do not. If nobody spoke up, these abandoned caches would clutter up the landscape as well as our cache queries. It's kind of a natural cycle for some caches. Speaking up initiates the "housekeeping" so to speak.