vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Friendly Caches

Default Winter Friendly Caches

I pulled a pocket query for VT over the weekend to see how many snowflake friendly caches would turn up. It turned up a list of 100 caches in VT and there are probably more but not everyone uses those friendly little attribution icons (snowflake) when placing a cache.

Just a suggestion for those of you who are placing caches in the near future to utilizing those icons on the cache page if your cache is in fact winter friendly. Its a great way to keep geocachers active in the winter months. I was surprised at how many I got from the pocket query.

"It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

You can also look for "not snow friendly" caches, to see the caches that you should wait for.

Default Happy smiley....

That smiley sure looks happy making that perfect snow angel. Mine always have a big indentation right where it shouldn't be. I never thought about pulling a PQ to look for the icon. Thanks for the idea.

Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Yes, that's a great idea - and it would work for other queries too. I try to include those icons with new cache placements. But one can go back and add them too.

Default Does it snow in Maine?

I tried pulling a pocket query in Maine of winter friendly caches, this was the message I received.

Sorry, no results were found for this search.

Does it ever snow in Maine? I don't think enough cachers are using the snowflake icon. I will review mine and add it to the appropriate ones.
    Guess I'll just have to dig them out of the snow, this winter.

DNF/RTD Did not find/Refused to dig

Snow depth chart: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default Winter storm

With the forecast calling for 12-18" of snow for most of the No.New England area. You would think this would curtail a lot of caching. For those of us who will venture out, even if we DNF the cache. I will remember to write in my log if the cache was " winter friendly " or not. If there is no icon to determine if the cache is winter friendly. I look for one that has been found recently, or has a good hint. Otherwise I just enjoy being outside, and not stuck inside the house all winter. I am going to be having a snowshoe event sometime this winter. Possibly in late February or early March. Til then I will be working to make a bookmark of snowshoe caches. If you have a particular area that can be done on snowshoes please let me know.

Default Did I just read..

Snowshoes AND Event.. Count me in!
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    I am going to be having a snowshoe event sometime this winter. Possibly in late February or early March. Til then I will be working to make a bookmark of snowshoe caches.
    We're planning on having our WWWWWW4 event on Feb 23, so if you could work around that weekend we'd appreciate it! LOL!

Default I remember that day.........

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We're planning on having our WWWWWW4 event on Feb 23, so if you could work around that weekend we'd appreciate it! LOL!
    I would NEVER interfere with the WWWWWW4 Event. That one will be very special.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    With the forecast calling for 12-18" of snow for most of the No.New England area. You would think this would curtail a lot of caching. For those of us who will venture out, even if we DNF the cache. I will remember to write in my log if the cache was " winter friendly " or not. If there is no icon to determine if the cache is winter friendly. I look for one that has been found recently, or has a good hint. Otherwise I just enjoy being outside, and not stuck inside the house all winter. I am going to be having a snowshoe event sometime this winter. Possibly in late February or early March. Til then I will be working to make a bookmark of snowshoe caches. If you have a particular area that can be done on snowshoes please let me know.
    and overnight snowshoe/camping event????????????????

(My DOCTOR would like to go to another one of those events...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.