vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin update

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Nope. I'm being nice this week.
    Hoping to get on Santa's "Nice" list for Christmas, eh?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Hmmm . . . I think Magellan "updates" consist of changing the batteries.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Nope. I'm being nice this week.
    Must be in the holiday spirit already huh?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Smile Unsure about downloading from the Garmin site

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX and I'm sure I need to update the software on the unit. It is working nicely, but I have had it for about a year and a half. The only problem I have is the following caveat from the Garmin website. It says:

"This software should only be uploaded to the unit for which it is intended. If this software is uploaded to a GPS unit other than the product it is designed for, it will render the unit inoperative.

If the software upload fails, and subsequent upload attempts prove unsuccessful, the unit may need to be returned to Garmin for service."

Should I be concerned about this especially the second caveat? I don't want to mess up a good thing!

I wouldn't be; just go to the Garmin site and they are specific as to what you need to update for your specific unit. Just download the latest Garmin Updater and you should be good to go.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download.jsp
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Garmin update

Garmin has confirmed that part number 010-10989-51 for the City Navigator North America 2009 Update is exacting the same DVD as the one on this page with part number 010-10989-01. The reason for the slight different in the part number is due to the packaging. The City Navigator North America 2009 Update DVD that we ship is on a plastic clamp shell packaging.
    ----------------
    Hennry

Maine Drug Treatment

Default Note to GeocachingMaine.org Members

Quote Originally Posted by Hennry View Post
    Garmin has confirmed that part number 010-10989-51 for the City Navigator North America 2009 Update is exacting the same DVD as the one on this page with part number 010-10989-01. The reason for the slight different in the part number is due to the packaging. The City Navigator North America 2009 Update DVD that we ship is on a plastic clamp shell packaging.
    ----------------
    Hennry

Maine Drug Treatment
    I'm not sure is "Hennry" is a legitimate member or not. Although he say he's from "Portland", the IP address he joined from - 122.165.25.42 (go to link and enter number) - was issued by an Australia based domain registry commonly used by Chinese spammers. It is registered to a company in India.

Use discretion if you want to correspond with this member.

A bit odd I would say! Talking about upgrading software for a GPS and then getting a note about something unrelated some 6 months later? Hmmmmm?
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Hennry View Post
    ----------------
    Hennry

Maine Drug Treatment
    I would be a bit suspicious based on the fact that in only six lines of text there are three grammatical/syntax errors that might make one think this is someone not completely familiar with the English language (i.e. "is exacting the same DVD", "for the slight different in the part number" and "plastic clamp shell packaging."

There is also the Maine Drug Treatment link (at least I'm assuming it's a link), odd spelling of "Henry" and fact that the first post here is an attempt to sell products . . . and as mentioned by WhereRwe and Gob-ler the IP address is suspect and the fact that this topic is popping up now is a bit odd.

Of course I have been wrong before about prospective new members so who knows . . . maybe some Australian who once lived in Portland who has bad grammar/syntax really felt compelled to comment on an old topic. . . .

I'm not sure is "Hennry" is a legitimate member or not. Although he say he's from "Portland", the IP address he joined from - 122.165.25.42 (go to link and enter number) - was issued by an Australia based domain registry commonly used by Chinese spammers. It is registered to a company in India.

Use discretion if you want to correspond with this member.

I would say I would also be a bit leary in dealing wiht this person for 2 reasons.

1. The software is not packed in Garmin's packaging, IE in a clamp Shell. This smells of at best a grey market product if not a pirated product.

2. The ip used for this member to join is for an isp based in India. From what I know their is not internet providers in the portland area who's IP space was issued for india. My thought is that this person is either 1 not in portland or 2 is doing something to conceal where they truely are located.

[whois.apnic.net node-2]
    % Whois data copyright terms http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

inetnum: 122.165.0.0 - 122.165.31.255
    netname: ABTS-TN-DSL-9111-chn
    descr: ABTS Tamilnadu,
    descr: Access Business Group,DSL Services 101,
    descr: Santhome High Road,
    descr: Chennai
    descr: Tamilnadu
    descr: India
    descr: Contact Person: K R Narasimhan
    descr: Email: *********@airtel.in