Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: nature conservancy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    stonington me
    Posts
    784

    Default nature conservancy

    i just had two of my caches ("barred island...almost" and "crockett cove cache") disabled by geocaching.com due to a request from the nature conservancy. these caches are on island heritage trust land, which works with the nature conservancy.

    needless to say, this was a surprise, as no one bothered to get in touch with me about it. i had just talked to the executive director of iht last week for permission to place a cache at scott's landing. he certainly did not mention it when he gave me permission!

    do any of you know of other caches on nature conservancy land? i am going to call iht tomorrow but don't hold much hope out to get them un-disabled.

    the iht director has mentioned in the past making me remove all my caches from their preserves, but after a much-publicized fiasco involving iht refusing to let the island nursing home use the causeway beach this summer for their yearly picnic, things had gotten better. the director asked me for coords to all my caches, then told me that they are fine and i could keep them.

    heaven forbid that someone walk on their land. i just don't get it!
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by becket View Post
    ...do any of you know of other caches on nature conservancy land? i am going to call iht tomorrow but don't hold much hope out to get them un-disabled. ...
    Yes! There were several caches on Mt. Agamenticus that were removed by the Nature Conservancy. I worked with the manager there and we came up with a plan to allow the caches there. If you want a referance, PM me.

    My advise is to not panic, or be combative, make an appointment, find out what the manager feels is the problem and try to work with them.

    If they have a web page, read that first. It may have some hints as to what goals they have for the land. In my opinion, Geocacing is more likely to enhance their goals than to go against them. Work with them to come up with a good plan to promote the mutual goals.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    stonington me
    Posts
    784

    Default

    thanks, tom! i don't intend to be combative - i just don't see how walking across a beach to find a cache hidden in some rocks is harming anything! i always thought these parcels of land were for people to use and enjoy.
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    One of the reasons these organizations give is that leaving caches in the woods is like leaving trash there. I was thinking about just that subject the other day while I waited in a parking lot at a local store watching a woman leave slips of paper (obviously some sort of advertising) under the wipers of all the unoccupied cars, and watching many people return to their cars only to toss the papers on the ground, or flipping their windshield wipers to free the paper to fly off.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

    "The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by becket View Post
    thanks, tom! i don't intend to be combative
    I know you wouldn't

    Quote Originally Posted by becket View Post
    ... i just don't see how walking across a beach to find a cache hidden in some rocks is harming anything!
    and yet it may be! The more I spend outdoors, the more incredible things I see that I had walked past many time. Lots of times we just walk right over it. Sometimes destroying what we went out to explore.


    Quote Originally Posted by becket View Post
    i always thought these parcels of land were for people to use and enjoy.
    That's probably true, but you never know what the owner of that land asked unless you read the conditions of the trust.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    One of the reasons these organizations give is that leaving caches in the woods is like leaving trash there. I was thinking about just that subject the other day while I waited in a parking lot at a local store watching a woman leave slips of paper (obviously some sort of advertising) under the wipers of all the unoccupied cars, and watching many people return to their cars only to toss the papers on the ground, or flipping their windshield wipers to free the paper to fly off.
    I think it would be a lot easier to convince these organizations that CITO is an important part of geocaching than to convince the public that the people who place these flyers will come back and pick up the trash... LOL!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    becket - I, for one, would have never known the hidden beauty of many places on your precious island had it not been for the geocaches you placed which took me to these areas. Unless you are a person who is really seeking out trails - you miss these places. The new scott's landing area is a perfect example. Many visitors to the island are likely to go whizzing by this beautiful place.

    Most folks with families don't spend the time to research and find these areas unless they live nearby. Having a sport like geocaching introduces folks to areas they might never have found.

    Tom is correct - often the goal is in sight and we just trudge on over stuff we shouldn't - unless we are careful and thinking conservation. To me - this is where our cache page descriptions are so very important. I think of the cache you put out where I saw the most incredible moss I have ever seen in my life. If anyone went trudging off the trail there - they would do serious damage. Hopefully, geocachers are careful.

    Locations of your caches have very fond and beautiful memories for me - I wish you the best in negotiating a resolve. If there is anything we might do - I know you will ask.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Exclamation

    I am also a hunter and these issues are the same that hunters are facing as well. The best advise aside from "asking first" as cachers clearly do, is to treat the land as you treat your piece of this earth. A lot of hunters have lost sight of difference between entitlment and permission and as a result hunting areas have grown dramatically smaller. Caching seems to be an environmentally friendly sport but I can see that we have to be respectful of the landowners or the privileges might be lost. One area of concern I have a new cacher is "parking." While many caches describe the location to park and the trail heads, some do not leading us onto private property. Several in the Boothbay Region Land Trust give no clue where to start. I parked in one obvious place I thought was public and was told "You geo people are making us crazy." So we must be vigilant and sensitive to the rights of others and especially those who allow us the use of their properties.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I am also a hunter and these issues are the same that hunters are facing as well. The best advise aside from "asking first" as cachers clearly do, is to treat the land as you treat your piece of this earth. A lot of hunters have lost sight of difference between entitlment and permission and as a result hunting areas have grown dramatically smaller. Caching seems to be an environmentally friendly sport but I can see that we have to be respectful of the landowners or the privileges might be lost. One area of concern I have a new cacher is "parking." While many caches describe the location to park and the trail heads, some do not leading us onto private property. Several in the Boothbay Region Land Trust give no clue where to start. I parked in one obvious place I thought was public and was told "You geo people are making us crazy." So we must be vigilant and sensitive to the rights of others and especially those who allow us the use of their properties.
    One caution - except in the case of an Earthcache, where to get the placement published you have to state who gave permission for the placement or who owns the land, do not assume permission has been obtained or the placing cacher has asked. I have discovered many caches where this is not the case! Especially if the location has been perceived by the placer to be "public" land.

    There is no question in my mind (and yes, I have placed some) folks do not ask before placing guard rail caches or road sign caches. Rest area caches are another (although I do know some here in Maine permission has been obtained).

    Parking locations for caches is an area where we could improve. That's for sure. This is an instance where a note on the cache page or in your log would be very appropriate when you become away of bothered folks nearby. Sort of a heads up to other cachers and also maybe the owner would revise their listing.

    There are times, in researching before I went (which I do often), I felt the placing cacher was testing the searching cacher to find a way to the cache. Although this may be ok, it does place land owners in a position where they may have intruders. The words "making us crazy" are very strong. I would worry this area may have formal complaints in the future.

    In the case of becket's caches, both are in areas with good parking, kiosks, maps, sign in sheets and nice trails. It will be interesting what precipitated this decision.

    Lastly, I visited a cache in the Wiscasset area this year. Upon leaving the trail, I encountered a very uncomfortable situation in the posted parking where I had left my car. The area was somewhat remote. When I went in I was the only car. Coming out the trail - I was sorry I was caching alone but put on my Self Defense mode/attitude/demeanor, went right to the car and left the area. Talking with another cacher - he also encountered a similar situation with what sounded like the same folks earlier in the year.

    Sharing in the community we can improve. I, too, was a hunter and agree - it is happening with all public access (snowmobiles, snowshoeing, cross country sking, hiking, ATVs, hunters, fishermen, geocaching - you name it). We work together or loose it.

    Welcome aboard!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    ..."asking first" as cachers clearly do...
    The current rules state: "By submitting a cache listing, you assure us that you have adequate permission to hide your cache in the selected location."

    The permission can be a written or oral (asking somebody there who looks official) or the hider simply read all the rules and there were no rules against it. It's often very hard to find out who has authority.

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    ...I parked in one obvious place I thought was public and was told "You geo people are making us crazy." ...
    When this happens, it's a good idea to post a warning in your log or email the reviewer.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •